cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can i unistall windows 8.1 G750JX?

Al_Jourgensen
Level 7
Hello comunity

i want to install Windows 8.1, in my notebook with Windows 8 and the recovery partitions, what i want to know is, if i install 8.1, and want to unistall it, can i recover from the recovery partitions, and get back to Windows 8, without the recovery drives being untact?
i have na Asus G750JX with 2 drives, the 2nd one is empty

i heard about "ASUS Back Tracker" first to backup everything to an external USB Flash Disk before i do any attempts trying to install Windows 8.1

how can i use this tool to get back to factory settings?

i make a recovery, from the recovery partitions with Windows tool, can´t i just boot from that usb stick?

thank you very much for your atention
6 REPLIES 6

Pitcher1
Level 9
i think you can update to 8.1, if you are not damage with recover partitation, you can flash back 8, you can ask service center to how to update, alos you can take to service center to update.

wrong answer my friend sorry

what i have to do is use Macrium Reflect Professional or other similar, so i can then image whole drive or partitions to external USB, Hard drive or DVD's. and also make sure to make rescue media disk.

from there, i install Macrium, in win 8.1 environment, and then run the image, with the partitions, that i have created.

and that´s how i can get to factory settings, from 8.1

by the way thank you for your attention and consideration

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Al_Jourgensen wrote:
wrong answer my friend sorry

what i have to do is use Macrium Reflect Professional or other similar, so i can then image whole drive or partitions to external USB, Hard drive or DVD's. and also make sure to make rescue media disk.

from there, i install Macrium, in win 8.1 environment, and then run the image, with the partitions, that i have created.

and that´s how i can get to factory settings, from 8.1

by the way thank you for your attention and consideration

Hi, sounds like you have already found a solution, so if you're not interested in discussing more, don't worry about replying.

Anyway, if you or anybody else would like to talk about it more, had some thoughts and questions below.

1. Not sure if you are installing Win8.1 Preview or Win8.1 RTM, but there may be some difference if it matters.

2. According to the Microsoft Win8.1 Preview FAQs here, it has this question and answer:
-----------------------------------
"Can I uninstall Windows 8.1 Preview?
Uninstalling the preview isn't supported. However, it may be possible to restore your entire system to its factory condition."
-----------------------------------
This information indicates you don't need to back up the factory image to restore it after installing Win8.1 Preview, but it's probably a good idea to back up the recovery partition anyway using ASUS Backtracker at the ASUS download site here or other methods just in case you ever need it.

3. If anybody is interested in installing Win8.1 Preview, it sounds like it will make the update to Win8.1 more complicated, so in my opinion, I would stay away from it if you don't want the hassle and just wait for the Win8.1 official release instead.

Why would you need to create partitions to restore a Macrium Image?
I would agree with cl-albert Backtracker will restore you to factory shipped condition. Also I'll be waiting for the final release of 8.1 and then do a Clean Install.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Clintlgm wrote:
I would agree with cl-albert Backtracker will restore you to factory shipped condition. Also I'll be waiting for the final release of 8.1 and then do a Clean Install.

I haven't fooled around with Macrium Reflect yet, but sounds like it would back-up your entire hard drive image which you may want to do before installing Win8.1 (Preview?) ?
Otherwise, if you aren't worried about saving any data, ASUS Backtracker will help you save and restore the just the original factory image.

Yes, for those who prefer to avoid the hassles, it's better to just wait for the official release of Win8.1.

Clintlgm wrote:

Waiting for Windows 8.1 final? urgggh,,, the final has been released a month ago

RTM = Release To Manufacturing = same as final

that's the verison they send to OEMs to preinstall on the laptops they sell so it IS the final and the MSDN hashes match the ones of the leaked Windows 8.1 RTM
ASUS G750JX-CV050H
CPU: i7-4700HQ @ 2.40 GHz.
Memory: 32 GB DDR3 1600 MHz. Hynix RAM
Graphics: GeForce GTX 770M 3 GB GDDR5 RAM
Storage: 256 GB LiteOn LCM-256M3S SSD + 1 TB Seagate Momentus ST1000LM024 5400 RPM HDD
Screen: 17.3"Full HD 3D Glossy Screen