Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 41
  1. #1
    ROG Guru: White Belt Array
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    87

    New to building gaming rig

    First off I want to apologize for the lack of any specific part information. I am brand new to attempting to build a PC and do not really know much about the different options out there.

    Budget: 1500-2000 US dollars (not including peripherals)
    Main uses of intended build: Gaming (World of tanks, Skyrim, any new PC intensive game coming out, MMOs etc). I do not do video editing/photoshop/rendering tho may want to do live streaming.
    Parts required:
    Previous build information (list details of parts): ASUS ROG laptop. no previous desktop
    Monitor resolution: No monitor yet. Single monitor will be purchased.
    Storage requirements: SSD for OS and probably regular HD for data (optimal from what I read)
    Will you be overclocking: yes/no (delete as required) - Probably
    Any motherboard requirements (no. of USB, Xfire/SLI, fan headers): Nothing specific
    Extra information about desired system:
    Watercool vs Fan (I have multiple cats and will be getting a dog.. lots of hair in apartment. Is water cooling preferable in this situation?)
    AMD/Radeon vs Intel/NVIDIA, I was told for strictly gaming AMD is the way to go but I am a novice.

    I am looking to purchase around mid to late December. I want a desktop that can last me atleast 3-4 years of high performance. My current laptop can barely play SC2 (I had to Underclock the card with the gpu tweak so I wouldn't bluescreen from heat and or something else since it wasn't always over 100 degrees.)

  2. #2
    ROG Guru: Grand Master Array
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Reputation
    339
    Posts
    15,255

    Welcome to the ROG forums, Veracis.

    If I was looking to build a long term system with your budget, this is what I would get.

    CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($325.99 @ NCIX US)
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($94.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($199.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($147.98 @ NCIX US)
    Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($343.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 4GB Video Card ($449.99 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic Platinum 1000W 80 PLUS Platinum Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($208.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Total: $1771.91
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-02 17:49 EDT-0400)

    Since picking CPU cases is a personal thing, I didn't add one in there. It's also your call if you want to add some platter drives for storage or get a bigger SSD.

  3. #3
    ROG Guru: Grand Master Array HiVizMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Reputation
    354
    Posts
    25,742

    Not to put a damper on things, no PC bought at any given moment is going to give 3-4 years of high performance gaming. Just not possible sorry.
    To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

  4. #4
    ROG Guru: White Belt Array
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    87

    Quote Originally Posted by Chino View Post
    Welcome to the ROG forums, Veracis.

    If I was looking to build a long term system with your budget, this is what I would get.

    CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($325.99 @ NCIX US)
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($94.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($199.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($147.98 @ NCIX US)
    Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($343.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 4GB Video Card ($449.99 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic Platinum 1000W 80 PLUS Platinum Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($208.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Total: $1771.91
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-02 17:49 EDT-0400)

    Since picking CPU cases is a personal thing, I didn't add one in there. It's also your call if you want to add some platter drives for storage or get a bigger SSD.
    Thank you for the succinct reply. Do you believe the prices will drop in the next couple months for most of these parts?

    Also you would recommend Intel/Geforce over AMD/radeon or is it more of a price thing?

    Any recommendations on cases that will fit everything with good air flow? (I do not need a flashy case as it will be under a desk.)

  5. #5
    ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array chrisnyc75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Reputation
    63
    Posts
    413

    Quote Originally Posted by HiVizMan View Post
    Not to put a damper on things, no PC bought at any given moment is going to give 3-4 years of high performance gaming. Just not possible sorry.
    I beg to differ. My X58 i7 940 system served me very well for high performance gaming for 5 years before it started to show signs of age. And even then, I probably could have just updated the graphics cards and gotten another 2-3 years out of it.

    The key to longevity in pc building is that you have to build high end. No BUDGET pc bought at any given moment is going to give 3-4 years of high performance gaming, but a cutting edge pc certainly can.
    Asus RIVBE • i7 4930K @ 4.7ghz • 8gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 CL8
    2xSLI EVGA GTX 770 SC • Creative X-Fi Titanium • 2x 840 SSD + 1TB Seagate Hybrid
    EVGA Supernova 1300W• Asus VG278H & nVidia 3d Vision
    Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/ custom watercooling:
    XSPC Raystorm (cpu & gpu), XSPC Photon 170, Swiftech D5 vario
    Alphacool Monsta 360mm +6x NB e-loop, XT45 360mm +6x Corsair SP120


  6. #6
    ROG Guru: Grand Master Array
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Reputation
    339
    Posts
    15,255

    Quote Originally Posted by Veracis View Post
    Thank you for the succinct reply. Do you believe the prices will drop in the next couple months for most of these parts?
    Definately. NVIDIA has already announced that they will cut prices for their GPUs. And AMD is going to release their new generation GPUs too. It's going to be fun to see the performance on the AMD GPUs.


