cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage IV Extreme random lockups

michaelgqld
Level 7
Hi everyone. My RIVE is around 1 year old, it originally had stability problems and was RMA'd from my local retailer to ASUS who found a fault and repaired it. Even so my system has never been fully stable with this motherboard cpu combo. What happens is at random times, usually after the computer has been running for several hours, it will hard freeze. By that I mean everything is still displayed on screen but nothing works and the reset button is the only option. There are no blue screens or anything like that.

When it locks up, anything that is USB powered will shut off like you have pulled the device's plug out from the computer and when the reset button is pressed the computer will power down and then turn on again. This happens even with everything set at default or auto in the BIOS, RAM clocked at 1333 and has happened on all BIOS versions.

My CPU is a 3820, I am using 8gb (4x2) corsair RAM 1600MHz and the power supply is a Corsair HX850. Memtest86 always shows the RAM has no problems and the system will run IBT, prime95 and even furmark with no problems until the usual lockup happens. This has been ongoing basically since I got the board and is very hard to test because at times it may take 12 or 13 hours for the lockup to happen and I can't always run it for that long.

Anyone got any ideas?
8 REPLIES 8

Chino
Level 15

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Yes, that sounds typical of RAM problems....you using a single kit or two kits? But might be SSD firmware...driver problems corrupt OS. have you tried clean installing OS? Any clue from Event Viewer?

How do you run the RAM...at BIOS defaults...XMP? Hve you Memtested at stock and at XMP settings?

Let us know the exact kit and if you are OCing anything...CPU GPU...

Thanks guys, sorry for the late reply. The memory is 8gb from 2 tripple channel kits from my old 1366 platform "XMS3 — 6GB Triple Channel DDR3 Memory Kit (CMX6GX3M3A1600C9)" except mine are a C8 version. I've tried running it at bios defaults (1333 9-9-9-24 1.5V,) XMP and manually setting the ram specs for 1600 (8-8-8-24 CR2 1.65V) I have tested with memtest all 3 setups and the ram will pass, nothing overclocked at all. I was told it should work OK as the channels are in the motherboard.

From what you guys are saying I'm thinking it's a memory compatibility issue.
I have been planning to upgrade the RAM anyway and have been looking at "G SKill 32G(4x8G)DDR3 2400Mhz PC3-19200 F3-2400C11Q-32GXM" or "G SKill 32G(4x8G)DDR3 2133Mhz PC3-17000 F3-2133C10Q-32GXM"
Maybe I need to do that sooner rather than later. Are these kits good?

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Yes, I think the memory is the problem. The best kits for X79 are the G.Skill Ripjaws Z series..The black kits. I would recommend one of those...

Zka17
Level 16
Hm... I would say first that it's a RAM-related issue too... - but passing memtest86+ does not support this...

How about your graphics setup? How many graphics cards you have and are you OC'ing them? If yes, have you tried the graphics at it's defaults?

Also, you could check the Event Viewer in OS to see what is going wrong...

michaelgqld
Level 7
I have tried a clean install of Windows 7 X64 Ultimate. I have even tried an Ubuntu live USB with prime95 on it and it will lock up there too. I have 2 HD6970s in crossfire, I run them at standard clocks and have tried each card on it's own so it seems fairly certain that it is the RAM.

The G-Skill RAM I'm looking at are RIPJAWS X and they are blue. I am also pretty much limited to the one retailer and what they have due to the fact I have credit there and it's the only way I can afford the upgrade right now. I'm looking at 32gb because I not only game but also 3d model and rendering as I am studying game development. I'm also looking to upgrade my cpu to a 4930K later on.

The kits I was looking to buy are
http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f3-2400c11q-32gxm

My retailer does have another of the gskill kits that are ripjaws z and are red that are $50 more. They do specifically list for quad channel/x79 as well
http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f3-17000cl11q2-32gbzl

HiVizMan
Level 40
G SKill 32G(4x8G)DDR3 2133Mhz PC3-17000 F3-2133C10Q-32GXM

These are my sticks of choice for your system set up.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

nleksan
Level 10
http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f3-17000cl9q-16gbzh

Those are not only my choice of memory for this platform, but they're one of my favorite memory kits of all time. They are insanely flexible for overclocking (I have hit 2600 with no more than 1.665v vDIMM), timings are very good, they run CR1 right out of the box, and they look nice too 😉