Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array Boosted_R's Avatar

Running Windows 8.1 on G74SX

Hey guys, just letting you know that win 8.1 works great with all the Win 7 drivers, all FN keys work so far that I can tell. Didn't do a fresh install, but had a legit copy of Win 8 Pro, so I upgraded from Win 7 Ultimate to 8. Keep in mind your Win 8 needs to be fully updated for Win 8.1 to show up in the Windows Store App (only way to get the Win 8.1 upgrade).... Been running it for a day and have zero issues.

For those running an intel card. I ran into one issue where I was getting a DHCP error when trying to connect to wifi. Even though the Win 7 intel wifi drivers was removed I still needed to go into the C drive and delete some intel folders ( see below), and disabled the windows firewall until I connected.

C:\Users\your-user-name\AppData\Roaming\Intel
    C:\ProgramData\Roaming\Intel*
    C:\ProgramData\Intel*

..... So far so good....... my only irritating thing is that some programs I need to right click and run as admin, have to figure out how to run everything as admin
    GL702VSK / GTX 1070 / M.2 960 EVO

HTPC MINI-ITX / FRACTAL CORE 500 / GIGABYTE GA-AB350N / GTX 1050 Ti Windforce OC 4G / RYZEN 5 1600 3.9GHz / M.2 960 EVO / G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 3200MHz
    OLD
    ASUS G74SX-XC1 / INTEL 7260 AC / Samsung 850 PRO / TUNIQ TX-4 / BIOS 203 / 335.23

New ROGer Array

i know, win 8.1 have some difference driver must be reinstall.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array Boosted_R's Avatar

such as ? only driver I needed to reinstall was a win 8 version of my intel wifi...... keep in mind this was a upgrade from 7 --> 8 --> 8.1..... not a clean install
    GL702VSK / GTX 1070 / M.2 960 EVO

HTPC MINI-ITX / FRACTAL CORE 500 / GIGABYTE GA-AB350N / GTX 1050 Ti Windforce OC 4G / RYZEN 5 1600 3.9GHz / M.2 960 EVO / G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 3200MHz
    OLD
    ASUS G74SX-XC1 / INTEL 7260 AC / Samsung 850 PRO / TUNIQ TX-4 / BIOS 203 / 335.23

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

I have also installed windows 8 pro and upgraded to windows 8.1 without problem on my G74sx. everything runs very well.

New ROGer Array

hello, i have also installed windows 8 pro from windows 7 ultimate. Everything worked great, when i upgrade it to windows 8.1, my bluetooth driver doesn't work any more. Any ideas how to fix it?

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by Bradut View Post
    hello, i have also installed windows 8 pro from windows 7 ultimate. Everything worked great, when i upgrade it to windows 8.1, my bluetooth driver doesn't work any more. Any ideas how to fix it?
    I also had problem with Atheros Bluetooth after upgraded to Win8.1, to fix this I had to uninstall Bluetooth driver and reinstall it again.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by Boosted_R View Post
    such as ? only driver I needed to reinstall was a win 8 version of my intel wifi...... keep in mind this was a upgrade from 7 --> 8 --> 8.1..... not a clean install

Hi,

what I did was clean install. will I be able to install my win 7 drivers?
    Last edited by nickneym; 05-20-2014 at 12:24 AM.

New ROGer Array

Hi guys,

I installed windows 8.1 from Windows 7. I installed ATK_Package Version V1.0.0023 and got my keyboard lights, sound, brightness keys to work. But, I am still trying to get the touchpad (F9) to work, and can't find the right driver for it. Still trying to see if I can get the Power4gear back on.
    Please help

New ROGer Array

i have the same issue with my touchpad driver .. can someone help me ?

ROG Enthusiast Array Miliano PC Specs
    Miliano PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)ROG G74SX
    MotherboardMaximus X formula
    Processori7 8700K
    Memory (part number)32GB Gskill Trident Z RGB 3600Mhz
    Graphics Card #1Strix RTX 2080
    MonitorROG P348Q
    Storage #1950 PRO 1TB M.2
    Storage #2860 EVO 2TB SSD
    CPU CoolerROG Strix LC 240 AIO
    CaseThermalTake Core P3
    Power SupplyROG Thor 850W
    Keyboard ROG Claymore / Strix Flare
    Mouse Gladius II
    Headset Steel Series Artis Pro Wireless
    Mouse Pad Rog Sheath
    OS WIN 10 PRO
    Network RouterROG Rapture 5300AC

Quote Originally Posted by jbwf1 View Post
    i have the same issue with my touchpad driver .. can someone help me ?
    yeah this happen to me a while back. First you need to identify which touchpad you have. the G74sx came out with two different types.
    Sentelic, and Synaptics
    To find out on win 8.1
    press WIN+x
    them M for Device Manager
    then click "Mice & other pointing devices"
    then right click on the pointing device and select properties, details.
    it should say something that hints at it being either one, i cant remember what it said for mine, initials for sentelic
    something like slc or stl or tlc
    so then if have the drivers already downloaded, click on drivers tab, the uninstall drivers to remove what ever is on there
    then choose update driver, choose "browse my computer" and go to where ever you put the downloaded driver for that type

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast