cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice: Gaming/ Graphics Design Build

TESmith92
Level 7
Hello Everyone,
So i am going to post the build i am thinking about going with and i need some Advice. I am going to be using this for gaming with 4-6 Screens and also going to be working off of this doing graphics design.

Here is the build i am considering going with:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4820K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor ($329.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Memory: CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 Desktop Memory
Storage: SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE120BW 2.5" 120GB SATA III TLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Storage: Western Digital WD Black WD2002FAEX 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal HDD
Storage: Western Digital WD Black WD2002FAEX 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal HDD
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 4GB Video Card
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 4GB Video Card
Case: Rosewill Blackhawk- Ultra
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 850W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
Optical Drive: Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional
Monitors: Asus VN247H-P 23.6" Monitor

I would like either the extreme or the Formula, I am also thinking i will throw out the H100i and put in custom watercooling. Can i get your thoughts on what motherboard would work best for what i will be using it for? I know they are both good mother boards
10 REPLIES 10

kkn
Level 14
custom cooling will cost you a good deal, you WILL void warranty when you start picking apart parts ( GPU's for example ) unless you go for cards that all ready have blocks on them and that have warranty on them.
you need around 2x 120 rad space for each OC'd component.
bay or stand alone res or pump mounted res+++
you need a large case to house it all in.
i would do some research on that monitor setup on what sort of cards you need to use.
im not 100% shure if nvidia supports that menny.

TESmith92
Level 7
Thank you and looking at EVGA if i want the pre-installed water cooling i will have to up my game and go with this:

EVGA GeForce GTX 770 4GB Dual Classified Hydro Copper For the $629.99

No big deal, i never really thought about going that route. And they also say they can have 4 concurrent Monitors (Two dual-link DVI connectors, HDMI and Displayport 1.2)

chrisnyc75
Level 12
FYI, if you go with EVGA graphics cards you will NOT void your warranty by installing custom waterblocks. Just hang on to the original stock evga cooler shroud, and be prepared to reinstall it before any potential rma return. Per EVGA customer service, their warranty states only that to execute a rma, you must be able to return the product in the exact physical condition in which you received it. 🙂
Asus RIVBE • i7 4930K @ 4.7ghz • 8gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 CL8
2xSLI EVGA GTX 770 SC • Creative X-Fi Titanium • 2x 840 SSD + 1TB Seagate Hybrid
EVGA Supernova 1300W• Asus VG278H & nVidia 3d Vision
Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/ custom watercooling:
XSPC Raystorm (cpu & gpu), XSPC Photon 170, Swiftech D5 vario
Alphacool Monsta 360mm +6x NB e-loop, XT45 360mm +6x Corsair SP120

chrisnyc75 wrote:
FYI, if you go with EVGA graphics cards you will NOT void your warranty by installing custom waterblocks. Just hang on to the original stock evga cooler shroud, and be prepared to reinstall it before any potential rma return. Per EVGA customer service, their warranty states only that to execute a rma, you must be able to return the product in the exact physical condition in which you received it. 🙂

Thank you chrisnyc for the info there. I am thinking i will skip the custom water cooling for now and go with the H100i. My great debate is then left to the Extreme or the Formula.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Formula if you are a gamer, and extreme if you are a bencher.

Formula has the same bios but better features. The extreme has the oc panel.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

kkn
Level 14
how about the LGA 1150 series then? ( just a tought )

HiVizMan wrote:
Formula if you are a gamer, and extreme if you are a bencher.

Formula has the same bios but better features. The extreme has the oc panel.

I like the formula's looks and the integrated water cooling abilities for if i want to watercool in the future. However it for some reason doesnt support the 3-way sli with Nividia only the 3-way crossfire? As the Extreme if i want to add 4 Graphics cards i have that ability.

kkn wrote:
how about the LGA 1150 series then? ( just a tought )

I have thought about other boards but i really like the Red and Black. It is more along the lines of if i want to add more than 2 GPUs. Atm i do not but in the future i may want to. And i could add custom water cooling to either of the boards i just like how the formula looks with it.

sectionate
Level 12
For eyefinity gaming of 4-6 screens your going need/want a complete water system. You can pick up ati 7950 for like 200-250 depending on manf. 3 gigs of ddr5 is beast mode
Crosshair IV 1090T 4093.7 - Crosshair V FX - 8350 Batch # 1243PGT 4.422MHz - 4816.08 MHz 1.5v - GSKILL F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR(x2)1087.6 11-12-10 1.5volts - ViewSonic VX2439wm - Acer GD235HZ - SyncMaster P2350 - PowerColor Red Devil RX 480 8GBD5-3DH/OC - Current Mode: 5760 x 1080 - (retired) ASUS GTX660DC2O2GD5 - Nvidia 3D Vision Wired - HAF 932 - Corsair HX850 - Corsair H100i - latest quakelive.com - Day thirteen 60fps - as always I'm powered by Futurelooks.com

Level 7
CPU / Mobo don't match. i7-4820K is Ivy Bridge-E and it uses LGA 2011, and the Maximus VI series use LGA 1150. Either switch CPU to a Haswell Chip (i7-4770K) or switch motherboard to a Rampage IV board.