cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750J LCD Display Granulation?

nullbyte
Level 7
Maybe I'm only noticing this now or maybe it's an issue with a fresh Windows 8 installation. After three wipe attempts at a Win7 install where I was able to get everything to work except for the wireless driver I put Windows 8.1 back on. I have my HP EliteBook 8760w side-by-side with it right now and when I look at completely white areas I'm seeing smooth white on the HP but subtle color scattering on the ASUS.

Has anyone else noticed this? I tried rolling back and reinstalling the graphics drivers but maybe it was there all along...
11 REPLIES 11

Pierre990429
Level 7
It was there all along. The G750 matte screens are bad. I have an AUO screen, don't know about the Chi Mei ones.

And I'm not seeing things :

http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/718849-asus-g750-officially-announced-143...

Here you have someone else explaining what he sees (granulation, vertical lines).
All suggestions don't work. (update drivers, change refresh rate - ok, helps a bit with the horizontal waves - , uninstall Splendid)

Only solution : give this G750 away and buy an Alienware M17 with 3D (glossy) screen, or replace the screen with a glossy one. I have tried to, but after removing the 4 rubber things and screws at the 4 corners of the screen, I wasn't able to disassemble the bezel. I was afraid to break something. Looks like it's glued or really clipped tightly. (fyi, I already disassembled several Dell inspiron XPS screens, and it's easier)

A LG-Philips LP171WU1 WUXGA screen from 2005 looks MUCH better. It's scandalous.

Man, you guys are scaring me. I just sold my G74 so I can buy the G750JH DB71. It says its Anti Glare. Not sure if thats gonna me Matte or not.

One of the things I loved about the G74 was the awesome screen. Please tell me it will be the same quality in a laptop that has a MUCH more powerful 780M in it! Sounds like blasphemy.
(ROG has simply become too expensive compared to the competition with same specs... 😞 )
MSI GE75 Raider 10SGS - i7 10750H - RTX 2080 Super - 32GB Ram - 1TB WD NVMe - 2TB 960 EVO - 300Hz 17inch Display
RETIRED: ALIENWARE R17 R5 - i7 8750H - GTX 1070 @ 1.9Ghz - 16GB DDR4 - NVMe 970 EVO 1TB - SSD 960 EVO 1TB
SOLD: ASUS G703VI-XH74K, RETIRED: ASUS G752VY-DH72, RETIRED: ASUS G750JH DB71 , RETIRED:ASUS G74Sx DH72

MrRuckus wrote:
Man, you guys are scaring me. I just sold my G74 so I can buy the G750JH DB71. It says its Anti Glare. Not sure if thats gonna me Matte or not.

One of the things I loved about the G74 was the awesome screen. Please tell me it will be the same quality in a laptop that has a MUCH more powerful 780M in it! Sounds like blasphemy.

Simple. Go to Fry's or Bestbuy and check it out. I don't mind matte screens at all.
G614JV

MrRuckus wrote:

It is a personal preference built over time based on what you are used to seeing.

I had glossy screens for many years, and when matte screens became popular and my clients started using them, I wasn't happy. They didn't seem as good, and at the time they weren't - this was early days on perfecting matte screens.

After a few years of using matte screens, without a glossy screen for comparison, I was ready to get a glossy screen on my new Macintosh 17", and was thrilled to get it.

Except when I took the Glossy screen 17" out to client sites and tried to use it, the glare from the lighting - pretty much everywhere except for home - was such that the glare obscured the screen - making it difficult to use - and I had to put into service a matte screen to get work done. I ended up taking that Macintosh back and getting a matte screen laptop.

My G750JX-RB71 matte screen is awesome - I have zero complaints about.

On the G750JX-RB71 I set the Windows desktop to not magnify - 100% instead of 125%, uninstalled Splendid, set the screen refresh to 100hz, calibrated the display - calibrated Clear Text - and the G750 is great for working, great for watching Blu-ray movies, great for streaming HD video, and awesome for playing BF4 Beta 🙂

Like DeltaActual said, go and take a look at the G750 matte screen if you can, and see if you like it.

