cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G51J overheating

Edoardo
Level 7
Hello, I don't know if this is the right section to post in, but my asus g51j recently began overheating to the point of shutting itself down. I tried many solutions read on this and other forums, in particular I cleaned the fan and changed the thermal paste, but still it's overheating. Can someone propose a solution because i don't really know what to do anymore... Thanks in advance, and please don't use technical terms because i'm italian and I don't understand most of them.
2 REPLIES 2

wasteofpaint
Level 7
Sad to see this post got overlooked, because i too am experiencing the same problem and looking for a solution. Even more frustrating, is that it just came back from the service center, and it worked fine beforehand.

Tokens210
Level 10
Problem with laptops is how close everything is, my family used to have 3 laptops, non Asus but they all suffered the same issue, first time they overheated they never stopped, 2 of them were due to the graphics card becoming so hot it actually warped the cooling fan so although it seemed like it was spinning it barely ever did

Normally steps would be

1. Ensure cooling fan is actually spinning
2. Ensure all cooling pathways are unrestricted
3. Set Microsoft power plan to be balanced so the laptop isn't running 100% all the time

And never use the laptop on soft surfaces like carpet or bed covers, sometimes even being on a lap depending on the pants being worn can restrict it
CoolerMaster HAF 932 Advanced/ Maximus VI Formula/ I7-4770K/Swiftech H320/ Corsair HX850/ G.Skill Trident X (2x8) 16gb 2400MHz/ 2x 840 EVO 120gb(Raid 0)/ WD 1TB HDD (Backup/Storage)/ EVGA GTX 1gb 560 TI/ Asus 12x bluray combo