cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UEFI-Mode on Rampage 4 Extreme ?

Superfly
Level 7
Hello ROG-Team,

I have purchased the RaidR and so far i am really happy, with the ssd.
The performance is very good and the ram disk tool is perfect.

But i only get it to work in legacy mode on my rampage 4 extreme with the latest bios 4403
I have 2 580 GTX in SLI mode in Slot 1 and 4, and the RaidR in Slot 6, with 16x 8x 8x.
The perfromance is awesome from the ssd (i get max. 830 read and 830 write performance, with ATTO)
and no Problems with SLI, but as i mentioned only in Legay.
When I switch to UEFI-Mode on the RaidR it doesnt shine up in the bios.
I have tested all Bios settings, AHCI - RAID, and with all CSM Options, but no chance.

What do i make wrong ?

ths in advice
Superfly
27 REPLIES 27

HiVizMan
Level 40
That is correct it will not be picked up in bios.

When you do the install of OS you first start the process in legacy to set the drive up, then reboot in CSM and install OS.

Did you follow the OS install guide? The guide is a sticky here in this section I am sure. What is your system not doing under legacy that you wish to change?
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Of course I have set up the drive bevore, and i can install windows under uefi but when the cd reboots after installation it cannot boot von disk in uefi because the system doesnt find anything.
I have read the guide, also the Guide for Setting up the System in UEFI.
Sure you are right, the only thing it would does better in uefi is fast booting, but it would nice to have, when the feature is there i would like to us it 😄

Nodens
Level 16
Please fill out this template:http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?37841-Support-Template-fill-this-out-when-reporting-a-bug-o...

Also mention if you tried disabling CSM entirely after the installation and that you did the UEFI installation as described on the guide in my signature. Particularly make sure that you actually booted the installation media from the UEFI: option.
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

DragonClaVV
Level 9
R4E here too and thats the way it worked over here.

Newest bios as well 4403

- checked that the raid 0 is built on the drive what should be from the begining
- CSM to disabled OR relevant options set to uefi
- Switched the little switch on the raidr to the uefi position (Led should light up when there is power on your pc)
- booted the installationmedium (in my case an usb stick) with the UEFI: addon before it in the boot menu
- Clicked on the not allocated space and then NEW. if 4 partitons appear you are fine. selected the bottom one and installed it.

you will not see the drive in bios. you should see a windows boot manager at the first boot position

That should be all to get it running perfectly in uefi

mikano
Level 7
Hi Superfly, And Rog team!,
I am Having the same issue like Superfly. I did A fresh install of Windows 7 on Raidr Express ssd as I speak. Raidr shows up in my Bios no probelm and my DVD-Rom. I too Can't get UEFI-Mode but all works fine. When I turn off pc, to switch to UEFI-Mode It won't show up in bios and a black screen comes up Enter cd to boot. Im trying my best to get this working the right way . Just thought I share and hope we can get this beast going right , Thank you all for any help.

Nodens
Level 16
You can't install Windows and then switch to UEFI mode. You have to switch to UEFI mode prior to installing. Like DragonClaVV said:
1) Create RAID array on RAIDR while it is in legacy mode.
2) Switch RAIDR to UEFI mode.
3) Install Windows as described on the guide in my signature.

Note: Like Viz said, while the RAIDR is in UEFI mode, it won't appear in the UEFI Setup. You have to set up the array in Legacy mode and then switch to UEFI prior to installation.
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

Thank you again, I got it working right this time. I had to update my Bios 4403 as well.

Nodens wrote:
You can't install Windows and then switch to UEFI mode. You have to switch to UEFI mode prior to installing. Like DragonClaVV said:
1) Create RAID array on RAIDR while it is in legacy mode.
2) Switch RAIDR to UEFI mode.
3) Install Windows as described on the guide in my signature.

Note: Like Viz said, while the RAIDR is in UEFI mode, it won't appear in the UEFI Setup. You have to set up the array in Legacy mode and then switch to UEFI prior to installation.

Thank you for your help. I got it all working like you said above and was working nicely. and Fast! after about an hour I went to shut it down , a black screen pop up so I reset power went back to bios and its not there. went through the whole thing again to get it to work and back to Legacy and first old bios and showed up in bios. then reset , again in logo screen says where it shows raid o raid 1 on upper right corner under Status it says when before it said unconfigured, before it said Configured. I hope its not a broken drive. this will be my second SSD drive my Vector as well is dead. where do I go from here and Im going to see If it can be formatted all again. Thank you.

Nodens
Level 16
If you are not using an IB-E chip stay on version 4206. The latest one has an issue with shutting down for me with SB-E chips. As in the system will not shutdown or reboot but stay with a black screen. This could be causing your issue.

RealBench Developer.