cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

upgrading to ssd problem

mostom
Level 7
Hey ROG community

I have asus g75 VW and currently i'm trying to put a new ssd disc inside of it but without any luck. When i replace HDD with new SSD and do the asus recovery with my four recovery discs i get the "Disk read error" after the installation is complete and computer reboots. i downloaded windows 7 home premium iso (64x) and burned it and tried installing fresh copy with that but the installation did't find any drives on my computer. when i put the ssd to second hard drive bay and hdd to first i can see the ssd on windows and i can copy stuff on there. So here is the question: what i am doing wrong...all the guides say that you just pop in the ssd install new copy of windows and you are good to go...not that simple in my case. 😞

ps i am not native english speaker so i'm sorry if this isn't good in enough.

I have asus G75 VW
windows home premium 64x
Samsung 840 pro ssd 128 Gb
750 GB hdd that came wiht the machine.
2 REPLIES 2

Clintlgm
Level 14
First off Read this thread
So the problem you are experiencing is that you have set up a install media for a MBR DISK your system is UEFI GPT, there fore you must set up a install media for UEFI GPT. Many are having good luck using Rufus to create this install media. Once you have this USB Thumb Drive or DVD which ever you choose your Clean Install should go smoothly.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

GottiBoi55
Level 10
mostom wrote:
Hey ROG community

I have asus g75 VW and currently i'm trying to put a new ssd disc inside of it but without any luck. When i replace HDD with new SSD and do the asus recovery with my four recovery discs i get the "Disk read error" after the installation is complete and computer reboots. i downloaded windows 7 home premium iso (64x) and burned it and tried installing fresh copy with that but the installation did't find any drives on my computer. when i put the ssd to second hard drive bay and hdd to first i can see the ssd on windows and i can copy stuff on there. So here is the question: what i am doing wrong...all the guides say that you just pop in the ssd install new copy of windows and you are good to go...not that simple in my case. 😞

ps i am not native english speaker so i'm sorry if this isn't good in enough.

I have asus G75 VW
windows home premium 64x
Samsung 840 pro ssd 128 Gb
750 GB hdd that came wiht the machine.

My friend, if you used the "AI Recovery Utility" that was shipped with your G75VW to burn your "Recovery Disk Set", the set is worthless!
Asus had a problem with the AI Utility working on any drive over 500GB, so they rolled out a newer version 1.0.28.
But for some reason it's no longer there in downloads, but don't worry I have a copy for you, try
this version 1.0.28.
You will need to burn a new 'AI Recovery Disk Set", and then you can use to install to you SSD.

PS: I know this works from personal experience!
(make sure your SSD is blank no formatted partitions, and is in the primary drive location and the only drive installed)
PPS: Here's a
YouTube video proving this works
About a third of the way into this video you will see the 'AI Recovery Disk Set" install to the SSD!
GottiBoi55
Asus
G750JZ-DS71 Windows 10 Pro (x64)
Intel® Core™ i7 4700HQ (2.40GHz)
Samsung
24GB Memory DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM
SanDisk
M.2 SSD 2x128GB in Raid 0 / WD-HGST-1TB HDD 7500-RPM
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 880M 4 GB GDDR5 VRAM
Second Monitor: Shar
p Aquos 32"