cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750JW adding a SSD

Ovelha
Level 7
Hello, i just bought my G750JW and it does not come with a SSD, so i bought one haha
now i really don't know what to do. do i need a driver? how can i put my windows 8 there?
Thank you for your time! 😄
70 REPLIES 70

cosmicmango
Level 10
Ovelha wrote:
Hello, i just bought my G750JW and it does not come with a SSD, so i bought one haha
now i really don't know what to do. do i need a driver? how can i put my windows 8 there?
Thank you for your time! 😄

If you're not going to do a clean install of Windows 8 the easiest way to load the SSD is with Asus Backtracker, you can download from the link below.

Download and install the program, you will need a 16GB flash drive, if there’s data on the drive make sure you back it up because everything will be deleted during the installation process.

When it’s finish shut down your system and swap out the HDD with the SSD, plug in the flash drive and the installation will start. When it is finish it will put everything as it was right out of the box.

http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&s=480&m=ASUS Backtracker&os=&hashedid=n/a
G752VY-DH72

the 750jw was a very nice laptop before but when i added the 840pro 256gb ssd this little laptop just went to work in straight god mode. so so fast. lol

cronik916
Level 7
i have a 750JW as well and i did the same, bought a samsung 840 pro 256gb and did exactly as cosmicmango suggests. worked fine. make sure u put your ssd in the other hard drive slot first and boot up and format it / make sure its in guid format. then just shutdown and take out HDD and plug the ssd in its place after u made the asusbacktracker cd image. leave the HDD out and boot up with usb in and ssd in primary slot. cheers

cronik916 wrote:
make sure u put your ssd in the other hard drive slot first and boot up and format it / make sure its in guid format.

In what format? Can't find out anything by Googling. NTFS ok?

noone wrote:
In what format? Can't find out anything by Googling. NTFS ok?

for windows partitions, yes.

the whole disk is in GUID format. thats the header at the start of the disk. (another choice could be MBR)
the individual partitions, you can have many, can be ntfs (for windows), fat32, hfs+ (for mac os x), and there are others.
Asus G750JX-CV050H||GTX770M||24GB ram||120hz 3D screen||
1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD||500GB Crucial M4 SSD||500GB Crucial M4 SSD in DVD Bay
free bag and mouse :cool:
win 8.1||win 7||win xp||server 2008||os x mavericks||linux mint 16

(Huge Faking Noobie here) Why can't you just simply add the ssd to the right bay? Also for the Asus Backtracker, I'm seriously clueless.

So if I put my SSD at secondary drive, cant I use it at primary? At warranty it is written that touching or removing parts avoid the warranty and I really dont want to risk! I am waiting your advice.

Thanks.

eldi_el wrote:
So if I put my SSD at secondary drive, cant I use it at primary? At warranty it is written that touching or removing parts avoid the warranty and I really dont want to risk! I am waiting your advice.Thanks.

eldi_el, the stuff under the bottom access panel is ok to touch - the 2 drive bays and the 2 SODIMM ram slots can be modified.

The best way to add the SSD, is to clone what you have to it while it is in the 2nd bay, but after cloning swap bays - put the SSD in the boot bay - Bay 1.

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

It would also be good to put the original HD aside and preserve it in case you need to send the G750 in for service. I put my 1TB drive into an external USB 3.0 enclosure, and use the DATA partition for backups. This keeps the heat from the HD out of the G750. After running the HD in the external case check the temperature of the case, it gets hot even just at idle. 🙂

You could also remove the HD, and put the SSD into Bay 1 and use the Asus Backtracker 16GB USB 3.0 flash recovery drive you made to recover to the new SSD - you end up with an out of the box original Asus OEM Windows configuration on the new SSD.

Have fun, and let us know how it works out 🙂

hmscott wrote:
eldi_el, the stuff under the bottom access panel is ok to touch - the 2 drive bays and the 2 SODIMM ram slots can be modified.

The best way to add the SSD, is to clone what you have to it while it is in the 2nd bay, but after cloning swap bays - put the SSD in the boot bay - Bay 1.

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

It would also be good to put the original HD aside and preserve it in case you need to send the G750 in for service. I put my 1TB drive into an external USB 3.0 enclosure, and use the DATA partition for backups. This keeps the heat from the HD out of the G750. After running the HD in the external case check the temperature of the case, it gets hot even just at idle. 🙂

You could also remove the HD, and put the SSD into Bay 1 and use the Asus Backtracker 16GB USB 3.0 flash recovery drive you made to recover to the new SSD - you end up with an out of the box original Asus OEM Windows configuration on the new SSD.

Have fun, and let us know how it works out 🙂

Hey,

Thank you for your answer and advices. I thought to keep hdd as a mass storage. So you say that it is hot even when it is idle. Thats bad.

So cloning process should be done by asus backtracker or samsung Ssd has clone software, that would be enough?

Additionally, I think I SHOULDNT DELETE anything from Hdd since it will cause some problem about warranty if I send my computer to Asus service?

Besf Regards