cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel Extreme Tuning Utility

IM2L844
Level 12
I was under the impression that the Intel XTU only worked with Intel motherboards for some reason, but I just downloaded version 4.2.0.8 to see if the Benchmark and monitoring tools would work with my system and it seems to work fine (not that I plan to use it for overclocking). It appears to report back my system's components and settings with a high degree of accuracy. Is using it bound to cause me problems that I'm unaware of at some point down the road? I haven't found anything at all about it in the forums, but maybe I'm not looking in the right places.
11 REPLIES 11

Chino
Level 15

IM2L844
Level 12
Thanks for the confirmation, Chino. I'm not really sure why I had made that assumption. It just goes to show that all those old sayings that admonish us for assuming things without good reason have some basis in wisdom.

BTW, the XTU is looking like another handy tool to have at my disposal.

Even after running the XTU's stress test for more than 12hrs, H.264 encoding crashed with BSOD. Not the best stress testing app imo.

meankeys
Level 13
I like it as well. Seems to offer a lot of useful info but passing the stress test still will not get you through the encoding of RealBench.
RealBench the benchmark of the year 🙂 = thanks Nodens
Cant wait for version 2
Mkeys

meankeys wrote:
I like it as well. Seems to offer a lot of useful info but passing the stress test still will not get you through the encoding of RealBench.
RealBench the benchmark of the year 🙂 = thanks Nodens
Cant wait for version 2
Mkeys

i can run RealBench for hours but H.264 transcoding in Handbrake causes BSODs. 😞

i don't know what to test with anymore. all of them perhaps.

Anusha wrote:
i can run RealBench for hours but H.264 transcoding in Handbrake causes BSODs. 😞

i don't know what to test with anymore. all of them perhaps.

Haswell requires multiple software tests for stability confirmation. When overclocking Handbrake and x264 HD Benchmark are both sensitive to VCORE. They both use AVX instructions with Handbrake more so than x264 HD Benchmark. The instability usually occurs at the transition to AVX because of voltage lag. Upping VCORE a bit should take care of this.

I wonder if Apptune can be used to load a different profile when RealBench launches the Handbrake application. Probably not, but I might have to try it anyway.

meankeys
Level 13
Hi Anusha
So your saying you can pass the realbench stress test but not the encoding test or you do pass. With Realbench an encoding error with out BSOD add a little more vcore voltage. A BSOD running RB is an indication of unstable memory. try rolling back your memory speed or recheck your memory settings. A list of your system spec's would be helpful.