cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUSDVD - bug

Symho
Level 7
Hi to all,

here we are for the new ASUS'bug! The movieplayer included in the G750, OEM software, it is a Cyberlink product, specifically it is PowerDVD 10. This software has a bug that stop playback when you play a bluray. On Cyberlink web page there is it a patch but on ASUS web there isn't. WHY?

LINK
ASUS G750JZ - T4044H with GX1000 black
7 REPLIES 7

Prostar_Compute
Level 9
Asus' R & D I'm sure has their hands full with their own products' quality assurance. They can't keep up with all the third party stuff. That's a good find on your part, though! I recall PowerDVD having a nuance many versions ago with DVD playback, when resuming (it would hang).

We customize Asus, MSI, and Clevo laptops!

hmscott
Level 12
Symho wrote:
Hi to all,

here we are for the new ASUS'bug! The movieplayer included in the G750, OEM software, it is a Cyberlink product, specifically it is PowerDVD 10. This software has a bug that stop playback when you play a bluray. On Cyberlink web page there is it a patch but on ASUS web there isn't. WHY?

LINK

It looks like the date of the latest update to PowerDVD 10 was 5-6-13, which is right around the time the G750 builds were already completed for shipping.

"2013-05-06

Updates PowerDVD 10 Ultra 3D Mark II to build 5223
Installing this patch update resolves issue where program sometimes crashes when starting Blu-ray Disc playback. For more detailed information, hover your mouse over the “i” icon on the right”."

Did your G750 come with a blu-ray drive? My G750JX came with a DVD drive, so the included Cyberlink PowerDVD 10 wouldn't play blu-ray discs, so I swapped in an LG CT40 BDR.

I didn't bother trying to update the PowerDVD 10 to play Blu-ray, instead I downloaded the newest version:
http://www.cyberlink.com/downloads/trials/powerdvd-ultra/download_en_US.html

It isn't unusual to have to update included Cyberlink software to get it to work. The included versions are always way old / out of date as that is what is available to OEM's to include with their systems. I have had to update the included Cyberlink software every time.

These days I purchase the latest version once a year and install that on the computers I want to watch Blu-ray's on.

hmscott wrote:
It looks like the date of the latest update to PowerDVD 10 was 5-6-13, which is right around the time the G750 builds were already completed for shipping.

"2013-05-06

Updates PowerDVD 10 Ultra 3D Mark II to build 5223
Installing this patch update resolves issue where program sometimes crashes when starting Blu-ray Disc playback. For more detailed information, hover your mouse over the “i” icon on the right”."

Did your G750 come with a blu-ray drive? My G750JX came with a DVD drive, so the included Cyberlink PowerDVD 10 wouldn't play blu-ray discs, so I swapped in an LG CT40 BDR.

I didn't bother trying to update the PowerDVD 10 to play Blu-ray, instead I downloaded the newest version:
http://www.cyberlink.com/downloads/trials/powerdvd-ultra/download_en_US.html

It isn't unusual to have to update included Cyberlink software to get it to work. The included versions are always way old / out of date as that is what is available to OEM's to include with their systems. I have had to update the included Cyberlink software every time.

These days I purchase the latest version once a year and install that on the computers I want to watch Blu-ray's on.

... and yes! I have a Blu-ray drive. My G750 model is CV038H!

Symho wrote:

... and yes! I have a Blu-ray drive. My G750 model is CV038H!

You could play Blu-rays out of the box?

And, you could update the Cyberlink software to the latest version because it had been updated by Cyberlink after Asus built the G750 OS install?

So, what is there to complain about?

hmscott wrote:
You could play Blu-rays out of the box?

And, you could update the Cyberlink software to the latest version because it had been updated by Cyberlink after Asus built the G750 OS install?

So, what is there to complain about?

On my VAIO Sony update all the software in it. Corel WinDVD too! Do you know what it means OEM?

Symho wrote:
On my VAIO Sony update all the software in it. Corel WinDVD too! Do you know what it means OEM?

Actually, now that I think about it, noone hosts Cyberlink software updates except for Cyberlink.

Symho wrote:
On my VAIO Sony update all the software in it. Corel WinDVD too!

I have no problem updating third party software myself. I don't expect Asus to keep up with Cyberlink updates. I have always gone to Cyberlink for the latest updates. Same for Dell laptops.

On HP and Sony laptops I always disable the update tools. I don't need all that extra hand holding.

Would you sit there suffering with a problem with your third party software waiting for Sony to push through testing an update, or update it yourself as soon as it is available on the third party software site?

I would rather Asus keep doing what they are doing, putting out amazing hardware. 🙂

But, if you think Asus should do a better job of supporting updates to third party software automatically, you could let them know directly:
http://support.asus.com/contactus.aspx

A direct request through Asus Feedback would be another input besides the support Forums, and might get noticed better than amid all the forum posts.
http://vip.asus.com/VIP2/Services/QuestionForm/Complain