Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ROG Member Array

where's pcie 3.0

Hello all. I m new to the forums her so forgive me if this topic has been covered. The new r9 series of graphics cards is coming out soon as we all know. I m particularly interested in the 290x which has been said can crossfire without the bridge over pcie 3.0. However there are no amd motherboards with pcie 3.0. It seems weird that this has been overlooked especially by asus and rog. I was wondering if anybody knows if rog has something in the works to address this oversight.

ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array abvolt's Avatar

Current: MSI Xpower Gaming Titanium | 7700K | G Skill Ripjaws V 3000 16Gb | 960 EVO 500Gb | Intel 730 480Gb | Seasonic 1000 Platinum |
    NZXT X62 | Acer XB270HU | EVGA 1080 ti FTW3

Secondary: R4BE | 4930K | G.SKILL 2400 16GB | Corsair AX 1500i
    Intel 730 240GB + 480GB | EVGA GTX780 ti sli kpe | Custom H20

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array HiVizMan's Avatar

AMD are responsible for the chipsets of the AMD processor driven motherboards. So until AMD come to the party I am not sure what can be done.
    To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

ROG Guru: Diamond Belt Array Zka17's Avatar

No worries over PCIe 3.0, it will certainly be backward compatible...

Shut Up Stupid! Array DaemonCantor's Avatar

This has been discussed on the couple threads dealing with the new FM2+ Mobo's but if you missed it, New Egg has a good selection of them now including Asus, Gigabyte and ASRock which all lines carry 1 or more PCIE-16 3.0 Slots with use of the New Richland CPU's, but have a look for yourself here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...=1&name=FM2%2b. As to the Crosshair Series Give it up till the new socket lands next year....the AM4 which will not only support PCI-E x16 3.0 but also a whole lottof other things like DDR5 Support better USB3 and SATA 4(Rumor at this point) but also remember that with this socket comes the SIGNAL of the End of the CPU! AMD has publicly stated a long time ago that they are going ALL APU and Intel has also stated this with the Haswel also.

Here are two of the MoBo's I'm looking at-
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813132050

and-
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128655

Although I'm looking at the Gigabyte more due to the fact that they are the only ones that have Dual PCI-E 3.0 that can run at 16x0, 8x8 or 8x8x4 not only 16x0, 16x4. Plus they have more Features than the Asus line like Dual Bios, USB Noise Filters, USB Over Current Protection...on and on which all of this Asus could give to their AMD Customers if they weren't so worried about only Their Bottom Line, because Gigabyte did it affordable.

ROG Member Array

Thank you guys for your replies. I know pcie 3.0 is backwards compatible and amd are responsible for their own chipsets but what confuses me is that asus came out with a short lived gen 3 version of
    the sabertooth which had pcie 3.0 and still had the fx 990 chipset. What made that board different that I can t have it on my crosshair formula v. I like the fx series of cpu s. I think they offer a great price performance rratio and I ve had great luck with mine.

ROG Member Array

I found the answer I was looking for. It seems the gen 3 had a PLX chip added to the MB that was responsible for the increased bandwith.

Helium Chilled Array _ PC Specs
    _ PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G46VW
    MotherboardRampage IV Gene
    ProcessorIntel Core i7-3930K
    Memory (part number)Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (CMD32GX3M4A2133C9)
    Graphics Card #1ROG Matrix GTX 780 Ti
    Sound CardROG SupremeFX III
    MonitorASUS VG248QE with GSync mod
    Storage #1Plextor PX-M2 SSD 120GB
    Storage #2G.Skill Phoenix Blade 480GB PCIe SSD
    CPU CoolerCooler Master Seidon 240M
    CaseCooler Master HAF-X
    Power SupplySeasonic X-750
    Keyboard Corsair K90
    Mouse ROG Gladius
    Headset ROG Orion
    OS Windows 8.1 Update 1
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC66U

FM2+ will have PCIe Gen 3 when those CPUs launch next year, or, the Sabertooth 990FX Gen3 you've already spotted :thumb:

When AMD updates chipset with PCIe Gen 3, we'll be issuing a new board

Shut Up Stupid! Array DaemonCantor's Avatar

What??? Now I'm confused MarshallR??? AMD stated that the Richland APU's have PCIE 3.0 ASUS FM2+ Mobo's State right on their Site that you get PCIE 3.0 if you use a Richland APU and it's Confirmed thru Newegg as well, So why do we have to wait till next Year exactly???

Is your information Wrong or is AMD, ASUS and Newegg's information wrong? Some confirmation on this would be in order considering all of the publicity and Hype that has already been put out over this.

Helium Chilled Array _ PC Specs
    _ PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G46VW
    MotherboardRampage IV Gene
    ProcessorIntel Core i7-3930K
    Memory (part number)Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (CMD32GX3M4A2133C9)
    Graphics Card #1ROG Matrix GTX 780 Ti
    Sound CardROG SupremeFX III
    MonitorASUS VG248QE with GSync mod
    Storage #1Plextor PX-M2 SSD 120GB
    Storage #2G.Skill Phoenix Blade 480GB PCIe SSD
    CPU CoolerCooler Master Seidon 240M
    CaseCooler Master HAF-X
    Power SupplySeasonic X-750
    Keyboard Corsair K90
    Mouse ROG Gladius
    Headset ROG Orion
    OS Windows 8.1 Update 1
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC66U

Richland APUs - 6000 series - are FM2, which have PCIe Gen2 inside. http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages...iew_apu,4.html

FM2+ motherboards are backward compatible to FM2 APUs - so you can use them right now - but since the PCIe is inside the APU it will only run at PCIe 2.0 speeds. The motherboard supports any PCIe standard up to 3.0, but it entirely depends what APU you put in.
    FM2+ motherboard with new, future FM2+ APU inside will have PCIe 3.0.
    Current FM2 motherboards do not support future FM2+ APUs, so cannot support PCIe 3.0.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast