cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After-market upgrade parts for G46VW

XKalibur
Level 7
Hello ROGs.
I would like to request your kind recommendations about after-market upgrades for my G46VW.
I'm thinking of upgrading the following components, but I don't know what could be the best brand and models looking to increase performance:

• RAM: increasing it from 8 to 16 GB (as far as I know, this is the max ram the laptop supports), but I'm looking for RAM modules with low CAS latency & timers. I've seen the factory modules have 11.0 timers. Moving to something near to 9.0 will really improve performance in addition to the extra 8 GB?
  • SSD: I know the SSD from factory is good but not so good, and the performance of it is rated as poor. Which one could be a replacement?
  • SATA HD: Something with 7200 rpm will do the job, as the one preinstalled is 5400.

Also, with these upgrades do you know if the battery will last less because of the upgrades? I wouldn't like to sacrifice 2 hours of work because a performance increase (in terms of something really noticeable or not).

Thanks for your suggestions!
4 REPLIES 4

Clintlgm
Level 14
XKalibur wrote:
Hello ROGs.
I would like to request your kind recommendations about after-market upgrades for my G46VW.
I'm thinking of upgrading the following components, but I don't know what could be the best brand and models looking to increase performance:

• RAM: increasing it from 8 to 16 GB (as far as I know, this is the max ram the laptop supports), but I'm looking for RAM modules with low CAS latency & timers. I've seen the factory modules have 11.0 timers. Moving to something near to 9.0 will really improve performance in addition to the extra 8 GB?
  • SSD: I know the SSD from factory is good but not so good, and the performance of it is rated as poor. Which one could be a replacement?
  • SATA HD: Something with 7200 rpm will do the job, as the one preinstalled is 5400.

Also, with these upgrades do you know if the battery will last less because of the upgrades? I wouldn't like to sacrifice 2 hours of work because a performance increase (in terms of something really noticeable or not).

1. You should match the RAM timing, Unless your going to void your warranty and install 4 modules.

2. I have no problems with my SSD Its in my Signature. I may buy a new Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB to install Windows 8.1 on!

3. If you want to change out your 5400 RPM drive for any 7200 drive would be better. If your intentions are to only have the 7200 RPM drive then I would go with the Hybrid 750 GB these are pretty fast with the built in SSD Cache.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Zygomorphic
Level 17
Higher speed HDDs have only negligible impact on battery life, and SSDs will make it longer. Upgrading the RAM doesn't do anything appreciable to the battery life (the screen, CPU, and GPU draw nearly all the power of the notebook).

I will second the hybrid HDD, they are really fast, especially for booting operating systems. I've quit hibernating my notebook, since shutdown and bootup is so fast.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

XKalibur
Level 7
Do you know if G46VW have one physical hard disk?
I'm noticing on device manager there is an SSD and also a SATA disk on my system, but I thought these were separated disks. Are these one of those hybrid hard drives you mentioned?
If that's the case, then I should upgrade only one disk 🙂

Run hwinfo64, it will identify all your hardware and settings in detail.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro