cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confirm SLI Configuration

kzinti1
Level 7
This is just a build prep inquiry.
I am awaiting a 2nd Galaxy GTX 470 for 2xSLI. The slots that I'll use for these cards are slots one and three, correct? Will I need a longer SLI connector?
I've never tried SLI before. Any suggestions, hints & etc will be thoroughly appreciated!
These cards will be air-cooled (non-reference pcb's, so no future water-cooling for them) in a CoolerMaster HAF-X with the internal gpu fan duct and a 120mm fan installed.
CPU and, later, full mobo watercooling will be used. Silverstone Strider 850 watt already installed.
Starting w/c loop install now.
I'll be using an i7-920. I intend to OC it 'til it cries.
TIA for any advice! :cool:
My name is Legion; for we are many.
11 REPLIES 11

Retired
Not applicable
The manual notes to use slots 1 and 3 for full x16 bandwidth to each card. (page 2-28) This allows for some healthy ventilation to both. You should be able to use the 3-way SLI connector that came with your R3E.

I haven't done SLI in a while, good luck with it!

Thanks Eric! I read the manual but the 1-3 slot set-up just didn't sound right. I guess it's because of all the posts I've read over the years of people complaining about their cards running so hot because of close spacing. I should've realized this ROG board would compensate for such things. I certainly feel better now!
My name is Legion; for we are many.

Retired
Not applicable
SLI will work on any of the slots. 1 - 3 will work best with the spacing and heat issue.

Retired
Not applicable
This is true. I went from slots 1,2 to 1,3 and Windows score went from 7.7 to 7.8, though it should be 7.9 since I'm running 2 ASUS ENGTX480s. Still have some tweaking to do.

Retired
Not applicable
it would be interesting to see how much of a point difference spacing would make on a 3dmark bench. mind testing for us victus?

Brian@ASUS wrote:
it would be interesting to see how much of a point difference spacing would make on a 3dmark bench. mind testing for us victus?

Good call. Experience test is a vague benchmark at best.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Retired
Not applicable
Sure, if I can get it installed. I could have sworn the cards or some other piece of hardware came with 3dmark to install. I'll check it out tomorrow when I'm home. I'm in class until late tonight then headed to a friends house for a party. I'll try and get them on here within 24 hours.

EDIT: Found out what it came with...The R3E. Installing now and will run tests. Expect them within the hour.

Retired
Not applicable
Running the performance test using slots 1 and 3, ended up with a score of 18,223. I'll run the slots 1 and 2 test after work tomorrow.

EDIT: After doing some comparing. I believe something is wrong, be it my fault or some other factor. I looked up what scores one card puts out, and it's apparently what mine together scored at. When I find the time, I'll be checking over all my drivers and figure out what's up with the configuration. Sorry these results aren't coming back in the fastest manor.

Retired
Not applicable
Update: Just figured out an issue. Noticed it last night and didn't check it out until today. It seems, when I removed the single SLI bridge and replaced it with my Tri SLI bridge, it reset to using only one card. So now, I have both engaged and the scoring came back as follows.

Using slots 1 & 2

Using slots 1 & 3

So as you can see, performance went up, but not significantly. One thing to note [You can watch the videos to see for yourself or listen rather]. The temps are the change. When I ran the 1 & 2 test, temps were at GPU1:92, GPU2:90 at peak and fans were at about 80% at least. When I ran it with slots 1 & 3, temps didn't go over 85c and fan speed was low. So the Rampage III Extreme is 100% built for a 1 & 3 slotting system to decrease the noise factor and power consumption for sure. Not to mention, keeping the temps lower than what they need to be.

Also, this is for Brian mainly. I installed the 3DMarkVantage program via the Rampage III Extreme disc and it said it was for the advanced edition. Though when I go to the 3DM website, it shows I have the standard. Any chance you can shed some light on that?