cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 8 pro x64 to Windows 8.1 Pro x64 upgrade

wtm9tails
Level 9
Has anyone upgraded Windows 8 Pro to 8.1 and if so has anyone had any trouble or Issues?
MB- Asus RIVE
OS - Windows 8.1 Pro
CPU - I7 3820 @ 4.4GHz
Cooling - Corsair H100i w/4 Fans Push Pull Set Up
Main Drives - 256 GB 0Raid w/2 x 128 GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD
BkUp HD's - 2 x Seagate Baracuda 500GB HD
RAM - 32GB (8x4GB) G.Skill RipjawsZ DDR3-2133
Graphics - 2xMSI N780 Lightning

Monitors - 2xAsus VS248H-P
Optic Drives - 2xLiteOn iHAS424
Tower - Thermaltake Armor Revo Snow

24 REPLIES 24

overdriven12
Level 8
Hi

I've upgraded yesterday.

Sometimes I get strange freezes where I can only move the cursor.

The Management Engine Interface V9.0.0.1287 for Windows Win8.1 32bit & Win8.1 driver (RIVE) is broken it cannot be installed and the upgrade killed the IRST driver so you need to reinstall it after the upgrade.

The upgrade process itself was very annoying for me because it stopped at 85% and it took up to 1 hour to jump to 86%.

Necrosan
Level 12
8.1 bonus: The install frees up ~10GB of space.
MB: ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition
CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2 (Cooled by Corsair H100i w/ Noctua NF-F12 fans)
RAM: 64GB G.SKILL RipjawsZ 1600 (10-10-10-30)
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX Titan X Hybrid
TV Tuners: 2 * Hauppauge HVR-1800
Case: CoolerMaster Cosmos 2

Lemmy1978
Level 7
I had similar problems when upgrading from Windows 8 64 bit. Installed fell into error code .. So I chose a clean install of Win 8 and right after installing I chose to upgrade to 8.1 64 bit pro ..
windows works well, and the response speed is amazing, and I have a SSD (OCZ Agility 4 256 gigabytes)
Device Manager recognizes all devices, but no one, I refer to the installation-Intel_C600_MEI_NULL_HECI_VER1232002 .. so I tried to install but the installation was finished because I already have installed on your system .. Recent so I do not know ..:confused:
We encourage all clean install of Win 8 and then upgrade to 8.1 .. because windows 8.1 no service pack but new windows, although it does not seem so ..
I know of a clean install is not exactly the easiest solution, but it's best

smokeintheeye
Level 11
best way is to do a full clean install of windows 8 pro but dont do any updates or install anything els just yet. when you have windows 8 running go in windows update and just get the KB 2871389 update. after it has done restart your pc then go to the windows store and get the update for windows 8.1. after that is all done then start on the drivers you need for you mobo and gpu. the The Management Engine Interface and IRST driver will go on now aswell and work.

think thats the drivers i used.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Software+Products&ProductL...

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=22596

after that do the windows update. then your all good to go.

if like me you flashed your ssd to do the clean install you will have to chat with Microsoft for them to redo you windows key so keep that in mined.

Any Reputation is welcome. thanks

HiVizMan
Level 40
wtm9tails wrote:
Has anyone upgraded Windows 8 Pro to 8.1 and if so has anyone had any trouble or Issues?

Have done three systems at home and no problems at all. No drivers needed to be updated on my side at all.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
Have done three systems at home and no problems at all. No drivers needed to be updated on my side at all.

I have had 2 issues.

One is due to Creative not working with Windows 8.1.

The other is on my RIVG after upgrading to Win 8.1 I have a watermark on screen saying Secure Boot not setup correctly of something like that.

i did last night, took over an hour, 6 mobo drivers new video card driver and it even re enabled the other hard drive and tried to mess up my vista ultimate install. hope to work with it more tonight

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
No problem here either.....:) it's a great update...makes Win 8 what it should have been a year ago....now if they just change the s**t colour scheme and add tranparency we'll have ourselves an OS!

cx-ray
Level 12
Don't upgrade just yet if you rely on System Image Backup. I think it's pretty much broken on all systems upgraded from the Windows Store. In the 8.1 preview it worked. Something must have changed relatively shortly before the public release.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-system/cant-backup-81-using-system-image...