cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Guide for Overclocking Maximum Stability & Performance for CPU & GPU.

adamsyes
Level 8
Before you start reading through out this Thread,

You must understand and accept the minor risk and procedure of instability that may occur in your part of the process. It will be your responsibly and I will take no account for any exceeding damage that may lead on resulting in that case of scenario. This doesn't cover nor is recommended by ASUS, although this may avoid warranty.

Updated (Nov 30, 2013): I will make a video guide when I get the chance and upload it here.

Recent topics related to the guide:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?34611-Overclocking-Gtx-765M-(G750-JW)&country=&status=
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?37689-help-overclocking-with-asus-gpu-TEWAK&country=&status...
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?34297-4700HQ-overclocking&country=&status=

Lets begin shall we? 🙂
This will lead at least of a 20% performance increase hover the stock results and 10% lower CPU Temperatures. please be advise this result will be different from most of us.

I will keep it as easy and casual for those with weak English understanding & new comers.
Now don't be afraid if this is a first-time for you. Overclocking certain tech now days are fully beneficial when doing so over premium products such as G-Series Laptop. Now this guide will give you the tools (Genuine and trusted) needed to Overclock the GPU and the CPU over 9000 in power level!!! "Cough" lets not kid ourselves here now 🙂

Why should you Overclock?
it is same way to say why tweak a car's engine? Philosophically, Overclocking Laptops were Dangerous, unstable and can lead to burn and bricked parts, compared to desktops they had less headroom to give more horse power since laptops weren't really meant for above mediocre/hard-core gaming. But that was 4-6 Years ago. Now with the new tech, new and better pieces of gpu and cpu layers (material, programming, efficiency etc, performance) are more smarter and ideal to start overclocking, especially for gaming laptops. and definitely much much safer. GPU and CPU will stop working if things go out of control, and resets to the stock clocks generally speaking. so don't worry about going above the limits. but always be careful!

Overclocking GPU can lead to a nice 25% up to 40% performance Boost depending on the card and laptop of course. For this instance, ASUS ROG G-series are known for it's excellence in cooling design, headrooms for more numeric overclocking after some tests and of course better quality compared to other gaming laptop.
Now CPUs are also taking part of overclocking starting from Haswell's Intel latest processor (2013) speaking.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

GPU OVERCLOCKING

Now less talk and lets get on this!
Before YOU PROCEED, make sure you download the LATEST Nvidia Driver from Nvidia website according to your GPU model.
Firstly, Lets Overclock the Graphics Card. This can lead to better FPS performance scale in contrast when playing demanding games. More juice, more horsepower if you want it that way. but this leads to one down side, which is increase of heat output, but do not fear my friend, this is where the legendary G-series cooling thermal design kicks in.

My Recommendation for Overclocking the GPU of the G750 Series is ASUS GPU Tweak which can be downloaded here:

http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=gpu%20tweak&os=30
Please stick with the Windows 7 file it will be compatible with windows 8 and 8.1 as well. because Windows 8 file one doesn't install correctly on G-series laptops.

Once downloaded, go ahead and install it and restart your computer and come back here 🙂
Now, depending on the GPU you currently have, please make sure that most of the settings can be completely different from each user. Because some GPU can actually over clock highter than yours, this is just luck on how lucky the GPU was built (if well build, it will lead to a higher chance to overclock, if not you will have lower chance to have high clocks)
Stock

For example, 765M BEST Overclocking settings are;

Because I do know not know the stable clocks for 770m nor 780m i'll just use the 765m for now. Please post on this thread if you have an ideal stable clocks for 770m or 780m!!! i'll upload them here.

For 765M (G750-JW model)
+997Mhz Core clock (technically the maximum bar) and +5000Mhz Memory Clock, it's up to you. I have mine at 6000Mhz because my card can handle it, some cards can only handle 5000Mhz, some 6000Mhz, or some even more. so Please try with 5000 then proceed additional higher By keeping track with temperature stress (Play a demanding game such as Crysis 3 etc, if not use 3Dmark11. This increased my temperature for about 4c. which is really nothing

For 770M (G750-JX model)
same thing as the 765m. except you can only go up to 5600Mhz in memory clock according to some people.

