cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Method should I install Windows 7 under UEFI or Legacy

izzyreb02
Level 9
Hey, I just receive my Raidr on Friday and apparently when I install Windows 7 Ultimate 64x (in UEFI) on the usb stick the load time still looks the same as my SSD was on my OCZ Vertex 3 that I use to have on there.

It didn't even load fast with the windows 7 logo and I disabled the Asmedia USB 3.0 in the bios on my Rampage IV formula and its on the last PCi Express 16x slot.

I'm just thinking if it get better performance wise just re doing it on Legacy mode.

If I was intended to use Windows 8 then everything can go by the UEFI settings with CSM disabled right?
8 REPLIES 8

Deon017
Level 8
I had problems installing the first time around and finally installed it as Legacy - but saying that found later that my PCI-E slot was set to auto -which was running x1 - do not know why auto is only x1 with the card - had to set it manually - and that you have to setup RAID in your Bios - after that I got good speeds out of the drive - also allot of software emulations - RAM Disk setup- hope this helps you

izzyreb02
Level 9
Ah but when I first installed this card, this card is already had raid installed on it. Unless I have to go in the chipset section side and instead of ACHI I put it in RAID mode instead, even though I'm not using Raid on the Sata.

Deon017
Level 8
you have to setup RAID - the card is not reconfigured as RAID - you have to do that through your MB chip set - you have to create RAID 0 -

Deon017 wrote:
you have to setup RAID - the card is not reconfigured as RAID - you have to do that through your MB chip set - you have to create RAID 0 -

Not really. There is a Raid 0 already build on the Raidr when i put it out of my box. No need to build it. Thats just needed after youve done a firmwareupdate because for that you have to kill the Raid 0.

Everything else doesnt make sense for me.

izzyreb02
Level 9
I put the switch in Legacy mode, went in the Marvel Settings itself in the bios, Delete the current Raid that I made from the Software Marvel Utility, Rebuild the raid (the bios Marvel utility). Turned off the computer, put it the Raidr back on UEFI and reinstall windows from the USB stick.

I cant really tell the difference really but I guess that's what happens when you have a UEFI bios but not a proper supported UEFI on the windows 7 itself.

HiVizMan
Level 40
You have to start off in Legacy to have the RAID drive set up. Then once you have done so then you go over to UEFI. There is a guide here on the forum how to do this by the way. Think it might be a sticky post. Will check.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Nodens
Level 16
Also there is absolutely no chance that legacy will perform faster (specially in booting). Have in mind though that with Win7 CSM can not be disabled and that alone limits how fast you can boot anyhow.
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

izzyreb02
Level 9
Yep, I notice that a long way back that I had to keep CSM enabled on windows 7 to have it working properly, having it disabled just made it load faster but cant see the screen no other than just the windows 7 loading screen.

I did have doubts about using Windows 8 due to driver conflictions (BSOD) and the Phoebus sound card itself since it has conflictions with apps like Netflix etc. I haven't even come across BSOD on Windows 7 but when I roll on Windows 8, theres a bound to come across one, I don't know if its due to driver confliction but I guess I wait till things start to mature in drivers.

But In the mean time at least I have a good Raid 0 card that I don't need to install Raid controllers and have Trim Support :3