cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage IV Extreme Asmedia SATA ports not working

TigerNightmare
Level 7
Hey, all, I just built this computer and I've been having issues with the non-Intel SATA ports. I understand I'm only supposed to put hard drives in it, but nothing I plug into it works.

Right now, I have three drives as a RAID 5, a blu-ray drive, and a 3.5" hot swap bay plugged into the Intel controller and a single hard drive and an eSATA port on my chassis plugged into the two Asmedia ports. The plan is to switch to RAID 10, transfer all my files over, then grow the array to four drives while keeping a non-RAID disk for DVR recordings.

I downloaded and flashed the latest BIOS from the website (4403) and everything looks alright there. I don't see the Asmedia OPROM when booting, even though it's enabled. Same thing if that other setting says Force BIOS or Keep Current. In Device Manager under IDE/ATAPI controllers, I see Asmedia 106x SATA Controller, ATA Channel 0 and ATA Channel 1, but I'm thinking those are the built-in eSATA ports in the back. I have the latest drivers installed, but no matter what I plug into there, nothin. It's not the drives either. I tried different ones and they all get recognized if I use the Intel controller. Please tell me there's something I can do to get them working. Would be a huge pain in the ass to RMA at this point.
37 REPLIES 37

HiVizMan
Level 40
Please post a screen shot showing that you have enabled Asmedia SATA ports = Fat formatted USB stick F12 to take the screenshot.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Woof. That's a pretty cool function.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Hehe it is pretty cool I agree.

OK and now the SATA ports page please. And do have a drive connected to your Asmedia sata port.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

TigerNightmare
Level 7
Right now, I only have a 1 TB drive plugged into the Asmedia controller. If I switch from RAID Mode to IDE Mode, it will show two separate controllers, but then I can't boot unless I transfer Windows to another drive. The two extra ports don't show up either way.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Hmm that is odd.

You should see the device in OS at least.

I think I am going to have to suggest RMA the board.

Are you sure? I read somewhere that OPROMs were disabled after BIOS version 3010, I think it was, for Windows8 compatibility, and a ton of options changed or disappeared around then. Will contact official support now, either way.

HiVizMan
Level 40
I have been playing with my RIVE and I did not have the same experience.

TigerNightmare
Level 7
Are you using the same BIOS version? You're saying the SATA ports on both controllers are supposed to appear on the same screen?

Just got it back yesterday and the problem still persists. They put an older BIOS on it, which didn't work any better and I flashed it to the version I had before I sent it. The RMA page says "Product Received > (Waiting) > Repairing > Final Testing> Packing > Ready for Shipping > Repair Finished". I feel like their testing involves checking if the SATA ports get power but no real world testing where various drives are detected in the BIOS and data is moved between drives in a Windows environment. If that.

So, what do I do now? Is there just something I'm not doing right? Is there some sort of hidden limitation to the board that I'm not aware of, drives bigger than 500 MB being undetectable or RAID configurations on the Intel controller making them unusuable or what? If I waste another $15 shipping for a new RMA, what are the odds of this happening again? Help help help haaaaaaaaaaaaaaalp. Argh.