cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gene-Z OC'ing Assistance

Retired
Not applicable
I am attempting to get my 2500k to 4.5ghz to start with.

Settings:

CPU Level Up: Auto
AI Overclock Tuner: Manual
Maximum Turbo Ratio setting: 45
Internal PLL Overvoltage: Disabled
EPU: Power Saving Mode: Disabled
Extreme OV: Enabled
CPU Manual Voltage: 1.250
CPU PLL Voltage: 1.7
CPU Spread Specturm: Enabled

Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Tech.: Enabled
Turbo Mode: Enabled

VCore LLC: 75%
VCore Fixed Freq. Mode: 350
VCore Phase Control: Extreme
VCore Over-Current Protection: 140%

What's my problem here? Why does it keep crashing while entering Windows?
9 REPLIES 9

xeromist
First disable speedstep and turbo. You don't want it changing the speed while you are trying to overclock and test.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Retired
Not applicable
I disabled SpeedStep, however I left Turbo enabled. When I disabled it, it made my overclock drop down to 3.3. Am I supposed to change the ratio else where? Because where I changed it before, the option is gone with Turbo disabled.

Edit: Found it.

Also, I wanted to ask about VCore Over-Current Protection: 140%. Is it the same as CPU Current Compatibility?

xeromist
Turbo boost can increase the speed of a single core and keep the others slower. If your goal is to have 4 cores at 4.5 then you do not want turbo boost enabled.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Retired
Not applicable
Okay. Anything else you see that I can do or change?

xeromist
I was mainly advising that because you said you couldn't boot into Windows. Having the options which could change the speed on the fly enabled causes very inconsistent results. Are you still not able to boot with those changes? If you can then I would go back to increasing the ratio to see how it does. Note that turbo ratio is different and only useful when the turbo option is active(as you discovered).

One thing that you did not mention is the bclk. That should be set to 100 and left there.

Retired
Not applicable
It passed 20 IBT!!! Yay! I am starting my 24 hr Prime95 test now!

Retired
Not applicable
I left the bclk option on default.

I am booting into Windows now and running IBT. 3 passes so far.

Retired
Not applicable
Can you please look over my bios settings? It BSOD'd on me during testing again and I just completely started over. So scratch my original settings and watch the movie.

This did pass 24 hours of Prime95 and 20 passes of IBT.

xeromist
I would try manually setting the CPU voltage. Since you already have 75% LLC enabled you should be able to take the listed voltage and tweak with it. I would try decreasing it slightly first and see if you can post. Less voltage is better anyway so if you can get it to work at maybe 1.4 that would be nice. Also is your memory 1.65v memory? Make sure that voltage is set correctly.

Try setting that VCCSA/IO to 1.1

If you haven't already, make sure to read Raja's guide stickied in this forum
http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?2787-Maximus-IV-GENE-Z-BIOS-Guide-Overclocking