cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Power problems with G750JX

Unlucky
Level 7
I bought my G750JX without Windows so I put windows 7 on it. Then i had mouse stutters and problems when my laptop was connected to power,I tried everything,drivers etc.... But then I contacted ASUS support and all they said is to put windows 8 on it. I did and suprisingly my problem was solved.... But my mouse worked fine on other Windows 7 laptops...
But then new problem came,webcam is stuttering and not working fine, my headphones G930 are crackling only on my laptop.... And all of that is happening only when my laptop is connected to power on High Performance mode but again camera stutters and there's a crackling sound when minimum processor state is at 100%(weird thing, Its not crackling when minimum processor state is at 99% but I'ts cracling even when It's at 5% on High Performance.... Then i made a new power plan under power saver and all works fine... The thing is it only cracks when CPU is high... And after all I payed pretty much for this laptop and I don't want that stupid problem. ASUS support didn't respond anything on this problem... I want it to be possible that I can stay at High Performance mode without power problems and being able to play games without bad sound when my CPU is at 100%.... After all this is a HIGH PERFORMANCE GAMING MACHINE!!!! It's stupid to not use it to full pottentional.... I'm trying to figure out what to do with this problem.... And I hope someone here has the answer. I though BIOS update will solve the problem but I't did not...
I must have something to engross my thoughts, some object in life which will fill this vacuum, and prevent this sad wearing away of the heart.
10 REPLIES 10

mcgrady162
Level 7
I just did a clean installation of windows 7 on my new ssd a week ago. All I can say is everything works fine so far, I mean, really, everything.

hmscott
Level 12
Unlucky wrote:
I bought my G750JX without Windows so I put windows 7 on it. Then i had mouse stutters and problems when my laptop was connected to power,I tried everything,drivers etc.... But then I contacted ASUS support and all they said is to put windows 8 on it. I did and suprisingly my problem was solved.... But my mouse worked fine on other Windows 7 laptops...
But then new problem came,webcam is stuttering and not working fine, my headphones G930 are crackling only on my laptop.... And all of that is happening only when my laptop is connected to power on High Performance mode but again camera stutters and there's a crackling sound when minimum processor state is at 100%(weird thing, Its not crackling when minimum processor state is at 99% but I'ts cracling even when It's at 5% on High Performance.... Then i made a new power plan under power saver and all works fine... The thing is it only cracks when CPU is high... And after all I payed pretty much for this laptop and I don't want that stupid problem. ASUS support didn't respond anything on this problem... I want it to be possible that I can stay at High Performance mode without power problems and being able to play games without bad sound when my CPU is at 100%.... After all this is a HIGH PERFORMANCE GAMING MACHINE!!!! It's stupid to not use it to full pottentional.... I'm trying to figure out what to do with this problem.... And I hope someone here has the answer. I though BIOS update will solve the problem but I't did not...

If you updated to the 208 BIOS and are having problems with Asus Power4Gear power plans, try switching to the Balanced Plan - you will get better performance on battery for high CPU loads (especially multi-core use) and on AC and Balanced you will get high performance too. Don't forget to set the Processor 0%-100% in the Advanced for Balanced power plan.

Uninstall the Power4Gear Hybrid package if this works for you, as if you leave it installed you will continually need to switch manually to the Balanced plan.

Let us know if this works for your problem(s) 🙂

Tried all of that... Even in balanced there's stuttering in webcam and sound. But problem only occurs when CPU gets over 2.5ghz..... I tried tweaking the system,everything.... And in power saving mode if i put minimum processor stays to 99% it stays on 2.5ghz.... . On high performace when I put minimum to 5% also stutters... The thing is.... I could do a fresh install of windows on my partition but i put a lot of time into making my themes and stuff.... I tried all I could find on web to solve that CPU issue with stuttering. Performance is fine,videos are fine, just webcam and sound is crackling when CPU is over 2.5ghz (In turbo boost i think) . I did uninstal power for gear hybrid tho.
I must have something to engross my thoughts, some object in life which will fill this vacuum, and prevent this sad wearing away of the heart.

