Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast
    ROG Member Array

Yea, agreed. If you're admin, feel free to move this entire conversation to a new thread. Sorry for taking up your space.

As a final word. After CMOS cleared, "XMP only" works, but as soon as I change anything else the system becomes quite unresponsive. Even HW Monitor freezes in Windows.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quick question about memory as I've just upgraded to a 4960x and a Rampage IV Formula from a Z77/2700k.
    I've currently got it IBT max + cinebench stable 4.5Ghz @ 1.36v (custom h2o) so happy with the clocks but this is using a 2 x 8Gb set of F3-14900CL10D-16GBXL G Skill RipjawsX - using XMP settings for 1866 C10 @ 1.5v (stock settings for RAM).

Memory is so expensive these days! - I got this set for only £70 back then, but now its like £130 for the same - almost double!
    Would I still be better off taking the hit and selling these to buy a dedicated set of 16Gb X79 certified sticks or could I just get another set of F3-14900CL10D-16GBXL and chance it? - Thats only mixing two dual-channel rated sets as opposed to four sets etc.

thanks in advance for any advice.

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array HiVizMan's Avatar

Keep what you have, no need to even add since you have 16GB you actually have no need to change, simply use the two.
    To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by HiVizMan View Post
    Keep what you have, no need to even add since you have 16GB you actually have no need to change, simply use the two.
    But but - that#s only running Dual-channel
    I'd actually prefer 32Gb of memory as I'm planning on doing some serious VM work on this machine (hence the migration from the Z77 to X79 platform)..........

Tech Marketing Manager HQ Array Raja@ASUS's Avatar

The risk of buying an identical kit is whether or not it will work plug and play for you. You could be in for some manual tuning to get the kits to play together and be stable near or at the rated timings. So it's a question in your case of how much you value time and frustration vs money I suppose.

-Raja

ROG Enthusiast Array

Ta bro,

Just installed my additional kit today - 4 x 8Gb Ripjaws 1866 in total now, tried to get it running IBT max at stock XMP but it failed 1.36v

tried upping VCCA from 0.95v up slightly to 1v but that made no difference. Currently upping the vcore as I'd imagine its more strain on the IMC - 1.37v testing at mo.

I did notice however that the Speed (GFlops) in IBT jumped up from ~80 to 130+ when switching to Quad Channel so I think it will be worth it in the end / fingers crossed - no difference in cinebench r11 test score though - hmmmmm

Well we did warn ya that it might not be plug and play

ROG Enthusiast Array

That you guys did

Still trying to stabalise it! lol

What's Mode 3 under memory tweaks do? - It says specifically its for IVY-E?

Secret sauce - try it. Might be more stable than default.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by Raja@ASUS View Post
    Secret sauce - try it. Might be more stable than default.
    ahaha! - Tried it mate, no joy crashed IBT after about 5 runs the same.
    Gone the logical route and dropped all overclocking until I can get memory stable - currently IBT testing at stock / xmp - let this be a lesson to all lol!

sorry for jacking this thread! - will start a new one if I have no further joy. Would be good to get 4 x 8gb sticks running 1866 @ 4.5jiggawatts
    Last edited by zoomee; 02-27-2014 at 08:08 PM.

Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast