cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Performance of M6G under Linux

AccUser
Level 7
Hi - I'm about to build a gaming rig, and with the recent announcements by Valve Software concerning SteamOS, Linux support is something that I am keen to prioritise in any components that I select. I'm currently looking at the Asus Maximus VI Gene, and was wondering what the Linux support was like for the motherboard and its component devices? Anyone with experience, even if only dual-booting for curiosity? Any feed back would be very much appreciated.
4 REPLIES 4

Atlantis852
Level 7
On the Maximus VI Extreme, nearly every distro crashed or failed during the install process except CentOS (basically Red Hat Enterprise with the name chiseled off). Unfortunately you need a Debian based distro to get Steam up and running properly under Linux. Good luck though.
Asus M6E | i7 4770K | 32GB Kingston HyperX RAM | 512GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD | GTX 780

@Atlantis852 - just been reading your thread about SLI Hell... this is something that I am hoping to have working, so interesting - although I feel your pain!

Anyway, thanks for the reply to my post. I am hoping for Debian support. From what I can tell earlier revisions supported Ubuntu, but the Asus Linux Status Report doesn't include much information about the latest MBs.

I'm guessing that a lot of the problems are due to the chipset support. If the distros are failing during the install, it is likely that there is some device probing going on, which is causing the failure. Have you been able to boot a LiveCD with a distro without installing?

I have heard suggestions that the SteamOS distro will be very stripped down, running Steam in Big Picture mode and not much else, which actually makes sense from Valve's point of view.

I installed Suse 12.3 on a M6E board and I had no problems. I have a dual boot setup with Windows 8. I also tried the Ubuntu live CD and that worked well. I have the Nvidia drivers working under Suse but did not try them under Ubuntu.

AccUser wrote:
@Atlantis852 - just been reading your thread about SLI Hell... this is something that I am hoping to have working, so interesting - although I feel your pain!

Anyway, thanks for the reply to my post. I am hoping for Debian support. From what I can tell earlier revisions supported Ubuntu, but the Asus Linux Status Report doesn't include much information about the latest MBs.

I'm guessing that a lot of the problems are due to the chipset support. If the distros are failing during the install, it is likely that there is some device probing going on, which is causing the failure. Have you been able to boot a LiveCD with a distro without installing?

I have heard suggestions that the SteamOS distro will be very stripped down, running Steam in Big Picture mode and not much else, which actually makes sense from Valve's point of view.

I installed Suse 12.3 on a M6E board and I had no problems. I have a dual boot setup with Windows 8. I also tried the Ubuntu live CD and that worked well. I have the Nvidia drivers working under Suse but did not try them under Ubuntu.

AccUser wrote: