cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G55VW upgraded to Windows 8.1 - Secure Boot isn't configured correctly

smakhtin
Level 7
Hi.

I'm upgraded my windows 8 installation to 8.1 and now always get this overlay on desktop. - "Secure Boot isn't configured correctly". What i can do with this? I checked BIOS, there is no Secure Boot and Fast Boot options. I'm using the last BIOS version.
24 REPLIES 24

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Hi,

Was your notebook shipped from ASUS with Win7 or Win8 installed and what is your bios version?

If you notebook was shipped with Win7 or repaired before, ask your local support/service center about sending in your notebook to add the settings to your bios.

If you don't know too much about secure boot, you might ask around to see if it's even something you want to worry about.

Ah, never mind this post. Is useless

brndwn wrote:
Ah, never mind this post. Is useless
That's exactly right! Asus has known this was an issue since the preview rolled out but they haven't created a new BIOS to address it.

SAME OL' ASUS --- IF IT'S OUT OF WARRANTY THEN IT'S NOT THEIR PROBLEM!!!

Asus states is that the original Windows 7 version of the G75VW will work with Windows 8 just that they are not responsible for how well it works! SecureBoot is in the BIOS but Asus has hidden it from us being able to us it. Some owners who contacted Asus earlier while their units were under warranty, say they have been able to have Asus open up the BIOS somehow so they could turn on SecureBoot.

I'm not really sure I even want it, I just don't like it that I cannot make the choice myself! PLUS THE FACT THAT I HAVE THAT DESKTOP WATERMARK.

smakhtin
Level 7
My laptop was shipped with Windows 7, it's bios version is 214, the last one for this laptop, i upgraded it 7 month ago. Windows 8 worked well on it, but Windows 8.1 showing secure boot error. Also, currently Windows installed via Windows Boot Manager, as i see in BIOS, maybe i need to re-install it in UEFI mode? But how? Also, i replaced my main hard drive with ssd and installed hard drive to cd slot.

It may simply be possible to "lower" the indows boot manager to below that of your drive in the sequence. that worked for me last night

Windows 8 didn't have a watermark when Secure Boot was off. Windows 8.1 has one.

Basically nothing is different, there's just a watermark now.

Turned it off in 8.1, but I have a pre-installed win8 G75 so I had it in the BIOS. I think I might know a tool for just removing the watermark.

tkolarik
Level 9
I saw some people posting that they used various tools to disable the watermark and group policies to make it disappear. I would suggest the watermark is better than either of those options! The watermark just indicates the SecureBoot setting that is hidden in BIOS is set to off, probably the best option. However, turning it on does have some minor albeit potential advantages with virus issues.

Apexing
Level 9
strange, my machine came with win7, ive installed win8 and win 8.1 I dont have the watermark.
while my moms lenovo laptop came with win 8 and now show the watermark on win8,1 even tho ive enabled secuboot in bios :S

ASUS, microsoft is saying its your problem. (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/secure-boot-watermark). contact your pc manufacturer for instructions on how to change the bios settings, So please tell how to change it on my G75VW.

thanks