cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery Throttling Fix => New 208 JX and 205 JH BIOS on support.asus.com

hmscott
Level 12
** Update: It looks like I am the only one seeing input lag on Bios 208 under CPU load, so please do try it for yourself, using the Balanced Power Plan on 208 gives me the best result now, and I am staying on 208.

JX BIOS options. Earlier there was only version 207. Asus added two versions of the battery throttling fix BIOS version 203 as well as the newest 208.
English/US link: http://support.asus.com/Download.asp...50JX&p=3&s=521

Version 208
Description BIOS 208 (G750JX)
Fix that CPU and GPU will be throttled immediately when change to DC mode.
File Size 2,25 (MBytes) 2013.09.22 update

Version 203
Description BIOS 203 (G750JXA)
File Size 2,23 (MBytes) 2013.09.22 update

Version 207
Description BIOS 207
1.Update EC firmware
2.Support new power 4 gear
File Size 2,25 (MBytes) 2013.06.05 update

On my JX I am running version 207, so I assume I will update to 208 with the battery throttling fix.

** Update: It looks like I am the only one seeing input lag on Bios 208 under CPU load, so please do try it for yourself, using the Balanced Power Plan on 208 gives me the best result now, and I am staying on 208.

Why did Asus provide version 203 with the battery throttling fix as well? I did notice that the version 208 is for G750JX and version 203 is for G750JXA... what does the JXA indicate?

JH BIOS options. Again, not sure why 2 versions of the battery throttling fix BIOS, 205 and 203. Version 204 was the only BIOS listed earlier.
English/US link: http://support.asus.com/Download.asp...50JH&p=3&s=521

Version 205
Description BIOS 205 (G750JH)
File Size 2,21 (MBytes) 2013.09.22 update

Version 203
Description BIOS 203 (G750JHA)
File Size 2,23 (MBytes) 2013.09.22 update

Version 204
Description BIOS 204
Fix that Keyboard light will fade out after a while in AC mode
File Size 2,21 (MBytes) 2013.08.08 update

70 REPLIES 70

hmscott
Level 12
BIOS 208 gave me responsiveness problems after update, under battery *and* under AC power, so I reverted to BIOS 207.

The default behavior of Winflash is to not allow installing older dated bios on top of newer bios. To override you can start via command shell and add /nodate to the command line start up of Winflash, or you can add /nodate to the "Target" properties of the shortcut.

Note that this version of Winflash doesn't actually do the BIOS flash from Windows, Winflash only schedules the BIOS Flash to be done at the next reboot. Upon picking the BIOS, clicking "Flash" and then clicking "Exit", Winflash reboots Windows and the BIOS Flash is done after the reboot.

hmscott
Level 12
** Update: It looks like I am the only one seeing input lag on Bios 208 under CPU load, so please do try it for yourself, using the Balanced Power Plan gives me the best result now.

Here is what I found when testing the new 208 BIOS for G750JX

Scheduled BIOS Flash via WinFlash, rebooted - flashed new bios - booted into Windows - logged in - SHIFT-CTL-ALT rebooted to check UEFI changes - didn't notice anything new except version number, booted into Windows.

Set CPU/GPU to default/stock settings (Intel XTU / Asus GPU Tweak) - so was running at 3.2GHZ CPU 797mhz/4008mhz GPU.

1) With AC plugged in, started PRIME95 with 8 threads, task manager showed 2.98ghz 100% CPU

2) unplugged AC cable power from laptop, power plan automatically switched from Power4Gear High Performance to Power4Gear Power Saving, task manager showed 1.49Ghz at 100%, everything seemed ok.

3) Had jerky mouse, didn't think anything of it as PRIME95 can do that, although I hadn't seen it before on the G750JX, but when I selected power plan Power4Gear High Performance while under battery mode CPU went to 2.8ghz, then the mouse froze.

4) Had a tough time getting mouse control long enough to make any change, so I plugged in the AC cable, and after a couple of *minutes" I was able to click through and end the PRIME95. Mouse control still was jerky for while.

5) With PRIME95 ended, while waiting for mouse control to come back, I noted the CPU speed drop down below 1GHZ, usually it doesn't drop below about 1.2ghz while idle.

Then I tried a series of tests trying to see if responsiveness could be found with Power4Gear Battery Saving mode while running 4 threads of PRIME95 - no such luck.

After a couple of more tests, with reboots in between to see if that would help, I thought I should go back to 207 and try the same tests and see what happens.

