cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Audio Asus G750JX

Al_Jourgensen
Level 7
Hello community

i have an Asus G750JX that is connected to a yamaha amplifier, via digital output with 5.1 DTS and Dolby, but when I want to listen to music for example, the sound is all in stereo PCM, the sound is not good, and i was wondering if I buy an external sound card, if the audio may be played always in 5.1, even in the windows environment, or if there is any player that emits sound in 5.1, like in my old Asus M50Vn, the Asus with other programs since the file is converted to 5.1, such as a movie, it converts it to dolby 5.1 but in music i use winamp for listen , but i have no chance, even if i change the options of the amplifier to 5.1, the music always output in pcm stereo

any help regarding this concern will be much appreciated.

Thank you very much
20 REPLIES 20

cronik916
Level 7
good question. i would like to know as well. ima audio whore and am very picky about sound quality. i use bluetooth out to bose portable speaker at work and i run the audio through hdmi to my 65inch dlp tv i use as a monitor in my living room. both circumvent the stereo

well i got this answer from creative

Thank you for contacting Creative.

With reference to your email, I understand that you wish to know if buying an external sound card would help you get 5.1 output on any audio files that you play.

Yes, using a sound card with the right settings will allow you achieve the 5.1 sound that you wish with the help of the bundled software with will help you encode a stereo PCM signal into a Dolby Digital or DTS encoded signal.

You may want to consider checking the following sound cards:

SOUND BLASTER X-FI SURROUND 5.1 PRO
http://en.europe.creative.com/p/sound-blaster/sound-blaster-x-fi-surround-5-1-pro

SOUND BLASTER OMNI SURROUND 5.1
http://en.europe.creative.com/p/sound-blaster/sound-blaster-omni-surround-5-1

I hope this helps.

If you have further questions, comments or concerns please include them in your reply. Thank you.

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Al_Jourgensen wrote:
Hello community

i have an Asus G750JX that is connected to a yamaha amplifier, via digital output with 5.1 DTS and Dolby, but when I want to listen to music for example, the sound is all in stereo PCM, the sound is not good, and i was wondering if I buy an external sound card, if the audio may be played always in 5.1, even in the windows environment, or if there is any player that emits sound in 5.1, like in my old Asus M50Vn, the Asus with other programs since the file is converted to 5.1, such as a movie, it converts it to dolby 5.1 but in music i use winamp for listen , but i have no chance, even if i change the options of the amplifier to 5.1, the music always output in pcm stereo

Thank you very much

1. Apologize in advance if I don't understand your post correctly or your hardware setup, but if you were able to get 5.1 working with your old ASUS M50Vn, wondering how it was connected to your amplifier/speakers and why this same set up doesn't work on the G750JX since it should work about the same in my opinion although I may be wrong.

2. We should wait for your reply to question #1 above, but expect the G750JX also provides SPDIF optical output, so wondering if you are using this type of connection and what problems you see to get 5.1 output from the notebook.
Below is a screenshot from the G750JW with options for digital output you can try if you have not already.

3. If you are able to get 5.1 working on the G750JX for some things but not others because of software limitations, then that may be a different story, but expect you saw similiar issues with the M50Vn unless there was something different with the software setup.

Well, hope this helps and makes sense, but if not, feel free to disregard my reply.

hmscott
Level 12
Al_Jourgensen wrote:
Hello community

Thank you very much

The G750 headphone jack doubles as the S/PDIF output port, you need a 3.5mm Mini Toslink connector on an adapter or on one end of a Toslink cable.

I used one to connect to my Marantz AV7005, but haven't tried it yet with the G750. It was an inexpensive cable, probably less than $10.

Be Careful: Make sure the specific item you order has a 3.5mm Toslink, also called Mini-Toslink connector at one end before purchasing. Here are some examples, but searches turn up lots of other options.

Newegg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1050NV9898

I think I bought mine at Fry's:
http://www.frys.com/product/4711739

Or Microcenter:
http://www.microcenter.com/product/392901/6%27_Toslink_to_Mini-Toslink_Digital-SPDIF_Optical_Audio_C...

