cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Normal running temp?

Mikon
Level 7
Got a new 750JW and i'm mostly on swgemu, some steam games but nothing too crazy. Temp sticks around 58c sometimes lower, sometimes a little higher. is this normal?
9 REPLIES 9

hmscott
Level 12
58c is about right 🙂

What is your room temperature there? Mine is 74.6'F right now.

Here is a snapshot of the range over 10 minutes, while browsing in Windows, running Linux(s) under Virtualbox, and watching a streaming video on RedboxInstant. I had set back to stock speeds a little while ago, so these readings are also at stock speeds.

And here is a 10 minute snapshot after restoring full OC and -60Mv voltage offset for CPU/cache

Mikon
Level 7
Room temp is normally about 68 (unless the wife feels the need to increase it, silly girl, to 70) I'm stuck in a little folding desk type of thing in the living room against an exterior wall at a large window (so it's a little cooler on that wall. I'm near a forced air floor heat register but I've got the air deflected from it with one of those nifty little plastic/magnetic airflow diverting things made for vents. I've got curtains that are sometimes open, sometimes closed but I keep the back of the laptop at least 8 inches away from the wall/curtains to avoid having the computer ingest it's own magma like noxious heat fumes 😄

I bought a cooler master notepal x3....noticed no cooling so returned it and got a coolermaster sf 19.....but I haven't had time to mess with the new one. I've never really given much clout to laptop coolers....seems like a gimmick to me but it's got big fans, looks and sounds obnoxious with the pretty multi-colored lights, so it's a keeper. What's your opinion on coolers? I've always thought that anything stiff and flat for those in-bed movies will keep the bottom sucking good air and vents not closed off.

Mikon wrote:
Room temp is normally about 68 (unless the wife feels the need to increase it, silly girl, to 70) I'm stuck in a little folding desk type of thing in the living room against an exterior wall at a large window (so it's a little cooler on that wall. I'm near a forced air floor heat register but I've got the air deflected from it with one of those nifty little plastic/magnetic airflow diverting things made for vents. I've got curtains that are sometimes open, sometimes closed but I keep the back of the laptop at least 8 inches away from the wall/curtains to avoid having the computer ingest it's own magma like noxious heat fumes 😄

I bought a cooler master notepal x3....noticed no cooling so returned it and got a coolermaster sf 19.....but I haven't had time to mess with the new one. I've never really given much clout to laptop coolers....seems like a gimmick to me but it's got big fans, looks and sounds obnoxious with the pretty multi-colored lights, so it's a keeper. What's your opinion on coolers? I've always thought that anything stiff and flat for those in-bed movies will keep the bottom sucking good air and vents not closed off.

A cooler pad won't help much, Better would be a fan behind the laptop blowing away the hot air coming out of the vents. When doing normal work the hot air output isn't much, but if the laptop is kept near a wall, in a corner, the area will fill up with warm air over time, raising the ambient temperature of the air the laptop is sucking in for cooling.

Run something that logs the temp over time, like HWinfo64 or AIDA64, and get a range of temps that match up with collected CPU utilization to see idle temp and load temps.

Just picking one temp out as a single sample doesn't say much. 58' is not good if it is the lowest idle temp ( 0% cpu utilization for a stretch), but if it is the temp you get while doing work, loading the CPU, it isn't bad. You need to put the temperature readings into a context of work the laptop is/isn't doing to be useful.

As for the floor vent, get a pre-made vent deflector, or make a deflector out of cardboard/wood and duct tape (the heat reflecting kind) to reflect the heat away from your work area. Better you are cold, and the laptop is cold 🙂

Do a longer running benchmark, heat up the CPU, and put your hand in the air stream coming out of the left vent, feel how forceful the output is and the extreme heat - 8 inches is likely too close to the wall - especially if the desk goes up and touches the wall - containing the heat. Pull the desk away from the wall, or face the back of the desk toward the center of the room - who wants to face a wall all the time? 🙂

villiansv
Level 11
This laptop sucks in air from just under the screen hinge (i.e. from the top/keyboard panel). As such, any cooler pad with fans blowing air at the bottom of the laptop will be more or less useless.

Mikon
Level 7
Thanks for the awesome tips 🙂

Mikon wrote:
Thanks for the awesome tips 🙂

:cool:

Pitcher1
Level 9
i think it is good temp, if some peopl will get high 80-90 temp when they play high loading game.

rawpure
Level 7
Those temps are perfectly alright, keep in mind this is a haswell too ^^

Some brands like Hp and Dell (aka crap), have really poor cooling exept for dells alienware ofc, single fan units that are mounted wrong and with minimal copper>< had an envy 15 touchsmart, it had superb hardware in it, but when it came to cooling it was a vacuum cleaner and a hot one 😛

Also with a cooling pad you wont getmuch out of it, i sawed a piece of wood and have that as a firm "plate" under it, so i can just pick it up and sit on the couch ^^ also way cheaper option 😄

rawpure wrote:
Those temps are perfectly alright, keep in mind this is a haswell too ^^

Haswell TDP is lower than last gen, so the Intel chips should technically run a bit cooler. It's the 7xxM NVidia cards that run hotter this generation. 🙂

58 C is stable. It could be better, though your main concern is temps under load!

We customize Asus, MSI, and Clevo laptops!