cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 8.1 Upgrade Warning (Drive Passwords)

c3141rog
Level 7
As an FYI, if you plan on upgrading to Windows 8.1, you must disable any passwords on your boot device that were set in the BIOS. There is a bug in the BIOS that does not send the unlock command to the boot drive when rebooting during a Windows 8.1 upgrade and the end result is that, after start the upgrade, your computer will not boot and finish the upgrade until you disable the password.
3 REPLIES 3

Pitcher1
Level 9
why do you think it is bios problem? i never meet like your problem before.

Pitcher@asus wrote:

==> Chinese (Simplified) = 为什么你认为它是BIOS的问题吗?我从来没有遇到像你的问题之前。

==> English = Why do you think it is a BIOS problem? I have never encountered a problem like you before.

==> Convert Personal Pronoun... "you"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_personal_pronouns

to Demonstrative Pronoun... "this"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demonstrative

=> "you" becomes "this"

Why do you think it is a BIOS problem? I have never encountered a problem like this before.

(why do you think it is bios problem? i never meet like your problem before.)

Pitcher@asus wrote:

During the boot process, the BIOS is supposed to prompt for the drive password and then send the appropriate ATA commands to unlock the drive. If it doesn't, any attempts to access the drive will result in an I/O error. For whatever reason, when Windows 8.1 reboots the computer the second time around (the initial reboot works fine), the BIOS doesn't prompt for a hard drive password. The end result is that you will not be able to boot from the boot drive. I suspect that the Windows 8.1 setup is putting the BIOS/EFI into some kind of maintenance mode. In addition, in EFI boot mode, there does not appear to be any error messages to the effect of no boot device; rather, if no boot devices are found, the computer simply boots into BIOS setup with no explanation.