cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage IV Extreme PCI-E Bus Clock

N0ble
Level 7
Hi,

I have recently swapped out my 2 7870's for 2 7990's.

I was running my BCLK at 105 on my 3820 and was running fine, upon installing the 7990's i get stability issues.
I set the BCLK to 100 and all is fine, so i believe the 7990's are more sensitive to PCI-E bus speed changes.

How can I manually control the PCI-E clock speed on this board as i cannot find an option?

Thanks
5 REPLIES 5

Shamino
you cant , its linked to bclk and bclk strap

100bclk strap with 105bclk = 105/100 x 100 = 105dmi/pcie

125bclk strap with 120bclk = 120/125 x 100 = 96dmi/pcie

dmi/pcie= bclk/bclkstrap x 100

N0ble
Level 7
Thanks for the reply.

ah damn 😞

I can get good OC with 125BCLK strap but that obviously turns off the voltage reductions feature.

Hmmm not sure what to do now, as I do see quite a significant performance increase running 4.6ghz as apposed to 4.3ghz as additionally i cannot get my RAM to run at 2133mhz when running 100blck strap for some reason.

HiVizMan
Level 40
What bios are you using currently?
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Hatross
Level 10
PCIe spread spectrum?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spread_spectrum#Spread-spectrum_clock_signal_generation

spread spectrum (for PC components) means that it will dynamically cycle clockspeeds up and down around the target figure to reduce the noticeable interference it causes with other devices.

Spread spectrum and making pci-e not overclock with the cpu
...wide open

Nodens
Level 16
PCIe spread spectrum should be off for BCLK overclocking. But not cause of voltage spikes as that forum post suggests.

It's the modulation of the frequency in order to avoid EMI that can cause instability, it has nothing to do with voltage or the CPU.

BCLK overclocking has a very tight headroom. Most systems on this platform can't handle more than 6% increase on BCLK and when operating at the edge you probably also have to tweak skew settings as well to stabilize it. So when you're at 105 you're close to the upper end of the threshold. A slight variation in frequency can throw the system off:)

Be careful with BCLK though as you can also very easily corrupt windows installations/your data, always backup any data you would mind missing before tweaking BCLK. (I personally only suggest BCLK overclocking for benching...unless of course you know what you're doing:))

Similarly CPU spread spectrum can throw a fragile CPU overclock into instability as well (for the same reason) but generally the CPU is much more lenient than the bus..

EDIT: Btw since your RAM is not stable at 2133 with 100 strap, can you give us some more details? What RAM is it and how are you setting it up? (XMP? what timings? etc)
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.