cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RB dependencies and diagnostics mode?

solaufein_gr
Level 10
Greetings to all,
got a problem here, i was havin no-problem runs with realbench in diagnostics mode and was nicely comparable (better) to runs on normal mode in windows 7 64bit.
Due to benchmark and fiddling around i stripped-unstriped the OS all the time and at some point, no matter what, realbench freezes in gimp image stuff in diagnostics mode.
Get a new clean OS installation, (its an 840 Pro samsuns SSD) setit up ... and all seems fine, got some benches, system seems stablebut problem remains.
Only in diagnostics mode (and stripped generally) realbench doesn't pass the gimp test. still freezes the system/
BTW the freezing is weird, as "reset" button doen't work. I need to hold the power to shut it down.
Now normally the CPU can be blamed or memory, but why everything else(wPrime, sPi) and even realbench completes in normal mode?

I'm sorry if this is confusing, i can clarify if anything needed.

PS: additionsl info:my systems fails badly at linpack (i use OCCT), at the point where it fills the memory (about 89-90%) it freezes the system the same way.
6 REPLIES 6

Menthol
Level 14
Solaufein_gr,
I would guess it is your system not stable, not the OS or RB. Sometimes that has happened to me during boot up after making changes in the bios and my system hangs entering the OS and the reset button does nothing

Nodens
Level 16
Yup, unstable overclocking. GIMP uses lots of RAM specially for some of the bigger images that are meant exactly for that (high RAM usage). You're getting huge RAM contents corruption.
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

nikosa43
Level 12
I have to agree with the guys above. Because I don't have OC experience from AMD, I can't offer you specific advice. But If I was you, I would try to check what causes instability. CPU or Memory. So start OC only one of your elements, CPU or memory, after a clean OS installation and do some runs to see which need to be care. Usually a voltage increase for Vcore of CPU, or Memory controller, eliminates the problems. If voltages can't do anything and you are already up too high, loosen your memory timmings and latency can do the job. If I remember correctly your RAM is also watercooled, so if you increase mem voltage it won't be a problem, unless heat transfer somewhere fails.
I read again your post and you mention that everything worked ok at that clocks? If so, a clear CMOS is a good idea. Sometimes, while you alter things all the time trying to find better settings, some of them can stuck to a value from previous ones. Setting everything to default and clearing CMOS, may help to eliminate the problem.

solaufein_gr
Level 10
Thank you all for the replies, much appreciate it 🙂
I thought it weird that gimp completes at normal OS mode and doesn't at a diagnostics mode, thats why i was curious if RB has anything to do with any services or not, part of the OS. Good to hear that is completely independent.
I have a bad habit of tight timings and voltage without purpose but ... tight timings themselves, and i pay it more than often. (must be a remnant of ocz vx gold :rolleyes:)
thankfully by november i'll have back some good memory, i didn't know i had (i read a thread about psc etc around here, very informative, plus my teamates info (yeah Dart) :))

Thanks again for your time, i'll inform if anything happens

Nodens
Level 16
RB is entirely self-contained. All the libraries it needs are packed with it. It depends on some other system libraries but if there is something wrong with them running RB would be the least of your problems as absolutely nothing would run properly. It doesn't depend on any services whatsoever..
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

midnite
Level 7
Sounds similar to a problem just experienced on my AMD platform, narrowed it down to one of the four sticks of memory, tested them individually in memtest, and narrowed it down to one that would max out on errors in less then a minute thats more then 65000 errors,