Unlucky wrote:
Tried all of that... Even in balanced there's stuttering in webcam and sound. But problem only occurs when CPU gets over 2.5ghz..... I tried tweaking the system,everything.... And in power saving mode if i put minimum processor stays to 99% it stays on 2.5ghz.... . On high performace when I put minimum to 5% also stutters... The thing is.... I could do a fresh install of windows on my partition but i put a lot of time into making my themes and stuff.... I tried all I could find on web to solve that CPU issue with stuttering. Performance is fine,videos are fine, just webcam and sound is crackling when CPU is over 2.5ghz (In turbo boost i think) . I did uninstal power for gear hybrid tho.

Old trick, setting the max % to 99% turns off turbo boost - that is why you aren't getting past 2.4ghz.

I don't use webcam so haven't seen this issue, you should report it to Asus through a Technical Inquiry.

When you say stuttering in webcam and audio, do you mean webcam audio/video, or all audio? Is the person at the other end of the webcam complaining about your audio/video, or is their received audio/video stuttering on your screen? Or is the preview you see of yourself stuttering?

It may be network related under load. Are you using wireless or ethernet? Switch to ethernet if you can to see if that solves the stuttering. Check your router for video streaming optimization settings.

Are you seeing the problem on battery and/or AC?

BTW, I use 2 settings for processor in power plans, either 0%-100% or 100%-100%, you could try those.

Make sure wireless, and PCIE / USB are all set for High Performance and no power savings. What firewall are you using?

hmscott wrote:
Old trick, setting the max % to 99% turns off turbo boost - that is why you aren't getting past 2.4ghz.

I don't use webcam so haven't seen this issue, you should report it to Asus through a Technical Inquiry.

When you say stuttering in webcam and audio, do you mean webcam audio/video, or all audio? Is the person at the other end of the webcam complaining about your audio/video, or is their received audio/video stuttering on your screen? Or is the preview you see of yourself stuttering?

It may be network related under load. Are you using wireless or ethernet? Switch to ethernet if you can to see if that solves the stuttering. Check your router for video streaming optimization settings.

Are you seeing the problem on battery and/or AC?

BTW, I use 2 settings for processor in power plans, either 0%-100% or 100%-100%, you could try those.

Make sure wireless, and PCIE / USB are all set for High Performance and no power savings. What firewall are you using?

When I use life frame app then i can see stuttering,its also happening on network on skype. But only when I'ts 100%, 100%. When I set balanced to 0% - 100% its fine until It uses 100%. Audio is stuttering only when It's in 100%. So I put balanced mode at 0%-100% . Games and all work fine and I'm not afraid I'll get performance loss cause I know It will use 100% of processor power when It's needed,after all few aplications use 100% of this monster processor more than a few seconds at start I think. The thing Is,i can do fine with this. My phones G930 dont stutter and webcam also when I use It cause I don't use a processor at 100%. But i want everything to be perfect and find a solution on this problem 'cause I'm studying IT and I want to know all I can :). I reported to ASUS, they don't seem very helpful. And also I think if I send my laptop to my guarantee I think they wouldn't notice It without me explaining how,and I would wait a long time to get my laptop back fixed(If they will fix It) but I need It for work and all.... Battery and AC problems are the same. I thought It's just the power but It's not. Maybe CPU draws to much power on turbo boost(thanks for an old trick on 99% , didnt knew that 🙂 ) and then that power interfere with connections.
I uninstalled Zone Alarm and Avast,using only Windows Defender,tried also with disabled Windows Defender 'cause i saw somewhere that antivirus can be the problem. . Now,balanced mode works perfect (thank you hmscott for advice) on 0%-100%, i know it wont use to much when not needed and that It will use 100% when I'ts needed. Even if i red somewhere that CPU is faster if It's on 100%-100% (faster reaction time). This stutering happens only on m USB wireless G930 Headset when on turbo boost and on webcam. Speakers seem to work fine . Thank you all for help.... I hope we will find a problem with this,because i really like ASUS and this laptop and I really dont want to be disappointment with this machine even with all BIOS problems and stuff.

