cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAXIMUS VI IMPACT + ZALMAN RESERATOR 3 MAX + Fan Xpert2 = CPU Fan 0 rpm @ Startup!!!

Alvaro_Suarez
Level 7
On every system restart, at login screen, CPU Fan drops to ZERO rpm.

During startup, all the fans start spinning normally, but once it gets into the Login screen the CPU Fan stops spinning completely.

So after login, I have to load my profile then its back to normal,,, i'm afraid to leave the computer running.

I have already done the Fan Tuning in Fan Xpert 2 many times but same result everytime.

Already tried changing the fan curves in Xpert 2 but they seem to revert back to their defaults.

Already tried mucking with FanCalibrationData.xml but I see no change after rebooting.

Already tried mucking with FanStore.xml but that does not seem to work either.

Can someone please help me? Thanks!
9 REPLIES 9

Abula
Level 9
What headers are you using on the Resonator pump and fan?

Only the CPU_FAN is a true PWM fan header, the other CHA_FAN (1,2,3) are Voltage controlled headers.

I been testing some fans with FanXpert2, and using some PWM fans on Voltage controlled headers sometimes turns unstable, like they are not design to operate lower than 12V, in some cases my fans stops.

Please post to what header is the pump and fan connected? are you using a PWM splitter to connect both to the CPU_FAN header?

Thank you Abula for your quick reply.

The pump is a 3-pin connector connected to the CPU_FAN
The fan-radiator is a 4-pin connector connected to the CHAN_FAN2

I have the CPU Fan set as 'Advance Mode' in the CPU Q-Fan Control in the Bios since the manual states "Advance Mode - When a 3-pin CPU fan is installed, select this mode for the DC mode Q-Fan Control"

Not using a splitter. Should I?

Also, my Xpert2 profiles work fine, its just at startup that I get ZERO rpm on the CPU Fan,,, is there a way to just load my fan profile at startup?

Alvaro Suarez wrote:
Thank you Abula for your quick reply.

The pump is a 3-pin connector connected to the CPU_FAN
The fan-radiator is a 4-pin connector connected to the CHAN_FAN2

I have the CPU Fan set as 'Advance Mode' in the CPU Q-Fan Control in the Bios since the manual states "Advance Mode - When a 3-pin CPU fan is installed, select this mode for the DC mode Q-Fan Control"

Not using a splitter. Should I?

Also, my Xpert2 profiles work fine, its just at startup that I get ZERO rpm on the CPU Fan,,, is there a way to just load my fan profile at startup?

Try the following,

Enter the bios change the Q-FAN for CPU_FAN header to AUTO, this will revert the CPU_FAN header operation to PWM control.

Since you say the pump is 3pin, connect it to CHA_FAN (which ever is closer for your convinience), and connect the 4pin PWM fan connector to the CPU_FAN, and re do the fanXpert testing/calibration, reboot and see if you enter wiht 0 rpms.

Ok, will try your suggestion tomorrow,,, have to go to sleep. Thank you and i'll post tomorrow.

In Xpert 2 for my CPU Fan settings, there is a RPM Mode, once I set it to that and manually set my Fan Speed after rebooting now CPU Fan works fine now. Though I don't the AUTO Fan monitoring its better than the ZERO rpm. Thank you.

Alvaro Suarez wrote:
In Xpert 2 for my CPU Fan settings, there is a RPM Mode, once I set it to that and manually set my Fan Speed after rebooting now CPU Fan works fine now. Though I don't the AUTO Fan monitoring its better than the ZERO rpm. Thank you.
I never really messed with rpm mode, but i would think its a fixed rpm, no increase or decrease with temps.

I still will suggest that you switch the PWM fan to the CPU_FAN header, its the only true PWM fan header, even if the others headers have 4pin they are not true pwm fan headers, so they are adjusted via voltage. Some PWM fans dont like this, and become unstable. Since you pump is 3pin, i see no reason to have it on the only PWM fan header you have, it will behave the same as in CHA_FAN header, where the PWM fan could benefit not only out of working how it was design but might reach lower. Here is an example using the same PWM fan on different headers,

Good point Abula,,,, will try that out,,, won't be until a couple a days though,,, will post results then. Thank you. 🙂

Abula wrote:

I still will suggest that you switch the PWM fan to the CPU_FAN header, its the only true PWM fan header, even if the others headers have 4pin they are not true pwm fan headers, so they are adjusted via voltage. Some PWM fans dont like this, and become unstable. Since you pump is 3pin, i see no reason to have it on the only PWM fan header you have, it will behave the same as in CHA_FAN header, where the PWM fan could benefit not only out of working how it was design but might reach lower. Here is an example using the same PWM fan on different headers[/IMG]

That worked,,, makes sense after you explained it,,, many Thanks!

Alvaro Suarez wrote:
That worked,,, makes sense after you explained it,,, many Thanks!
Nice that it worked out, glad to help.

Now you can drop the rpm mode and go back to AUTO, and do the fanXpert2 calibration again and the fan should not enter with 0 rpms, as this time will test with the PWM fan and will drop it as low as it can without stopping or going to 0rpms, and will net you lower noise.

Good luck,