    Quote Originally Posted by Veracis View Post
    Also you would recommend Intel/Geforce over AMD/radeon or is it more of a price thing?
    Performance wise, Intel takes it. Budget wise, AMD is the way to go.

    As for GPUs, they're pretty equal in terms of performance. AMD has always been cheaper and will continue to do so. For example, the cheapest GTX 770 costs around $400 and performs on par with the HD7970 which costs a mere $300.


    Quote Originally Posted by Veracis View Post
    Any recommendations on cases that will fit everything with good air flow? (I do not need a flashy case as it will be under a desk.)
    These are the ones I like. They're not too flashy but have an acrylic window to show off your goodies. CoolerMaster Stryker, Corsair C70, NZXT Switch 810, Corsair 750D.

  7. #7
    ROG Guru: White Belt Array
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    87

    Chino.

    Would you recommend maybe going with a 250g SSD for the OS and main games and a regular harddrive for other storage?

    Also my friend (probably not the best techie) recommended the 2g vid card and smaller power supply citing the lack of need for the current games out there. I disagree with him but I dont know if I am correct.

    Thank you for the information. I'll probably be back at some point closer to when I will be purchasing to ask more questions.

  8. #8
    ROG Guru: Grand Master Array
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Reputation
    339
    Posts
    15,255

    Quote Originally Posted by Veracis View Post

    Would you recommend maybe going with a 250g SSD for the OS and main games and a regular harddrive for other storage?
    Depends on you, mate. All I can say is that games are getting bigger and bigger. It's understandable that users on a tight budget want to roll with a small SSD and a big platter drive. They want the space but don't want to miss out on the lightning speeds of a SSD. But someone with a generous budget like yours should biggest that you can afford. Heck, I was going to put the new Samsung 840 EVO 1TB in your configuration. But figured you'd think it's overkill.


    Quote Originally Posted by Veracis View Post
    Also my friend (probably not the best techie) recommended the 2g vid card and smaller power supply citing the lack of need for the current games out there. I disagree with him but I dont know if I am correct.
    Life is full of serendipities. What if you suddenly discovered a love for multi monitor gaming? That's where the 4GB. And who is to say that the GTX 770 will be powerful enough for future games? Perhaps another GTX 770 is in your future plan. That's where the bigger power supply comes in.

    At the end of the day, you're the one making the decisions. It's your money after all. Heck if you're looking to save money, you can probably go with an i5-4670k, 8GB, 250GB SSD + 1-2TB HDD, GTX 770 2GB and a 650W power supply. And it'd still be an amazing gaming system. You would probably save close to $500 if not more.

  9. #9
    iron man Array kkn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Reputation
    243
    Posts
    6,112

    but if that then you would not have enny power for upgrades on the gpu side. ( the last post chino posted )
    for upgrades on GPU you realy need power, or else you would have to buy a new PSU when you was gona instal another card down the road, if that was the option.

  10. #10
    ROG Guru: White Belt Array
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    87

    Quote Originally Posted by Chino View Post
    Depends on you, mate. All I can say is that games are getting bigger and bigger. It's understandable that users on a tight budget want to roll with a small SSD and a big platter drive. They want the space but don't want to miss out on the lightning speeds of a SSD. But someone with a generous budget like yours should biggest that you can afford. Heck, I was going to put the new Samsung 840 EVO 1TB in your configuration. But figured you'd think it's overkill.



    Life is full of serendipities. What if you suddenly discovered a love for multi monitor gaming? That's where the 4GB. And who is to say that the GTX 770 will be powerful enough for future games? Perhaps another GTX 770 is in your future plan. That's where the bigger power supply comes in.

    At the end of the day, you're the one making the decisions. It's your money after all. Heck if you're looking to save money, you can probably go with an i5-4670k, 8GB, 250GB SSD + 1-2TB HDD, GTX 770 2GB and a 650W power supply. And it'd still be an amazing gaming system. You would probably save close to $500 if not more.
    Thank you. This is exactly what I was thinking. He talked a lot about just upgrading every couple years but if I spend 1k every 2 years vs 1.5-2k now for 3-4 years Id rather have the better computer now. You have been an enormous help! Like I said before, i'll probably be back closer to when I am purchasing to make final questions/tweaks.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •