cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750, new but no turbo boost?

Malakie
Level 7
I have a G75vw unit and because it is kick butt, I decided to buy a second unit going with the G750jx model.

However I have noticed that Turbo Boost appears to not be working on the G750jx model. The clock never changes from the 2.4 g setting even in games. I checked the bios and all the drivers that came with the unit were pre-installed unless something is missing and not included with the unit... What am I missing? If I remember, are these units not supposed to ramp up the clock speed as needed and drop back when not? The G75vw does no problem.
Take it light....

Malakie

11 REPLIES 11

Flea0
Level 10
it absolutely should boost up to 3.4 ghz. did you try using intel extreme tuning utility to double check?
ASUS G750JX -- i7-4700 - 16GB - 128GB 840 PRO SSD + 1TB HDD - Nvidia GTX 770M - 120Hz 3D glossy display

Flea0 wrote:
it absolutely should boost up to 3.4 ghz. did you try using intel extreme tuning utility to double check?

Yes checked it out... it just sits and 2.4 ghz and never moves up or down.
Take it light....

Malakie

Malakie wrote:
Yes checked it out... it just sits and 2.4 ghz and never moves up or down.

Check the Control Panel => Power Options => set the power plan to Balanced and see if the CPU speed goes up - what power plan are you on when you check?

If you have the Power4Gear Hybrid package installed, and switch to Battery, the power plan will automatically switch to Power4Gear Power Saving, and that plan keeps the clock speed down hard - it will go up but takes a long time.

Normally you could also go into the BIOS and set defaults - to clear the CMOS options in case they got corrupted, but I don't think there are any settings in the BIOS for this laptop that would affect the CPU speed.

hmscott wrote:
Check the Control Panel => Power Options => set the power plan to Balanced and see if the CPU speed goes up - what power plan are you on when you check?

If you have the Power4Gear Hybrid package installed, and switch to Battery, the power plan will automatically switch to Power4Gear Power Saving, and that plan keeps the clock speed down hard - it will go up but takes a long time.

Normally you could also go into the BIOS and set defaults - to clear the CMOS options in case they got corrupted, but I don't think there are any settings in the BIOS for this laptop that would affect the CPU speed.

After my last reply I took a deeper look and realized this unit has the Power4Gear running... I changed power to Windows balanced mode and it started working perfectly...

So then I tried playing with Power4Gear settings but no matter what I do, it just sits at either 2.4ghz OR 3.4ghz... It does not adapt the clock at all on this unit.

It seems to work right on my G75VW system but not on this new G750jx model.... I can get it to drop on battery mode alone in Power4Gear but that is not what I am looking for.

Basically I want the same as the first laptop... It runs at slower cycles doing mundane things but maxes out performance when I run a game or something intensive like that... and then when I exit it drops back down to lower cycles again..

Will keep trying but I cannot seem to get this working like it does on the G75vw unit.
Take it light....

Malakie

Malakie wrote:
After my last reply I took a deeper look and realized this unit has the Power4Gear running... I changed power to Windows balanced mode and it started working perfectly...

So then I tried playing with Power4Gear settings but no matter what I do, it just sits at either 2.4ghz OR 3.4ghz... It does not adapt the clock at all on this unit.

It seems to work right on my G75VW system but not on this new G750jx model.... I can get it to drop on battery mode alone in Power4Gear but that is not what I am looking for.

Basically I want the same as the first laptop... It runs at slower cycles doing mundane things but maxes out performance when I run a game or something intensive like that... and then when I exit it drops back down to lower cycles again..

Will keep trying but I cannot seem to get this working like it does on the G75vw unit.

The Power4Gear Hybird plans aren't working like normal for me either, that is why I uninstalled them. I was using them on a G750JW ok (at least I didn't have a problem at the time), but shortly after I upgraded to a JX the 208 BIOS came out and that is when I had the problem with the Power4Gear power plans - it may be that the BIOS 208 update now requires a Power4Gear update - or both need updating - to work correctly again.

hmscott wrote:
The Power4Gear Hybird plans aren't working like normal for me either, that is why I uninstalled them. I was using them on a G750JW ok (at least I didn't have a problem at the time), but shortly after I upgraded to a JX the 208 BIOS came out and that is when I had the problem with the Power4Gear power plans - it may be that the BIOS 208 update now requires a Power4Gear update - or both need updating - to work correctly again.

Ahhh that would explain it then... I need to also check my BIOS because I did not know about any update... although I thought the ASUS update software was supposed to inform me.... hmm..
Take it light....

Malakie

Malakie wrote:
Ahhh that would explain it then... I need to also check my BIOS because I did not know about any update... although I thought the ASUS update software was supposed to inform me.... hmm..

There are specific new updated BIOS's for each model, make sure you get the correct one - the Winflash BIOS flash scheduler seems to catch incorrect BIOS's instead of installing them, but iftis good to provide it with the correct BIOS to begin with.

The new BIOS removes the lock at .79ghz while on battery.

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
hmscott wrote:

It may not be necessary, but if you plan to update Power4Gear, you may also want to consider updating the ATK driver as well and I'm seeing the latest versions below on the ASUS download site for the G750JW and G750JX under the 'Utilities' section.
Yes, I'd try the latest bios first though if you don't already have it.

Power4Gear Hybrid Utility, Version V3.0.5
ATKACPI driver and hotkey-related utilities, Version V1.0.0030

cl-Albert wrote:
It may not be necessary, but if you plan to update Power4Gear, you may also want to consider updating the ATK driver as well and I'm seeing the latest versions below on the ASUS download site for the G750JW and G750JX under the 'Utilities' section.
Yes, I'd try the latest bios first though if you don't already have it.

Power4Gear Hybrid Utility, Version V3.0.5
ATKACPI driver and hotkey-related utilities, Version V1.0.0030

I had Power4Gear Hybid Utility v3.0.5 installed - that is the one I had problems with BIOS 208 and uninstalled.

I had/have ATKACPI 1.0.0030 installed.