cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750JX Bios 208 Should I?

UltimateKyo
Level 7
Hi Guys,

I really do hate the DC throttling problem on my G750JX but so far I had seen quite a few bad experience said by some G750JX users after they upgraded their Bios to 208. So I would like to call upon you guys to help me decide whether should I give it a go to upgrade my Bio ffrom 207 to 208? Note that I do hope to do some Final Fantasy 14 gaming on both AC and DC as well.

Thanks in advance!
12 REPLIES 12

hmscott
Level 12
UltimateKyo wrote:
Hi Guys,

I really do hate the DC throttling problem on my G750JX but so far I had seen quite a few bad experience said by some G750JX users after they upgraded their Bios to 208. So I would like to call upon you guys to help me decide whether should I give it a go to upgrade my Bio ffrom 207 to 208? Note that I do hope to do some Final Fantasy 14 gaming on both AC and DC as well.

Thanks in advance!

UltimateKyo, already discussing here:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?37647-New-208-JX-and-205-JH-BIOS-on-support.asus.com&countr...

You will need to decide based on your usage, whether it makes sense for you to try. If you want low load usage under battery to be available at higher performance, then I would give it a try.

You can always re-flash BIOS 207 if BIOS 208 doesn't work for you.

For me I will likely go back to 207 since 208 isn't stable under multi-core load, the keyboard/mouse becomes "sticky" then unresponsive for periods of time. It requires a reboot to get out of that unresponsive state - plugging power back in doesn't fix it.

But, if you are only doing light usage under battery, BIOS 208 will likely help make usage more responsive.

I haven't tried any gaming under BIOS 208, that might be something you can do 🙂

UltimateKyo, I tried running Empire: Total War. I let it run in Single Player, Tutorial, Land War to watch the graphics. The graphics were glitchy / laggy.

The GPU stays down clocked to 135mhz which makes running at the same graphics settings laggy - I guess I will make a new profile with the graphics settings de-tuned for lower GPU speed.

I Alt-TAB'd back to Windows to get screen shots of the transition from AC to battery. It takes 2 screenshots as the Asus GPU Tweak tool monitor program scrolls 2 pages to show all the values gathered. The graph kept scrolling to the left, so the 2nd screenshot has the dip in GPU speed moved to the left too.

Thanks for the information hmscott, but just to check with you whether you are testing using 207 bios with throttlestop or 208 bios?

UltimateKyo wrote:
Thanks for the information hmscott, but just to check with you whether you are testing using 207 bios with throttlestop or 208 bios?

Under 208, I haven't gone back again to 207. Other than a brief time this morning when I went back to 207 to make sure I could, and ran a ThrottleStop test, I have been on 208. For the notes in this thread, I have been on 208.

Most recently I tried ThrottleStop 6.0 on 208, and that cured the lag I was experiencing.

Later I will do more testing to determine which setting I have adjusted in ThrottleStop fixed the problem - time for me to shutdown for a while 🙂

BlapX
Level 7
hmscott, u are horny for Bios version 207 or what? The only thing i have seen u do today is telling everybody to stick to the 207 bios. When the 208 is just working fine and is even better?

BlapX wrote:
hmscott, u are horny for Bios version 207 or what? The only thing i have seen u do today is telling everybody to stick to the 207 bios. When the 208 is just working fine and is even better?

you should read what people post with more attention. All he's been saying is that under SOME cpu loads, he's experiencing some slowdowns, so people should consider which BIOS version would benefit them most. What's the matter with some people on this board?
ASUS G750JX -- i7-4700 - 16GB - 128GB 840 PRO SSD + 1TB HDD - Nvidia GTX 770M - 120Hz 3D glossy display

BlapX wrote:

That's an interesting take on the situation Blapx, but no, I am running BIOS 208 and have been all day.

I am seeing a lag issue when stressing the CPU, and if you aren't seeing a problem that's fine, go ahead and use BIOS 208.

And, everyone else just like you will try BIOS 208 and decide for themselves whether to keep running it or not.

I don't really care what anyone else runs, I am only reporting the problem I am seeing, and trying to isolate the cause to suggest a fix to Asus.

You can follow along and I will post updates, but if you don't care, then just ignore the thread.

hmscott
Level 12
Ok Guys, it looks like I am the only one seeing lag issues with 208, so please do try it for yourself. 🙂

UltimateKyo
Level 7
Chill Guys, anyway thanks a lot for all the replies given especially hmscott for his detailed explanation of Bios 208. I will try them out soon and will also post if I face any issues like anyone else is facing. Wish me luck =D