cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RAIDR install finally working

light123
Level 7
OK before i begin this is my first pst so be gentle AND this is only how I managed to get this device to work it may not work for everyone.(but hope it does)
Firstly if you are installing as a non OS drive problems are minimal unless you have pcie slot issues ie multi gpu setups, then you will have to find out were to fit this in conjunction with other components.
If like me you wanted to install the OS to the RAIDR then this came with some issues i found hard to get my head around.

As some of the posters here have already said it is imperative you install your OS from a UEFI device.(It is essential you understand how to do this)

ok so heres how i did it, make sure your RAIDR is in LEGACY MODE, follow instruction in this forum to do this then in bios set Secure OS to other OS and CSM as enabled.

Save and exit, boot into BIOS you should now see your UEFI bootable devices (NOT THE RAIDR SSD it is in legacy mode remember do not select it) UEFI devices will start with UEFI dvd, UEFI memstick etc
You MUST INSTALL WINDOWS from UEFI device either cd rom or memory stick, leave the RAIDR in legacy mode start the installation of OS from BIOS BOOT OVERIDE is easiest so you would select UEFI dvdrom or UEFI MEMSTICK for example.

Once you are at the select drive section of the install you may only see 1 drive the RAIDR ssd this is were some of you are getting it wrong (me included) Delete the partition, then click NEW this will create 4 new partitions on the drive this is crucial as you will created the UEFI BOOT LOADER partition , select the largest partition at the bottom and install OS.

When your machine has finished installing windows and reboots for the first time enter bios and you should now see the BOOT LOADER as a selectable bookable device. Now goto the CSM and disable it (unless you wish to boot into something else).

F10 save and exit. Boot back into BIOS and make sure the BOOT LOADER is the prefered device and exit bios SWITCH OFF the PC.

NOW flick the switch to UEFI mode on the RAIDR ssd, power up switch on PC, your pc should now boot straight to the boot loader IE the OS, skipping the usual BIOS steps.

I hope this helps .

I have also included a pdf showing how to update Firmware and Guide to marvell utility etc straight of the support CD.
ASUS ROG Maximus Extreme VI, i7 4770K, Corsair H110 Hydro, 16GB Corsair Dominator Plat, ASUS ROG RAIDR SSD 240gb, Seagate Barracuda 2TB, ASUS 248 144hz monior, Corsair TX750M PSU, Gigabyte GTX780 Windforce 3 GHZ edition, Razer Naga Hex mouse, Corsair K95 Keyboard.
23 REPLIES 23

HiVizMan
Level 40
Thank you for posting this up.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

light123
Level 7
No Problem HiVizMan just hope it helps. just seems very strange that a ROG product was released with so little install information. the little booklet that comes in the box simply says plug in to motherboard in a vacant pcie slot. That is it no info on how to install an OS or even what to expect if its a secondary device. There was more info on the software RAMdisk ROG edition tweak etc.
ASUS ROG Maximus Extreme VI, i7 4770K, Corsair H110 Hydro, 16GB Corsair Dominator Plat, ASUS ROG RAIDR SSD 240gb, Seagate Barracuda 2TB, ASUS 248 144hz monior, Corsair TX750M PSU, Gigabyte GTX780 Windforce 3 GHZ edition, Razer Naga Hex mouse, Corsair K95 Keyboard.

Torkill
Level 7
light123 wrote:
OK before i begin this is my first pst so be gentle AND this is only how I managed to get this device to work it may not work for everyone.(but hope it does)
Firstly if you are installing as a non OS drive problems are minimal unless you have pcie slot issues ie multi gpu setups, then you will have to find out were to fit this in conjunction with other components.
If like me you wanted to install the OS to the RAIDR then this came with some issues i found hard to get my head around.

As some of the posters here have already said it is imperative you install your OS from a UEFI device.(It is essential you understand how to do this)

ok so heres how i did it, make sure your RAIDR is in LEGACY MODE, follow instruction in this forum to do this then in bios set Secure OS to other OS and CSM as enabled.

Save and exit, boot into BIOS you should now see your UEFI bootable devices (NOT THE RAIDR SSD it is in legacy mode remember do not select it) UEFI devices will start with UEFI dvd, UEFI memstick etc
You MUST INSTALL WINDOWS from UEFI device either cd rom or memory stick, leave the RAIDR in legacy mode start the installation of OS from BIOS BOOT OVERIDE is easiest so you would select UEFI dvdrom or UEFI MEMSTICK for example.

Once you are at the select drive section of the install you may only see 1 drive the RAIDR ssd this is were some of you are getting it wrong (me included) Delete the partition, then click NEW this will create 4 new partitions on the drive this is crucial as you will created the UEFI BOOT LOADER partition , select the largest partition at the bottom and install OS.

When your machine has finished installing windows and reboots for the first time enter bios and you should now see the BOOT LOADER as a selectable bookable device. Now goto the CSM and disable it (unless you wish to boot into something else).

F10 save and exit. Boot back into BIOS and make sure the BOOT LOADER is the prefered device and exit bios SWITCH OFF the PC.

NOW flick the switch to UEFI mode on the RAIDR ssd, power up switch on PC, your pc should now boot straight to the boot loader IE the OS, skipping the usual BIOS steps.

I hope this helps .

I have also included a pdf showing how to update Firmware and Guide to marvell utility etc straight of the support CD.

Thank you!, than you!, thank you!, than you!, thank you!, than you!, thank you!, than you!, thank you!, than you!, thank you!, than you!, thank you!, than you!, thank you!, than you!, thank you!, than you!, thank you!, than you!, thank you!, than you!, thank you!, than you!, thank you!, than you!, thank you!, than you!, thank you!, than you!, thank you!, than you!, thank you!, than you!, thank you!

LOL glad it worked..

HiVizMan
Level 40
LOL I guess it fixed a problem for you Torkill. Red the dude to say thanks too please.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Boda08
Level 7
Hi guys,I've followed these steps to a tea with no luck. I'm running rampage extreme IV black edition with the raidr and a gtx 690, I follow the steps then right after the install I go into the bios to boot from the raidr only I can't find it anywhere. The bios doesn't seem to recognise it. Please help this is frustrating having all this top notch gear not working. I'm unable to update firmware on the raidr via the support cd too, maybe that's the prob? I'm not sure if this new motherboard needs anything extra, I'm installing win 8.1 64 bit. Naturally I thought it's all new stuff that should work smoothly. Thanks guys
i7 4930k, Asus Rampage Extreme IV Black Edition, EVGA GTX 690, Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB 2400Mhz, Asus ROG RAIDR 240GB, OCZ Vertex 4 240GB, Creative Sound Blaster ZxR, Corsair AX1200i, Corsair H100i, Win 8.1

Hi basics first is the SSD in legacy mode or UEFI mode if you have tried both with the bios set to defaults then the drive may be DOA especially if you press ctrl+M and you cant access the drive............ do you have another pc or even a mates just to try to see if it pops up, then its the board.

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
What do you see in the BIOS Boda08? if you see Windows Boot Manager you're sweet to go.

Got to sleep fellas, hope to talk to you about it tomorrow 🙂 Thanks again for the support hey
i7 4930k, Asus Rampage Extreme IV Black Edition, EVGA GTX 690, Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB 2400Mhz, Asus ROG RAIDR 240GB, OCZ Vertex 4 240GB, Creative Sound Blaster ZxR, Corsair AX1200i, Corsair H100i, Win 8.1