Al_Jourgensen
Level 7
hello ppl

my issue doesn´t have nothing to do with that, but i thank you for your answers.

i´m going to try to explain with an example

listen to music
i use winap, and in my previous notebook, i connect it directly to my amplifier, and choose on the sound options (in the panel like the above post), the digital output exit, and then i cliked on propreties, and go to the last hash, and choose surround 5.1 speakers.
Now i don´t have that option, i only have 2 channels, so the sound exit in my 5.1 system, is in 2 channels stereo PCM.

The system only changes to sorround 5.1 or DTS when i play a movie for example with "xmbc"

the Windows envoirement, or anything that i play in this envoirement, to listen music for example, the digital output is 2.0 channels PCM

On my previous notebook, 5.1 was always ON, because i choose that option, that i don´t have in this notebook

that is my problema, i, for example, can´t hear music decent

and this is a major problem, and i want to know, if i have to buy an external soundcard (that is my #1 option), or i get a solution for this...there are only 2 ways

if somebody can help me, i´ll be much appreciated

thank you all

Al_Jourgensen wrote:
hello ppl

my issue doesn´t have nothing to do with that, but i thank you for your answers.
i´m going to try to explain with an example
listen to music
i use winamp, and in my previous notebook, i connect it directly to my amplifier, and choose on the sound options (in the panel like the above post), the digital output exit, and then i clicked on properties, and go to the last hash, and choose surround 5.1 speakers.
Now i don´t have that option, i only have 2 channels, so the sound exit in my 5.1 system, is in 2 channels stereo PCM.

The system only changes to surround 5.1 or DTS when i play a movie for example with "xmbc"

the Windows environment, or anything that i play in this environment, to listen music for example, the digital output is 2.0 channels PCM

On my previous notebook, 5.1 was always ON, because i choose that option, that i don´t have in this notebook

that is my problem, i, for example, can´t hear music decent

and this is a major problem, and i want to know, if i have to buy an external soundcard (that is my #1 option), or i get a solution for this...there are only 2 ways

if somebody can help me, i´ll be much appreciated

thank you all

The answer is in your example. 🙂

You need to have a sound source that generates a detectable matrix audio sound stream for the signal to get interpreted as multi-channel.

It works fine from XMBC as it generates the Dolby 5.1 or DTS signal and is detected by the Amplifier.

You need a music player that will generate a true or fake multichannel signal that the amplifier can recognize.

Your amplifier probably has a fake surround mode that will simulate multichannel matrix from your stereo music sources, or you can get a Windows app to do it for you, either way you might find the Amplifier does a better job of faking the surround from stereo source.

Here are Winamp plugins that will do multichannel expansion from a stereo source:
http://www.winamp.com/plugin/stereo-expander/61461
http://www.winamp.com/plugin/izotope-ozone/79374

And, there is an option in the Realtek config speaker panel that turns on Virtual Sound. Mine only shows stereo because that is the only output I have available.

Have you tried setting the Speaker configuration beyond stereo after connecting the S/PDIF cable and turned on the Amplifier?

When you selected the Playback Device Realtek Digitial Device, did you enable all the options for output formats your amplifier supports?

Realtek Digital Output Properties Supported Formats

I don't have a Toslink connection set up, so I only see 2 channel options:

What I see for the 2 speaker configuration under Enhancements

Let us know what you find works for you 🙂

Al_Jourgensen
Level 7
Thank you for the quality of your answer my friend

but the thing is that i have done what you tell me, regarding the winamp plugins, only the first sounds (i think) a little better

has you can see i have these settings

in my previous Asus, i had one more hash, that was saying Dolby Surround, and i had to marke it, then in the hash of "advaned, has you can see i´m iqual has you are, but in my previous notebook, i had also surround 5.1 speakers, in the last option of the list to select.
Now i only have this plug in, to in some way, make a virtual surround to contour the problem

But this is a sad thing, i´m a DJ, i need the notebook fuctional, in matter of sound, and i only see one way, buy an external sound card, to always have 5.1 signal always, like i used to have....

really, i bought this notebook, because of it´s performance, it´s unquestionable, but the compatibility it´s a head hake.