While I have been writing this I am back on BIOS 207, on AC , on Power4Gear High Performance, running 8 threads of PRIME95 + Intel XTU 3.6ghz + Asus GPU Tweak 932mhz/5000mhz, and no lag, freezing, or other non-responsive symptoms.

I unplugged the AC from the laptop, screen dimmed as it switched to Power4Gear Battery Saving, still running the 8 threads and still at OC settings, with no lag / unresponsiveness - but of course the CPU speed dropped to .79ghz, and GPU dropped to 135mhz/810mhz.

Before this I had set up ThrottleStop 6.0 BETA to run on battery at reasonable speeds above .79ghz, in case I need to run on battery, which isn't often.

I don't have ThrottleStop set to run at boot time and to automatically set values at every boot - so it wasn't part of this test. But, I thought I should mention that I didn't see any mouse freezing or unresponsive behavior while using ThrottleStop at any value I set.

I am not recommending ThrottleStop, and I am not sure it is safe to override settings with ThrottleStop in short term or long term use.

Given the CPU speed difference between Power4Gear Battery Saving / High Performance (1.49ghz vs 2.8ghz peaks) it looks like Asus is doing some fun on the fly tuning that might be causing problems under CPU load extremes in BIOS 208... I might wait till 209 shows up with some tuning changes before I try again.

Please post your experiences / what you see after going to BIOS 208 (you can always revert to BIOS 207).

And, JH guys, what are you seeing?

** Update: It looks like I am the only one seeing input lag on Bios 208 under CPU load, so please do try it for yourself, using the Balanced Power Plan gives me the best result now.

I had upgrade my G750Jx's bios to version 208... now my note is it blocked! When I press power button I see black screen and after 5 seconds the note automatically power off! :mad:

Thanks ASUS!
ASUS G750JZ - T4044H with GX1000 black

Now that I know I can get back to BIOS 207, with everything ok, I decided to go back to BIOS 208 to do some more testing.

While running on Battery, the responsiveness problem comes up when leaving the auto-selected Power4Gear Battery Saving Mode and selecting Power4Gear High Performance, which kicks up the CPU speed.

I was able to get screen shots under both Power4Gear modes while on battery, but when saving the screen shot while running the Power4Gear High Performance mode the keyboard became unresponsive and lost chars as I was typing in the name to save. I clicked Save, and shutdown the Prime95, and then rebooted.

While I was back on BIOS 207 I ran ThrottleStop, and took a screen shot while on Power4Gear High Performance, with Intel XTU set for OC to 3.6ghz and Asus GPU Tweak at 932/5000, and there were no responsiveness problems for the 20 minutes I ran under battery - estimated battery time went from just over an hour to 40 minutes.

I think for now I am going to continue to run under 208 to see if I notice any other oddities. I mostly run AC powered only.

Symho wrote:
I had upgrade my G750Jx's bios to version 208... now my note is it blocked! When I press power button I see black screen and after 5 seconds the note automatically power off! :mad:

Thanks ASUS!

I had the same issue, after installing 208 bios update black screen and would not boot. To fix it: restart-F2 to get to BIOS and "load Default settings", it will fix the boot issue.

Hello guys,
after i load the bios with winflash, i click flash and then exit to restart, but when i click exit it doesen't auto restarts. I restarted manualy but bios 208 for G750JX is not flashed. I have the same problem with another laptop from Asus N750. What can i do?

villiansv
Level 11
Just my 2c - after updating to 208 on my JX, I have absolutely no issues at all. No need to throttlestop any more on battery, otherwise it is working same as always. I don't use power4gear though, just the builtin windows power centre with some customized schemes. All in all, the last minor annoyance I had with the laptop is now gone.

villiansv wrote:
Just my 2c - after updating to 208 on my JX, I have absolutely no issues at all. No need to throttlestop any more on battery, otherwise it is working same as always. I don't use power4gear though, just the builtin windows power centre with some customized schemes. All in all, the last minor annoyance I had with the laptop is now gone.

villiansv, did you do any heavy CPU / Graphics intensive testing? Did you try to play any heavy duty games, run benchmarks, or otherwise load the laptop up while on battery - or are you doing light usage / browsing and looking at the CPU speed - what is your usage test while on battery?

The Power4Gear power plans are installed by Asus and automatically go to them in the 208 bios, so did you uninstall the Power4Gear Hybrid package? Even if you have your own plans set up, it will switch to the Power4Gear plan(s) if available.

Symho
Level 7
It's funny! I had press repeatedly the F keys and now PC gone! Now I'll try restart... What happening?
ASUS G750JZ - T4044H with GX1000 black