cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RAIDR Express / SLI - Gaming Performance

aaltments
Level 7
I am interested in purchasing a RAIDR Express SSD but have concerns that it may affect gaming performance.

I currently have a Rampage IV Extreme MOBO and 2x GTX780's in SLI (installed in PCI-e slots 1 and 3). My questions are:
1) Will installing the RAIDR have any affect on gaming performance (even marginal)?
2) Which PCI-e slot will the RAIDR need to be installed in?
4 REPLIES 4

devans
Level 7
I have a Maximus iV formula mobo with 2xGTX780's and a RAIDR.
Not ideal as the RAIDR knocks the PCIE of the 2nd GTX Card down to x4 which is to slow for SLI.
The formula board only has PCIE2x1 slots as an alternative which would limit the performance of the SSD to I believe 400MB/s

Not familiar with the Rampage but you will need to check what happens to the available bandwidth when a 3rd card is present..

Thanks! That's really helpful. I've gone through the manual and the below PCI-E table is the only thing I can find that seems to give the info I might need:

Sorry, I'm I bit of a newbee here, but the way I would understand this is that as per the 3 way SLI row, I could have the GTX780's in slots 1 & 4, and the RAIDR in slot 2. This would keep both GTX780's in x16 (i.e. no impact on gaming performance) and the RAIDR would be in x8 which should be more than enough bandwidth. Does that sound correct?

raidr in slot 1
780 in slot 2
sound card in slot 4
780 in slot 5

that is my setup with the formula v an there is no performance hit.

aaltments wrote:
Thanks! That's really helpful. I've gone through the manual and the below PCI-E table is the only thing I can find that seems to give the info I might need:

Sorry, I'm I bit of a newbee here, but the way I would understand this is that as per the 3 way SLI row, I could have the GTX780's in slots 1 & 4, and the RAIDR in slot 2. This would keep both GTX780's in x16 (i.e. no impact on gaming performance) and the RAIDR would be in x8 which should be more than enough bandwidth. Does that sound correct?

Your assessment is spot on. It is exactly like this. Slot 2 will operate at x2 because that is the max supported by the RAIDR.
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.