cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the best way to install windows 8.1?

tkolarik
Level 9
I just reinstalled Windows 8 in anticipation of the Windows 8.1 launch this weekend. I ran the upgrade process from within Windows 7 and chose "Keep Nothing". Then started the upgrade. I then ran thru a few Windows 8 drivers on the Asus support page and let Windows 8 take over and continue the update process. I only ran into a small problem with the Intel wireless (I upgraded the wifi card) where it thought I was on a public network and also refuse to show connection speed.

I assume the process will be similar, but should I allow windows to update everything it can first, then install drivers for what is not working correctly? And being on a SSD, deleting the windows.old file is mandatory and urgent.

Unfortunately, I will have to restore windows 7 first to unauthorized my iTunes, which I forgot! Then upgrade twice. At least, the restore will be fast using my Windows Home Server 2011.
15 REPLIES 15

HiVizMan
Level 40
You do not have to install Win7 to un-authorise Itunes my friend. All you do is unauthorise all the devices and as you use them authorise them once more, I constantly have to do that as I keep changing OS on my systems, and motherboards.

As to how to install 8.1 well the update to 8.1 will be rolled out in the next couple of weeks I understand so there is nothing to do if you have auto update enabled.

I let the auto device function of windows 8.1 find all my wireless devices on the Zenbook which I have installed Win8.1
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Clintlgm
Level 14
My humble opinion would be wait for the official release. Download it from MS Store using your win 8 product Key. Create a USB UEFI boot install media. and do a clean install. I also would have all my drivers ready to install with out letting Windows update, update anything at least until you have the Asus Drivers at least the ATK package, Chipset, IRST, and Wifi, LAN, Intel Management Engine Interface. Then let windows 8.1 auto update. This is the way I plan on doing it. HiVizMan explained the iTunes thing I don't use so can not add anything to that. Cheers
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

HiVizMan
Level 40
Good advice from Clintlgm
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

tkolarik
Level 9
You guys are right but also wrong on the iTunes question. Correct, you can deauthorize all devices at once, however, I just did that 2 months ago and you can only do it once a year.

tkolarik wrote:
You guys are right but also wrong on the iTunes question. Correct, you can deauthorize all devices at once, however, I just did that 2 months ago and you can only do it once a year.

hi everybody

last night i updated my G75VX's 8 to 8.1 via windows iso.( upgrade the system ) ... after that i noticed that my default antivirus ( trend micro) can't start !!! maybe cause of compatibility or anything else ...

i have 2 question :
1- if i upgrade my windows 8 to 8.1 , how can i install my antivirus again ( asus Cd just contain drivers) !!! cause i don't want to buy a license for antivirus . also if i use clean install , i don't have my antivirus source to install that .

2- my windows key is on the bios , how can i find that , cause when i upgrade to 8.1, it needs product key . there is some tools that can shows the product key , but that key is not acceptable by 8.1 !!!

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
mehdi.moha wrote:
hi everybody

last night i updated my G75VX's 8 to 8.1 via windows iso.( upgrade the system ) ... after that i noticed that my default antivirus ( trend micro) can't start !!! maybe cause of compatibility or anything else ...

i have 2 question :
1- if i upgrade my windows 8 to 8.1 , how can i install my antivirus again ( asus Cd just contain drivers) !!! cause i don't want to buy a license for antivirus . also if i use clean install , i don't have my antivirus source to install that .

2- my windows key is on the bios , how can i find that , cause when i upgrade to 8.1, it needs product key . there is some tools that can shows the product key , but that key is not acceptable by 8.1 !!!

Hi mehdi.moha,

Sorry, not sure what will be the best way to answer your 2 questions, but just wanted to mention the official release date for Windows 8.1 is October 18th according to Microsoft's website here, so just wanted to remind others to wait for the official release as Clintlgm mentioned to avoid problems.

Also, you may already know, but if you were able to update to Win8.1 via *.ISO, just wondering if that was Win8.1 Preview instead of Win8.1?
It may not be as smooth updating from Win8.1 Preview to Win8.1, so again others may want to wait for the official Win8.1 release to avoid problems related to this.

mehdi.moha wrote:

Again, not too sure about the solution for this situation, but just wanted to mention for other Win8 customers who plan to update to Win8.1 after the official release date that it will be a free update if you go through Windows Store and that no new product key will be required.

Well, hope this still is able to clarify the situation some and feel free discuss more with me if you wish, but you may want to hear from others too.

Question 2, you must have installed a different version of Windows. 8 Pro install won't accept embedded Windows 8 standard key. See Rewben Sticky on upgrading and notes There is a reply that explains how to modify the PID file to install a Standard install using a Pro ISO. its works for windows 8, not sure for windows 8.1 as this has not yet been released to the public.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

tkolarik wrote:

Seriously??? Wow I did not know that at all.

mehdi_moha
Level 8
thank u so much (all) 🙂

what about antivirus , is there any way to keep my antivirus( after update) ?