For 780M (G750-JH model)
adding 135+ limit for core clock, and for memory, depending if you are lucky. you can try 6000 mem clock. if not turn it down to 5600Mhz. remember, 780m is a hungry card, I wouldn't recommend to go crazy on it. since it already has barely any headroom for oc.

Updated: info might change over time. so please try to scroll down see what people posted with their number clocks, they might be more accurate ! 🙂
Please be sure to CHECK the temperatures when you are overclocking. to be sure that you aren't getting crazy amount of temperature increase. The average temperature from benchmark or gaming should be hitting from 67c to 72c. Anything higher than 85c-90c can lead to shorten lifespan of the card and unconformable heat output for the card VRAM and thermal paste, Please be advise that if you are reaching anything Above 90-95c will lead to burnt GPU and that Motherboard as well depending on how damaging the heat output did. if you got anything lower then that. damn you are lucky 🙂

in fact, this is well known, for the 700 mobile series, anything above 85 can be a result of heat problems and burns. anything BELOW 75c is a result of a normal temperature. The card can handle the heat without sweat. but it is ideal to keep it in a reasonable number, which is below 70c in my opinion.

Once you've TESTED hourly, on demanding gaming or benchmark with those clocks or the clocks that fits your card instability speaking, we can now proceed to the CPU Overclocking.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CPU OVERCLOCKING

please Be advise again that the CPU overclocking isn't ideal for gaming generally speaking. this will only give you about 5.4% performance CPU increase. on gaming domain, this is nothing really but in design, rendering compositing this is very helpful.

But the point of doing this is also because the 4700HQ comes with above recommended Voltage stability when performing at max for all cores, which leads to high temperature. How to get lower temps? well keep reading 😛

firstly, download the Intel Extreme Utility software from here :
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?keyword=%22%22extreme+tuning+utility%22%22

Once downloaded and installed, restart the computer and come back here to keep proceeding !
Okay, this is very simple. I know some of you aren't familiar with CPU, so we aren't going to touch ANYTHING ELSE beside the following:
Multiplier cores (we will overclock it from 2.4Ghz-3.4Ghz to 2.6Ghz-3.6Ghz)
Lowering the Unneeded amount of voltage to lower the temperatures of each core to a stable scale.
that's it. so just open it and you should get these stock settings

Now to overclock & to keep a much lower temperature please use theses settings

This applies auto every time you reboot. so don't worry about starting it up. same goes for the GPU tweak, however has to be enabled under options.

This will give you around 6-10c temperature reduction AND an increase of Ghz !! 🙂
If you get a windows crash, that means the voltage doesn't seem to be stable on your laptop. to fix this just increase the mV (that are at -70mV) to , lets say -50mV.

Avg temperature while gaming and benchmark for the cpu was 69-71c, this for haswell is perfectly reasonable actually. before I used to have 76c which is still fine. then again, lower the better.

So Alas, this should give you a nice boost performance on the g750 by keeping a tight stability systemically speaking. And CPU temps are reduced without the loss of performance, but actually increased instead.

Now, of course if you want to go even further, you can Repaste with thermal paste, to gain more temperature reduction for even higher overclocking. but that will 100% avoid warranty and I wouldn't recommended unless the laptop warranty is about to expire of course, or you don't care much about warranty .

Anyway Cheers! please Post any feedback, results and ask for any assistance! if you have any questions please PM me any time!.

192 REPLIES 192

CurrySonic
Level 7
Thanks for the great thread! This should be stickied!

Is it even possible to repaste gpu on a laptop? Even with the g750 you would have to open up the laptop somehow and get the heat sink off the processors, then somehow get it all back again.

In 1-3 years time we need a cleaning and repasting guide.

Thank you for taking the time to make such a great article!

CurrySonic wrote:
Thanks for the great thread! This should be stickied!

Is it even possible to repaste gpu on a laptop? Even with the g750 you would have to open up the laptop somehow and get the heat sink off the processors, then somehow get it all back again.

In 1-3 years time we need a cleaning and repasting guide.

