cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3970x , Quad-SLI 690k , Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400C9, RIVE woes :( - please help

Wayâ__
Level 9
Hi everyone,

Motherboard model:ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
UEFI Version :0023 - new beta BIOS updated yesterday
Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3-2400 CL9 1.65v (CMD16GX3M4A2400C9)
GPU: Gigabtyte GTX 690 x 2
SSD/Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB / ASUS DVD/RW 24x
PSU: Corsair AX1200i
USB Devices (model/version number): None
CPU Cooler:Corsair H100i with SP120 Fan kit
PC CASE: Corsair 600T Graphite White
Operating system: Microsoft Activated yes/no? Yes - Windows 7 Enterprise x64
Drivers Installed (include version): 326.80
Any third Party temp/voltage software installed: AIDA64/CPU-Z/GPU-Z
System Overclocked (provide details)? Default settings , Gamers OC Profile loaded , X.M.P Selected 45 Core multiplier , 2400Mhz target Ram Speed.

Issue

Recently upgraded from Sandy to a lovely lga2011 setup. I have however not been able to get my machine to run Battlefield 3 without it locking up / crashing or stuttering quite badly...

I am very open to any advice here and will give as much info as I have on hand !
I've just done a fresh install of Windows thinking it could possibly be the cause of the crashes but alas ... not the case... Sometime the game runs for an hour , other times 30 seconds , with no real error... sometimes hard locks, other times CTD.

I've tried various configurations of GEN3/GEN2 - using the patch , reverting etc ... still no luck whatsoever. Also tried running a single 690 which seems to remove the ingame stutter , but occasionally still hung. GPU's never exceed 65degc/ Running Stock clocks.

GPU-Z Always shows my cards running on PCIE 3.0.

Now the funny thing is that I can run PRIME and AIDA64 stability test without any issues for some time... I do notice my CPU declock under load at times which I guess is normal ? My CPU temps peak high 65 - 70deg/c.

The exact same hardware ran perfectly on my Z77 Sabertooth with a 3770k @ 4.8Ghz, and some G.SKill ARES 2133 ram...

So any suggestions welcome ! Thanks in advance !!

:(..........
22 REPLIES 22

vennacher
Level 7
What do you have your LLC set to? I have 3970, with 2x 690, and 64GB RAM. At 45x multiplier I need voltage under load >1.375. You might try LLC high, or offset +0.60v with LLC regular.

This will probably increase temps, but needed to increase Vcore since like you I was PRIME stable (and burn test stable) but not game stable.
MB : Rampage IV BE. - Bios 0801
CPU : i7 3970x @ 4500 MHz, Offset +0.030v, Regular LLC, Fixed Frequency 750, C1E Enabled, C3/C6/C7 Disabled
CPU VCCSA: Manual 1.150v, Regular LLC, Fixed Frequency 500
RAM : Corsair Vengeance @ 1866 MHz - 64GB
Disks : Raid0 2x Intel 520 480GB; 2x Seagate 2TB
GFX : EVGA GTX690
Audio : Creative X-FI Titanium HD
PSU : Corsair AX1200i
Optic BD\DVD : Lite-On Blu-Ray; Samsung DVDRW
Cooler\Case : Corsair H100i v2 2; Silverstone TJ07

Chino
Level 15
Please run your system on stock defaults so we can discard it being an unstable overclock problem. Just for your information, P95 and AIDA means squat. 😉 The best test for a stable overclock is daily usage.

Nodens
Level 16
This sounds like a RAM issue. Like Chino said, try stock settings including RAM (don't set XMP) so we can be sure if it's overclocking related or not.
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

Just a question , does the chip usually clock itself down under load ? Temps are hitting mid 60s and the clock would drop from 4500 to 4200 and sit there ... sometimes it even drops into the 3xxx range e.g. when running prime95 - then when I stop it , jumps back up to 4500.

I have disabled speedstep and all powersaving - Is the CPU throttling itself somehow ?

Also - did you guys add extra power to the PCIE slots using the EZ-Plug ? Maybe the cards are drawing too much power ?

Cheers
Way

Wayâ„¢;316331 wrote:
Just a question , does the chip usually clock itself down under load ? Temps are hitting mid 60s and the clock would drop from 4500 to 4200 and sit there ... sometimes it even drops into the 3xxx range e.g. when running prime95 - then when I stop it , jumps back up to 4500.

I have disabled speedstep and all powersaving - Is the CPU throttling itself somehow ?

Also - did you guys add extra power to the PCIE slots using the EZ-Plug ? Maybe the cards are drawing too much power ?

Cheers
Way

Sounds like VRM throttling to me. What are your PCH temperatures (AIDA 64)?
NAME THE SANDWICH: – White Bread, Lots of Baloney, Russian dressing and served with a small pickle.?

Intel Core i7 8700K @5.1 Stable Delidded
Asus Maximus X Code

16 GB
G skill TridentZ DDR4 ​4266 (PC4 34100)
Corsair HX1000i digital
EVGA 1070 GTX TiSuperclocked+
Samsung NVMe SSD 960 pro M. 2
Samsung 860 Pro
Watercooled with EK block radiator fans etc.

Snakeyes wrote:
Sounds like VRM throttling to me. What are your PCH temperatures (AIDA 64)?

AIDA64 Stability Test:
PCH Temp 39deg/c
CPU Package hits 65deg/c
CPU Cores are all 59 - 67deg/c @ 100% load CPU hitting 1.408v

Ran it to check now ... sits on 4500mhz for a bit , then dropped to 4100 , and jumps around in 100Mhz increments up and down...

Nodens
Level 16
There has been a reported issue turbo downclocking on load with the latest UEFI versions..Not sure if 0023 is affected as I have not seen any reports from the people that experienced the issue. If it's not VRM downclocking it could be related to this. Try actively cooling the VRM area with a fan blowing on it. Also are you on Extreme phase setting?
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

Nodens wrote:
There has been a reported issue turbo downclocking on load with the latest UEFI versions..Not sure if 0023 is affected as I have not seen any reports from the people that experienced the issue. If it's not VRM downclocking it could be related to this. Try actively cooling the VRM area with a fan blowing on it. Also are you on Extreme phase setting?

Everything is on Auto as I am using default settings - doing a stock stock stock CPU check now - if it still throttles back , I will try one of the previous UEFI's.

I have 4 side panel fans blowing cool air straight onto the board / CPU area as well , so not sure if it's the VRMs.

MY PCH Fan is also not spinning - but that's a setting in the BIOS as I think it triggers at a certain temp.

Will keep testing thanks.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Since you are not running an IVY-e please go back to the last official supported BIOS. The beta bios are all about Ivy-e
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.