cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Control Box?

Skryker
Level 7
Hello all.

I just recently purchased the asus rog xonar phoebus, I had some initially problems getting VLC to work, (Uninstalled it and reinstalled the 64 bit version and it worked). My problem now is the control box does not control the speaker volume at all however It does work when my head phones are in.

My reason for choosing this particular card was because of the control box, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
6 REPLIES 6

Glasofruix
Level 8
Yep, it controls windows' volume ONLY when the headphones are plugged in, the guys @Asus are trying to make us believe it's impossible to change that behaviour...

Even my keyboard can control the windows volume!

Now it's not even registering when my head phones are plugged in, I just get some weird static background and the speakers stay on.

KILLER_K
Level 10
Return the sound card and get something that is support from a manufacture. Probably something you aren't wanting to hear. But support has been dead int hew water for 7 months plus. Perhaps try a Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR. It also has a control box. There is a few cheaper models also. At this point and time I don't see their Better Business Bureau "F" rating changing anytime soon.

Links:
Creative Sound Blaster Z *No control box on this model*
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102048

Creative Labs Sound Blaster Zx
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102049

Creative Sound Blaster Z Series ZXR
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102050

Hey Killer, I'd already planned to return the card lol.

I've given up on the control boxes and just ordered a headphone extentsion lead and moved my speakers around so I can control the volume with ease (was a nightmare to do this move, which is why I wanted to be able to control with the box).

I'm currently looking at those and possibly (foolishly?) the STX.

I used to have a really cool volume knob on the front of my computer when I was using the Creative X-Fi, X-Fi 2, Recon 3D. The best thing was that it controled both speakers and headphones, since both showed up as ONE device, the driver decided where the sound sent to that device would go.
But since the first 2 are out of production and the 3rd one has bad channel switching problems, I decided to go for a Phoebus Solo.
Now I control the volume with the wheel on my keyboard, but it's just not the same. I wished there was something to put in my Pcs front panels to control the System volume.

I am also still looking for a way to use voice communication with this sound card without helicopter sounds and better noise reduction. At the moment I am using a Zalman mic plugged to the soundcard in my keyboard instead of the Phoebus ... the keyboard produces less background noises than the expensive soundcard. Way to go, Asus.

KILLER_K
Level 10
I believe it can be fixed with a software update. Hopefully the new drivers will fix it for everyone.