cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus V and Linux (Ubuntu)

Brekz
Level 7
Hi there,

I can't install Ubuntu 11.10 on my Computer with a Maximus V Extreme. Although I disabled Secure Boot in the UEFI-Bios and manually choose the installation CD in the UEFI-Bios it still hangs up early during installation. The only thing I see, is a Ubuntu screen, after that the screen stays black. Anyone here who succeeded in doing that or did I overlook sth as a Linux rookie?

Brekz.
3 REPLIES 3

billyray520
Level 10
Why Ubuntu 11? I have Ubuntu 12.04 LTS dual booting with Windows 7 Pro.

Are you dual booting?

What I did:

* I had only 1 hdd installed on my MVE; the 1 TB hdd @ 7200. (this would ultimately become my 😧 drive in Windows.)
* I partitioned the disk for Ubuntu to have the last partition of about 150 GB. The other partition would ultimately be for Windows.
* I installed the 64 bit version of Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (that I downloaded and put on a DVD.)
* I had grub2 install this disk as a boot disk.

Then:

* I booted Ubuntu successfully on that drive.

BIOS settings:

* Launch CSM: enabled
* Boot device control: UEFI & Legacy
* All others on that screen: Legacy
* Secure boot state: enabled
* Platform key: unloaded
* OS type: Other

Then:

I installed my 256GB SSD (as C: drive)
* Installed Windows 7 Pro

Windows boots up automatically

To boot Ubuntu, I must first use F2/Del to enter BIOS, then I select boot from 😧 drive. I think F12 might pull up a boot menu, but I don't do that. Also you can create a SuperGrub Disk (CD) to boot Ubuntu with. I could have done things differently, but I prefer to keep the Ubuntu system as a sort of stealth OS. :cool:

Are you installing Ubuntu on a SSD or HDD?
Asus Maximus V Extreme BIOS 1903, see specs above avatar.

Asus G73 jh A1 laptop, BIOS 213, vBIOS OD2, 8 GB Ram, 240 GB Intel SSD, 180 GB Intel SSD. Win 7 Pro. Purchased new from PowerNotebooks.com in May 2010.
(both have 1920X1080 hd screens, mine above, hers below )
Asus G73 Sw XR1 laptop 8 GB Ram, 160 GB Intel SSD, 80 GB Intel SSD. Purchased used >Ebay 1/10/13, Did clean install of Windows 7

Thanks man, now it works.

The problem I had wasI had to plug in only my HDD and DVDRom-drive while the other drives were unplugged. And I recognized that there can be an error when you try to install via the ASMedia SATA-Slots. So I chose the Intel SATA6.0 slots and it worked. There were many file systems to choose from, I chose the one on top. Is there one to recommend?

I wonder if the above works with a SSD as well, maybe I'll try using Ubuntu on another SSD, then.

Glad to hear it works! 🙂 I'm not sure what the "top" file system is, but hopefully it's EXT4 That is the file system you want to use so that it is compatible with an SSD (either now or in the future.) EXT4 has TRIM support.

Using Ubuntu on an SSD is not as straight forward as Windows 7 is. There are many things you need to do to "optimize" your system. Google for all sorts of advice on that topic. For example TRIM is not automatically enabled in Ubuntu. Further, you'll have to decide whether you want an automatic TRIM (which may slow down your system) or a manually run TRIM at convenient times. There are some other tweaks to keep UBUNTU from over using the SSD for basically useless time stamp writes etc. as well as disabling hibernation and the swap file (or adjusting its usage.) This all applies to Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.

Google for ways to speed up Ubuntu if that is why you are resisting 12.04 LTS. Unity can be disabled too if that's the reason.

Enjoy your MVE with Ubuntu. It should be blazingly fast even on a hdd! 😉
Asus Maximus V Extreme BIOS 1903, see specs above avatar.

Asus G73 jh A1 laptop, BIOS 213, vBIOS OD2, 8 GB Ram, 240 GB Intel SSD, 180 GB Intel SSD. Win 7 Pro. Purchased new from PowerNotebooks.com in May 2010.
(both have 1920X1080 hd screens, mine above, hers below )
Asus G73 Sw XR1 laptop 8 GB Ram, 160 GB Intel SSD, 80 GB Intel SSD. Purchased used >Ebay 1/10/13, Did clean install of Windows 7