cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VI Gene memory slots

MrWiggles
Level 7
Hi! New user with an old question that I'm still confused on (sorry for bringing it up again!)...

I'm about to add two sticks of Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 to my Maximus VI Gene. In which slots should I put them? The user manual says the following on page 1-9:

Indicating that I should use slots A2 and B2 (the black slots). However, the last page (1-24) of the same section says:

Indicating that I should use A1 and B1...

So, which is it? Does it really matter? Why do I insist on obsessing over such things? I've read a number of threads as well as stickied posts that one or the other is correct--so now I'm confused! I'd really appreciate any help/advice anyone can provide. Thanks!
6 REPLIES 6

Thanks very much, Chino!

Praz
Level 13
2 sticks at 1866MHz speed either set of slots will most likely work as well. When pushing either the speed or timings the red slots should be used because of trace optimization.

Thanks, Praz.

For anyone, an unrelated question: any idea why I might not be able to disable CSM? Trying to optimize for a Win8 UEFI install and when I disable CSM and restart I get the following error: "the current BIOS setting do not fully support the boot device..." No OS is currently installed, all new hardware:

i4670k
MVIG
16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866
Asus GTX 780
Samsung 840 EVO
Corsair AX860i

MrWiggles
Level 7
I'm dumb...didn't realize that I needed to have the USB key inserted (no DVD drive) to have an alternate boot option (as opposed to the unallocated space on my EVO). Once it was in, I could disable CSM with no problem and install. Thanks for the other help again anyway!

Praz
Level 13
Glad you got that sorted. That message is normal if there are no bootable devices connected.