cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

decision to buy?

skyeskye
Level 7
I am a graphic artist, not a gamer but am considering purchasing an ASUS G750JW just for the speed and memory capacity. I have two concerns regarding the G750. It has a horribly short battery life and does not appear to have a software bundle such as MS Office Suite, Adobe Standard, etc. The cost to buy the commonly bundled utility software (found on non-gamer machines) would be more than the cost of the G750. I am certain that gamers also work in offices and need office utilities.

Am I mistaken about the software bundle?

My second choice was the Asus N76VJ, which was also suitable, except for the facts that it has a lower speed HD, impossible screen resolution for a graphic artist of 1600x900, and I don't know how much RAM comes installed.

I have not been able to find a living soul associated with an Asus pre-sales department, so don't know if I can upgrade the N76VJ, but I am certain that I can get a response to my questions about the G750 through this forum.

Thank you,
Skye
2 REPLIES 2

kkn
Level 14
try and hit up the notebook section and see what they can say there, and what advice and sutch they have.
the laptop users mostly hangs out there since thats where they get the help they need.

Gorman
Level 12
Gamers tend to use free office programs (google docs, open office, libre office, etc - personally I use google docs because that's what I use at work as an ENTERPRISE PROGRAMMER). Most of these programs can write PDF's for free by the way 😉 And so can your PSCS/FW etc and probably whatever you use.

Battery life is something you won't find in gaming laptops. Power and battery life don't go hand in hand! Depending on your exact needs it may be possible to optimize the system - for example reducing storage power requirements by switching to SSD and adding more RAM (gotta keep that scratch pad off secondary storage!), also getting a system with CPU parking, switchable graphics or even integrated graphics in addition to discrete will allow you to use power or battery when you want to.

RAM and drive upgrades are possible on practically any laptop.

What programs do you use? If we get some specifics we can recommend suitable hardware to open up bottlenecks and reduce excessive power usage.