At this point, i had to bought a new Bluetooth keyboard to function with this notebook, and i had to send to the garbage an Apple Wireless Keyboard, that doesn´t pair with this Bluetooth, and i have to by a soundcard........

I should have stayed with the other one.....i spent almoust 2300 with this peace of..... with the peripherals included......when would this end.....first i got problems with asus because of the notebook that they have sell me, to try to change it for another one like this one, 1000 call´s later Asus helped me and change it, now, there are very failure points. really......i don´t know what else i could do...

Thank you sow much all for your help my friends. I apreciated very much, didn´t expect it, thank you

Al_Jourgensen wrote:
Thank you for the quality of your answer my friend
but the thing is that i have done what you tell me, regarding the winamp plugins, only the first sounds (i think) a little better
has you can see i have these settings
in my previous Asus, i had one more hash, that was saying Dolby Surround, and i had to marke it, then in the hash of "advaned, has you can see i´m iqual has you are, but in my previous notebook, i had also surround 5.1 speakers, in the last option of the list to select.
Now i only have this plug in, to in some way, make a virtual surround to contour the problem
But this is a sad thing, i´m a DJ, i need the notebook fuctional, in matter of sound, and i only see one way, buy an external sound card, to always have 5.1 signal always, like i used to have....
really, i bought this notebook, because of it´s performance, it´s unquestionable, but the compatibility it´s a head hake.
At this point, i had to bought a new Bluetooth keyboard to function with this notebook, and i had to send to the garbage an Apple Wireless Keyboard, that doesn´t pair with this Bluetooth, and i have to by a soundcard........
I should have stayed with the other one.....i spent almoust 2300 with this peace of..... with the peripherals included......when would this end.....first i got problems with asus because of the notebook that they have sell me, to try to change it for another one like this one, 1000 call´s later Asus helped me and change it, now, there are very failure points. really......i don´t know what else i could do...
Thank you sow much all for your help my friends. I apreciated very much, didn´t expect it, thank you

Al_Jourgensen, I know the frustration when things don't work, but this is a new laptop, new software, and bugs are bound to be found. I am trying to recall, and I think when I got the Asus G2S the Digital output wasn't working correctly, I went away and did other work and came back after doing updates for a while, I don't recall how long, and then it was working.

Googling I find tons of complaints about Realtek and not getting Surround sound, only 2 or 2.1 under all kinds of combinations of situations with all kinds of hardware, it isn't just Asus, and it happened between XP => Vista => Win 7 and now Win 8, and we will get it fixed and then 8.1 will break it again 🙂

When you get new hardware, right after release, you are going to lack some of all the eventual niceties, but if you don't know that going in, I can understand the frustration - as it is easy to imagine it all working like you want or imagine it to - like your old mature bug-free solution.

I have owned dozens of keyboards, and I change them frequently, and have a few favorites I wear out and can't replace. It is always tough saying goodbye to a good keyboard. I have some mini Bluetooth keyboards and mice that now only pair with old hardware.

IDK why the Apple Keyboard isn't working, I have paired mine many times over with lots of weird stuff, but don't have it any longer so I can't figure out the solution for you - but I find it hard to believe - as in I would be very frustrated - if it didn't work too. But, I wouldn't throw away the Apple Keyboard, sell it and move on, or save it for future use - it might pair one day after a driver update.

Compatibility is a two edged sword, the blame can be on either device.

Think of it as an opportunity to upgrade your peripherals, not a negative, but a positive.

Now you get to get a Cool USB external sound card to use with your Cool New Laptop. You are a DJ, you must have friends with working solutions that you can check out and decide on a sweet set up.

Let us know what you find and how it works out for you.

Version 6.0.1.7040

Description Realtek Audio Driver V6.0.1.7040 for Windows Win8.1 32bit & Win8.1 64bit---(WHQL).
File Size 296,27 (MBytes) 2013.09.27 update