MrRuckus wrote:

I really think you dont need to freak out... I got mine a couple of days back, and I love the screen. Yes, you will miss the Glossy Screen, but the matte is just so light on your eyes, makes watching the screen less stressful.

I just love my G750JH-DB71.

And, just to let you know, the screen is an upgraded version that what you get in the JW and JX.

As per notebookreview.net, the G750JH DB71's screen is better than the Alienware 17's matte screen.
ASUS ROG G750JH-DB71

CPU: i7-4700HQ @ 2.40 GHz.
Graphics: GeForce GTX 780M 4 GB GDDR5 RAM
Screen: 17.3' Full HD Matte Screen
Memory: 24GB DDR3L 1600 MHz. RAM 3x8
Storage: 128GB * 2 SSD in RAID 0, 1TB HDD @ 5400rpm

MrRuckus
Level 10
I dont mind Matte screens myself, I use them for work, but just wanted to know if there's a huge difference between the G74 rave reviews of the Glossy screen on it compared to the G750 matte finish. Talk of granulation or what not is what had me nervous.

I guess I'll just have to wait and see. The G750 has already been ordered. I'm not sure if ALL of the G750's are 120Hz or just the 3D Model? Asus's website goes into the panel in the advertising but I'm not sure if that's all iterations of the G750 or just the 3D one.

Thanks though guys for your input! Greatly Appreciated. Anxiously waiting for this laptop.
(ROG has simply become too expensive compared to the competition with same specs... 😞 )
MSI GE75 Raider 10SGS - i7 10750H - RTX 2080 Super - 32GB Ram - 1TB WD NVMe - 2TB 960 EVO - 300Hz 17inch Display
RETIRED: ALIENWARE R17 R5 - i7 8750H - GTX 1070 @ 1.9Ghz - 16GB DDR4 - NVMe 970 EVO 1TB - SSD 960 EVO 1TB
SOLD: ASUS G703VI-XH74K, RETIRED: ASUS G752VY-DH72, RETIRED: ASUS G750JH DB71 , RETIRED:ASUS G74Sx DH72

MrRuckus wrote:
I dont mind Matte screens myself, I use them for work, but just wanted to know if there's a huge difference between the G74 rave reviews of the Glossy screen on it compared to the G750 matte finish. Talk of granulation or what not is what had me nervous.

I guess I'll just have to wait and see. The G750 has already been ordered. I'm not sure if ALL of the G750's are 120Hz or just the 3D Model? Asus's website goes into the panel in the advertising but I'm not sure if that's all iterations of the G750 or just the 3D one.

Thanks though guys for your input! Greatly Appreciated. Anxiously waiting for this laptop.

Most of the G750's, so far, are matte screens, default refresh 60hz, but can run 100hz. The only ones with glossy screens, so far, are 3D models with an IR sensor built in and 3D Glasses included in the box, 120hz - but not sure in what modes it will run 120hz.

Always visually check the box labels for the exact contents before purchasing.

When you get your G750, come back and read the forums for the discussions on how to tune your screen / install for the best image. There have been good resolutions, pun intended, to most problems people have had with the initial set up of the laptop screen.

hmscott wrote:
Most of the G750's, so far, are matte screens, default refresh 60hz, but can run 100hz. The only ones with glossy screens, so far, are 3D models with an IR sensor built in and 3D Glasses included in the box, 120hz - but not sure in what modes it will run 120hz.

Always visually check the box labels for the exact contents before purchasing.

When you get your G750, come back and read the forums for the discussions on how to tune your screen / install for the best image. There have been good resolutions, pun intended, to most problems people have had with the initial set up of the laptop screen.

Thank you sir. Will do for sure.

Hey hmscott i would like to know what your color calibration are from Nvidia portal. So i can make my screen just as good as your and i have my re-fresh rate at 75hz which i think is good. I am really scared to go any higher. Example one time i went up 120hz and boy did it freak me out. My screen started to freak out and a bunch of fuzzy line started to appear. I panicked and started task manager which was the only way i could get to Nvidia portal and drop back down to 60hz and ever since then i feel 75 is good for me but maybe i will go to 80hz who knows.