Thank you for taking the time to make such a great article!

Yes, it is possible. just requires experience and patience to dissembling every part step by step. Of course, cleaning fans can be done by just using a air can gas compressor in the exhaust. although repasting surely would give a better benefit in cooling . I might do so and make a guide tutorial later on next year. and thank you! 🙂

I tested GPU part with G750JH (GeForce 780M 4 GB). Maxed the GPU clock to 932 and set Memory to 6058. Stable and max temp during 3DMark Free test (All tests and demos) was 77 degrees Celcius. Compare this to normal results in 3DMark, my original Cloud Gate score was 17326 and with these settings it was 18308.0. So 5 % overall improvement. BUT: This was overall score, compared to pure graphics score normal 35110 and overclocked 41033, we get 16.8 % improvement! So QUITE nice! And the temperature stayed in acceptaple range with these settings!

And the most demanding test "Fire Strike" overall score is normal 4993 vs. overclocked 5775 score, which is 15 % increase, and THIS is noticeable difference of visual smoothness in the tests and demos! Graphics score differences are 5511 and 6443 which is 16 % more.

Notice how overall score and graphics score difference is greater in the "Cloud Gate" than "Fire Strike". I think this is because the more demanding test use NVIDIA PhysX features in physics calculations, when the less demanding test uses only CPU! So this way the overall improvement is in the line with graphics improvement in "Fire Strike", since of course PhysX performace depends on GPU performace.

Next I try to increase the memory clock, since GPU clock works like a charm maxed out.

Cheers and thanks for the great guide!

Pitcher
Level 7
the images in the 2nd part for CPU overclocking are so tiny I cannot see the options you selected!
ASUS G750JX-CV050H
CPU: i7-4700HQ @ 2.40 GHz.
Memory: 32 GB DDR3 1600 MHz. Hynix RAM
Graphics: GeForce GTX 770M 3 GB GDDR5 RAM
Storage: 256 GB LiteOn LCM-256M3S SSD + 1 TB Seagate Momentus ST1000LM024 5400 RPM HDD
Screen: 17.3"Full HD 3D Glossy Screen

povetkin
Level 7
The maximum Cpu frequency is 3,8 Ghz with 105 FSB and 36 Multiplier.
Fully stable. But you need an unlock bios, what I already have had link.

povetkin wrote:
The maximum Cpu frequency is 3,8 Ghz with 105 FSB and 36 Multiplier.
Fully stable. But you need an unlock bios, what I already have had link.

i cant see the link..i want to unlock my bios to overclock my cpu to 3.8 ghz can you help pls.

kingkaan wrote:
i cant see the link..i want to unlock my bios to overclock my cpu to 3.8 ghz can you help pls.

Link is dead, sorry:

But I have modded vbios: Link

@povetkin

Wait a second, can you actually modify the GPU boost levels now?
ASUS G750JX-TB71

• CPU: i7-4700HQ @ 2.40 GHz.
  • Graphics: GeForce GTX 770M 3 GB GDDR5 RAM
  • Screen: 17.3' Full HD Matte Screen @ 100Hz
  • Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz. RAM 2x8
  • Storage: 500GB SSD 850 EVO + 750GB HDD @ 7200rpm
  • TC: IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU

Wow. I would love to be able to edit the settings for my GPU's fan!! I tried to run that Bios Tweaker and it seems it wont allow me to edit my Bios (I am running a modded vbios with restrictions removed). It seems it doesn't like the 780m for some reason. 😕
(ROG has simply become too expensive compared to the competition with same specs... 😞 )
MSI GE75 Raider 10SGS - i7 10750H - RTX 2080 Super - 32GB Ram - 1TB WD NVMe - 2TB 960 EVO - 300Hz 17inch Display
RETIRED: ALIENWARE R17 R5 - i7 8750H - GTX 1070 @ 1.9Ghz - 16GB DDR4 - NVMe 970 EVO 1TB - SSD 960 EVO 1TB
SOLD: ASUS G703VI-XH74K, RETIRED: ASUS G752VY-DH72, RETIRED: ASUS G750JH DB71 , RETIRED:ASUS G74Sx DH72