cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Helicopters and crashes

Neumi
Level 7
Hi, I just switched to the Xonad Phoebus Solo, was using a Creative Recon3D previously (the constant sound chanel switching ruined my nerve, that's why I changed).
However, I encountered 3 Problems

1. The microphone (connected at the rear panel) sometimes acts rather strangely. I was told that it sounds like a helicopter at times.

2. The Lord of the Rings Online crashes when "Xear 3D EX" is enabled, it should provide hardware 3D sound effects, right? Only then the "generic hardware" is avaiable to select, but no matter if I select hardware or software, the game crashes after a few moments if I enter an area with EAX effects (best place to test it are the crafting halls in Moria, the reverb of the smithing hammers is quite distinctive).

3. When starting the game yesterday evening and this morning, it messed up the sound card driver, I only heared scratching and stuff through both headphones and speakers until I restarted the computer - even until I shut down the game.
Edit: I learned that the bug happens if a game allows to select a sound device for output and if the standard windows device is different from the selected device (Headphones selected ingame, speakers set as default in Windows). It also happenes in other games which allow to select a sound device.

Something else: Since I never ever want to use headphones and speakers at the same time ... is it possible to set the driver in a way that there is only ONE sound device avaiable for both (the Recon3D has that)? I mean: I would select the "Xonar Analog Output" then as main device and according to the setting in the control panel either speakers or headphones would be selected. Is that somehow possible? And if so, is it possible to map a hotkey combination to switch between headphones and speakers?
6 REPLIES 6

Neumi
Level 7
Here's another way to let the system go to tilt.
1. Use speakers for skype, do some chatting
2. In the control panel set the headphones as playback device, start playing a game which also uses the headphones. At the same time have ventrilo on the headphones
3. Important: don't switch of Skype, receive an incoming call ...

Again it would be VERY useful if both headphones and speakers would act as ONE sound device and the driver then only redirects the output instead of offering 2 devices, that would prevent this bug from happening I think.

sh000kz
Level 8
Xear 3D EX is only for old eax games
Rules are made to be brake
Some Pics of my RIG https://abload.de/gallery.php?key=kQVMUtOc

Yeah, it'I noticed that.
It's a shame that it crashes new games.

Anyway, the reason why I am posting. It seems I got rid of one problem: the crashing when entering a game set to headphones when I set the speakers as default windows sound device:
On my german computer the standard name for headphones is "Kopfhörer" (set by the driver, it's the same for all different kinds of soundcards). Because I was writing a tool to set the configuration of different games through one application, I noticed that the "ö" was displayed differently in each configuration file, that's something normal. Because I am lazy I didn't want to keep track of all the different modes, so I renamed "Kopfhörer" to "Headphones" in the audio device section.
No mor crashing...
As strange as it sound, the NAME of the audio device caused the crashes and distorted sounds which only disappeared after a sound device restart (through computer reboot or the systems panel). How stupid is that?

sh000kz
Level 8
du bist vermutlich deutscher? nun gut internationales forum also leider englisch sprechen^^

i think the most important fail by asus is the whql, when the driver have no whql windows 7 and 8- 8.1run the driver in a sepcial secure *virtual machine* with some lower priority and no rights, so the result of this is that the driver can not handle the soundcard because missing rights
Rules are made to be brake
Some Pics of my RIG https://abload.de/gallery.php?key=kQVMUtOc

Ok, it was not related to the device name.
Today I
1. switched the dirver to headphones
2. turned Ventrilo on
3. started SWTOR
4. alt+tabbed to Windows
5. turned off ventrilo
6. switched to speakers
7. entered a Skype conversation
8. switched to SWTOR to quit it
9. quit SWTOR
=> driver crash
I assume it happened because SWTOR was started with headphones, but when I quit it the driver was set to speakers.
Either that or Skype managed to crash the driver, because a conversation was running in background.

Adrian_H
Level 7
I too have that buzzing noise problem. I think, I will return Phoebus. I think no warranty will help.