cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weight of the laptop a problem/On battery Gaming?

Coombzy
Level 7
Hello I was wondering whether the weight on the JW variant is a problem I noticed it was 4.6kg compared to the 2.7-3kg of most GTX 765M laptops however I really like the look of the laptop so I am considering it as a college/portable powerhouse system
would I really care if I carried it in a laptop bag until I needed to get it out in lessons etc or should I consider other options?
29 REPLIES 29

Flea0
Level 10
it weighs about 4 kg, not 4.6, not counting the power supply. It's heavier than other laptops but a man shouldn't even be bothered by it. what might be an issue is it's sheer size: the 17" screen is 21 cm long vertically but the laptop is a LOT (11 cm!) longer than that depth-wise due to the cooling system, on the back, so it might be a hassle to position safely on those tiny university desks. invest in a GOOD laptop backpack.
ASUS G750JX -- i7-4700 - 16GB - 128GB 840 PRO SSD + 1TB HDD - Nvidia GTX 770M - 120Hz 3D glossy display

not really worried about the size of the desks due to them being quite large not 1 table per person I am used to a 17.3 inch on my old laptop so the size is fine also I was worried about for example having it in a laptop bag with college timetables books etc weight wise.

Flea0
Level 10
I remember my middle school backpack weighing almost 10 kg with all the goddamn books they had us carry. I think you'll be fine, although you will be the one with the heaviest, bulkiest backpack.
ASUS G750JX -- i7-4700 - 16GB - 128GB 840 PRO SSD + 1TB HDD - Nvidia GTX 770M - 120Hz 3D glossy display

well thanks for the quick response and input looks like I may go for it then

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Can you get one of those 'rolling' backpacks that you can roll around on the ground instead?
You back will probably thank you for it?

not using a backpack I use a laptop bag like a briefcase type thing.

Flea0
Level 10
well then make sure it's well padded because the weight of the laptop is a threat to the pc itself. it's going to have a LOT of inertia if you bang it against a table. One more thing, be aware that the G750 is a powerhouse when plugged in. On battery it's much less impressive, which should be obvious but many users are surprised by this.

if I had to run off battery would the i7's 4600 iGPU kick in or is it disabled?

Flea0 wrote:
On battery it's much less impressive, which should be obvious but many users are surprised by this.

How?
G750JW: i7-4700HQ, 12GB DDR3L 1600MHz, GTX765M 2GB GDDR5, OZC Vertex 4 256GB+Hitachi HTS727575A