Unlucky wrote:
When I use life frame app then i can see stuttering,its also happening on network on skype. But only when I'ts 100%...

Cool, nice detail, glad to see some progress, but you didn't answer if you are on wireless or ethernet, or if the laggy video/audio is happening to someones incoming webcam or your outgoing webcam at their site. Is the other side complaining that your video/audio is stuttering, is their incoming video/audio stuttering, or is it just the loopback view of your monitoring of yourself?

For my use the JW and now JX are monsters when it comes to throughput and amazingly responsive to interactive use while at 100% CPU + 99% GPU while simultaneously doing video/audio playback.

I run have run 100% CPU and 99% GPU while watching Netflix/Hulu/Redboxinstant/Blu-ray and still browse interactively without any lag. Both on 802.11n and ethernet. No problems at all.

I tried loading Lifeframe, and it didn't give me the impression it was "live/instant" - it wasn't total molasses but it wasn't like a live view should be - and that was at 0% and 100%.

Uninstalling the firewall / anti-virus is a good try, but I have run Norton NIS, 360, Bitdefender Total Security + Spybot + SpywareBlaster and none have slowed the laptop down. I do disable them for benchmark runs, putting them in silent mode, exiting Spybot, but probably not necessary.

In the past when I have run into such problems, with less capable hardware, I use the Processor Priority and Affinity to slow down the drag from high CPU processes and increase the Priority of the interactive / video / audio proceses. In Windows 8, you can do it through different methods:

http://superuser.com/questions/462417/how-to-set-process-priority-and-process-affinity-on-windows-8

You could play with that and see if it helps to isolate the high cpu jobs to 3 cores, and set the affinity for the webcam to the 4th core. Depending on the job mix I have assigned some threads to the video/audio core too, but that is really fine tuning.

I am thinking it might be parameters in the network adapter that can be adjusted too, but again I don't know what to suggest because you didn't say which adapter you are using 🙂

Cool, nice detail, glad to see some progress, but you didn't answer if you are on wireless or ethernet, or if the laggy video/audio is happening to someones incoming webcam or your outgoing webcam at their site. Is the other side complaining that your video/audio is stuttering, is their incoming video/audio stuttering, or is it just the loopback view of your monitoring of yourself?

Thanks for all your help HMSCOTT and helping me find a solution. About the quote: Yes,my skype call on the other side is also making same problem. And I found out now that speakers also make the crackling noise.

The thing is. I dont have lag when i use 100%, performance is doing great! It's just that my webcam stutters and that my sound crackles. Performance on 100%CPU and 99%GPU are flawless!! Im just afraid all that stuttering is electricity problem and that's not healthy for my laptop. ANd I also want It to work good when on 100%, so I can normally listen to music or make a video call.

I'll try playing with Processor Priority and Affinity when i come from work tonight.

My network adapters in device menager are(without bluetooth on the list here):
[CommView] Atheros AR9485WB-EG Wireless Network Adapter

Qualcomm Atheros AR8171/8175 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.30)

Anchorfree HSS VPN Adapt

Microsoft Kernel Debug Network Adapter

But I tried disabling WiFi ,changing channels on my router already because i thought It might be the problem cause my headset is wireless on USB. I thought It's only problem with headset before but I found out its with CPU.

I'll just reinstall Windows and see what happens after and I'll let you know if the problem is still there

Reinstalled windows on my lunch break... problem is still here. Guess I'm just gonna live with It. I'll use my headset and webcam without turbo boost. Webcam doesnt need It for sure ans about new upcoming games I dont think they need such a monster CPU. And If I will need it on turbo boost I'll just switch to speakers where crackling is bearable. I will still try to find a solution and I will post It if I find It. Im afraid It's a hardware probIem.I don't want to send back my laptop because It's always taking a long time. I owned 3 Asus laptops,first one ended like a brick cause they put wrong BIOS on support site for that model. I had a warranty but they didnt wanted to fix It here in Croatia,everywhere In the world they did.... I was dissappintement but I bought another one from them and now I worked really hard to buy a G750 and all I had are problems with It. :(. I hope they will help me with this.