cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Watercooled Maximus VI Formula not starting *FIXED*

devans
Level 7
Hello, I have a built a watercooled Maximus VI Formula based machine that refuses to power up.

mother board has all 3 ATX connectors attached. If I disconnect the 24pin supply and short the restart pin I can get the power supply to provide power to HDD, Fans & Pump etc.. but when connected to the board the on board start button or the chassis button connected to the system panel connector does nothing.

Does the Maximus VI need a CPU Fan connected in order for power to be provided to the board? I have a stock fan but not to hand

Rather frustrated that I didn't check the board before building the system and fixing the pipework in place.

Many thanks for any guidance.

photo below shows pc with atx supply shorted out in order to prime and test cooling system.
5 REPLIES 5

HiVizMan
Level 40
You will need a fan connected to the CPU fan header yes, but that should not prevent the board from powering on.

What two digit q-Code on the LED poster are you getting if any?
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Thought so,

I am not getting any codes. The psu does not start when connected to the mobo (but does when shorted)

HiVizMan
Level 40
I would suggest that you pull your entire system out and start again. No easy fix here sorry.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Completed the task of rebuiding the system last night and was able to boot up the bios and monitor idle temp which was around 28 deg c.

I believe the culprit for inactivity was a stray chassis standoff that earthed a positive point on the board creating a short.

I should have tested the boards operation more thoroughly the first time around - although I have taken the opportunity to fit a RAIDR ssd card whilst the 3rd PCI-e slot was accessible. So win win 😮

HiVizMan
Level 40
Cheers for the update my friend and I am pleased you are sorted now. Enjoy what is a very good system.