cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xonar Essence STX Winodows 8.1 Drivers?

VectorRoll
Level 7
I know this section is on the Phoebus but since it is the closest section to the Xonar Cards I thought I would ask here.

Does anyone know if and when drivers for Windows 8.1 will be released for the Xonar Essence STX?
Also, has anyone used the regular Windows 8 drivers for it with 8.1 and if their were any issues?

I ask because when I first installed Windows 8.1 since its release I had some major issues which I could not identify the source of. I was not leaning toward any of the issues being the sound card but I can not be certain. Long story short, I tried a lot of things to fix them but I ended up reinstalling Windows 8 completely from scratch and am now in the process of installing everything one at a time to test them and make sure they are all working. I am at the Sound Card drivers now but their is no 8.1 drivers for it. I am just wondering if and when drivers for the Xonar Essence STX will be released for (8.1) and if people have had any issues with use the current drivers for Windows 8.

Windows 8.1 Preview I did not have any of the issues which I got after installing the Release version the other day. That is why I am being very caution about this and testing everything one at a time. I am also trying to see what others have experienced. So anything thoughts or information would be appreciated. Thanks...
40 REPLIES 40

Raja
Level 13
There will be no 8.1 drivers for the STX. An updated model will be released that works with the default UAA driver for WHQL compliancy. Without that update MS won't allow WHQL. It's one of the ICs on the card that needs updating. Just how MS is unfortunately.

VectorRoll
Level 7
Well that totally sucks. Microsoft and their evil ways. 🙂

What do I do with this sound card now? I guess I can install it on my Linux machine. What a waste though. Most of what I use it for is apps that are installed on Windows.

I wonder. Could it be that this Sound Card is what caused some of my PC Problems that I got after installing the release version of (8.1)? OH Well. 😞

Here is another question.
What about the On-board sound for my ASUS Sabertooth 990FX? It is the first revision of the board. It has a Realtek ALC892. Will that get a WHQL Driver or will my Mobo need an updated IC?

KILLER_K
Level 10
You need to get realtek drivers from realtek's website.

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/

VectorRoll
Level 7
Yeah it is either Realtek's main site... Or the ASUS site where I get my Drivers for my mobo. Which I am looking at right now and do see that ASUS has one Audio driver for my mobo that is WHQL. I am downloading it right now from ASUS. It was just released on the 15th. I guess I'll have to go into my BIOS and turn it back on. Might as well remove my STX as well before I do so. It is such a great card as well. Shame that its not going to get support for Windows (8.1). 😞

Thanks you two for your help. It was much appreciated. 🙂

sh000kz
Level 8
It's one of the ICs on the card....

seriously

i hope u are not one of the engineers

edit: phoebus have not the same?
Rules are made to be brake
Some Pics of my RIG https://abload.de/gallery.php?key=kQVMUtOc

sh000kz wrote:

edit: phoebus have not the same?

No it does not.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
No it does not.

u know anything about whql driver for phoebus? or is the next driver without whql too?
Rules are made to be brake
Some Pics of my RIG https://abload.de/gallery.php?key=kQVMUtOc

I am skeptical of a new "replacement" version comming out or any drivers for that matter. The Xonar STX is a great card and I don't see why ASUS can't work it out and issue a driver for Windows 8.1. There is the Uni driver, but it has known problems with 8.1 and no ETA on a fix. I am also wondering why ASUS has a driver for Windows 2000 which is unsupported since 2010.

Are we supposed to use the Windows 8 driver now since Microsoft listed the card as compatible? I use it with external headphones (not el-cheapos) and a good driver is a must for me. It's weird that one of the better sound cards out there for audiophiles isn't supported, but those "gaming" cards are.

When can we expect a driver from ASUS for 8.1 (I don't care if it is Microsoft certified or not)?
ASRock Z87 PRO4, i7 4770 (no virtualization or hyperthreading cripple like the K series), ASUS GeForce GTX 680 OC, 16GB RAM DDR3 (1600MHz CL 9), Samsung 840 250GB SSD (Windows 8.1), 2x Seagate Constellation ES.3 1TB (2TB in RAID-0, SATA 6.0Gb/s, 128MB cache)

Tellus
Level 7
Google Uni Xonar, they work in 8.1, they also work alot better then stock drivers.

Lazy link
| Sabertooth p67 rev b | i7 2600k @4,8GHz | 2x8GB 2133MHz Corsair | MSI GamingX GTX 1080@2125MHz | 256GB Samsung 840Pro | MX300 1TB | 2x 120GB Intel 510 | Xonar Phoebus | Zalman ZM-850HP | Logitech G810 & SS Rival 500 | Acer Z35 |