cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Performance help hmscott or anyones advice and suggestions please

fab5yo
Level 7
Hey hmscott you are always giving good input on the ROG forum and just wanted to know if you could help me out on getting my system up to speed to yours. So i just bought 3dmark and i did a test on my g750jx i don't understand all the benchmark stuff but if there anyway you could help try to make my system any better or as good as your that would be great . Here a link to my results on fire 3d mark

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/1265335?

and i have done all the updates on support asus.com expect the bios 208 and windows 8.1 i also noticed that we have different drivers installed. i have the lasted version on Nvidia 327.xx which came out a few days ago. please anything will help thanks again i know i am new to the ROG and this my first time getting in to PC gaming with awesome ASUS G750jx please i just to make my system the best it an be. Thanks
28 REPLIES 28

hmscott
Level 12
fabyo, happy to help, it is fun to OC, but time consuming. I hope others post their favorite benchmarks, tools, and tuning tips here too.

You need at least 2 apps to tune for better performance on the G750. One for CPU and one for Graphics. And, a monitoring tool for both - but in this case both tuning tools come with their own monitors.

ASUS GPU Tweak
http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=GPU+Tweak&p=9&s=13

Version 2.4.3.1

Description ASUS GPU Tweak utility 2.4.3.1 version
support WINDOWS 8.1 PREVIEW
File Size 23,72 (MBytes) 2013.07.24 update

This is what it looks like, 2 panes, one for setting, one for monitoring - the monitoring one has a slider to view more values/graphs. These are my current everyday settings. But, I OC per benchmark, some take 5500mhz memory, some 5150 - all run fine at stock voltage at highest GPU OC - 932mhz.

Intel XTU or Extreme Tuning Utility will allow increasing / decreasing various CPU / integrated GPU settings. For the G750 I bump all the multipliers for core/cache up to maximum, and then reduce the Voltage Offset down (negative) as much as possible to reduce power / heat under load. I start at -100mv. My G750JW was stable at 100% CPU at -100mv. My G750JX is mostly stable at -75mv, but I run it at -50mv to be sure it is stable.

Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel® XTU)
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/motherboards/desktop-motherboards/desktop-boards-software-ext...

Here is the profile I am using, you can unzip and Import the .xtu file into your XTU in the Profile section (see jpg):

There are lots of system monitor programs, I will post some more of those later. And, there are lots of benchmarks. You already are running 3dmark and 3dmark11, which are a good start, and shareable over a long period of time - which is why they are so popular.

Here is my 3dmark Fire score, after using Asus Tweak Tool and Intel XTU + some Nvidia control panel, 3d tuning.
http://www.3dmark.com/fs/855082

3dmark Ice Storm
http://www.3dmark.com/is/871697

3dmark Cloud Gate
http://www.3dmark.com/cg/776752

3dmark11
http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/7147510

What drivers were you referring to that you have that are different?

I am running Nvidia 327.23 WHQL release driver, and all the latest Asus drivers downloadable from support.asus.com.

The 3dmark results are from 326.80, but I am getting about the same numbers with the 327.23 release so I haven't rerun them all and posted them online.

Flea0
Level 10
hmm what would be the battery life savings by undervolting 50 mV on the JX?
ASUS G750JX -- i7-4700 - 16GB - 128GB 840 PRO SSD + 1TB HDD - Nvidia GTX 770M - 120Hz 3D glossy display

Flea0 wrote:
hmm what would be the battery life savings by undervolting 50 mV on the JX?

Ah, we are all thinking in terms of battery now 🙂

No, it is a heat issue, reducing the heat generated for long running CPU intensive work. Reducing heat reduces the fan noise, and can result in a higher sustained CPU speed - like right now, I was running at 0mv (no negative offset) and was running at 3.19ghz, and now at -100mv it is running at 3.36ghz!

Temps:

0mV

-100mV

CPU Speeds:

0mV

-100mV

Flea0
Level 10
I'll take lower heat and fan rpm. If it means less fan noise and slower dust buildup, it's worth a shot.
ASUS G750JX -- i7-4700 - 16GB - 128GB 840 PRO SSD + 1TB HDD - Nvidia GTX 770M - 120Hz 3D glossy display

Flea0 wrote:
I'll take lower heat and fan rpm. If it means less fan noise and slower dust buildup, it's worth a shot.

The only thing to be aware of is that putting in too much negative voltage will cause a crash/reboot. Always keep a mental, or written note of your tweaks / tuning per machine, in case the crash happens days after the change.

That is why I run some heavy CPU tests after changes like negative voltage offset to make sure it is stable. My current laptop won't hold -100mv long term under load, just -50mv, but I wanted you to see the wide difference in temp/speed between 0 and -100mV. If you don't run 100% CPU jobs often, you might get away with -100mv or more - I was able to run -150mV on my G750JW except on longer 100% CPU jobs.

If you start at -50mv you should be fine. I do the bump it up till it fails easily route, gets me to the right values quickest, then drop down +25mV till it works, and then use +-5mV till I find stability at 100% CPU usage over a few hours.

Flea0
Level 10
well I stress tested a little with a simple -100mV undervolt and no multiplier increase and got an 8°C reduction in top temps so this is quite nice if it holds up. does it revert back to default voltage when rebooting?

Flea0 wrote:
well I stress tested a little with a simple -100mV undervolt and no multiplier increase and got an 8°C reduction in top temps so this is quite nice if it holds up. does it revert back to default voltage when rebooting?

XTU sets tunings for you automatically each reboot. If you crash, you need to start XTU manually, select Profile - Show Values - Apply, and new settings persist across reboots till the next crash - note: nvidia driver crashes don't count to XTU as crashes.

Flea0
Level 10
sounds simple enough. now if only there was a way to undervolt the gpu too to shut up the other fan a little, the G750 would be almost silent when browsing (the only time I'm not listening to audio, which makes their sound noticeable). unfortunately afterburner doesn't seem to want to play along. did ASUS lock voltage control on the gpu?

Flea0 wrote:
sounds simple enough. now if only there was a way to undervolt the gpu too to shut up the other fan a little, the G750 would be almost silent when browsing (the only time I'm not listening to audio, which makes their sound noticeable). unfortunately afterburner doesn't seem to want to play along. did ASUS lock voltage control on the gpu?

I was using Afterburner at first, but Asus GPU Tweak Utility works better with Asus parts, has a larger range of OC, and does voltage too - although I haven't played with under-volting much yet, give it a try and let us know how it works 🙂