cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need some clarifications with: 1.65V DDR3 on 4770k; Help with: q-code 05 on shut down

Dearka
Level 7
Hello,

A month, or so back I managed to build a new system based the Intel Z87 Express Chipset.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K
MB: ASUS Maximus VI Hero - Intel Z87 Express Chipset

RAM: Kingston HyperX Genesis - 16GB Kit (4x4GB) - DDR3 1600MHz CL9 Intel XMP, Part Number: KHX1600C9D3K4/16GX, Specs: DDR3, 1600MHz, CL9, 1.65V, Unbuffered, 1333MHz, 9-9-9, 1.50V, Profile 1: 1600MHz, 9-9-9, 1.65V, (http://www.kingston.com/datasheets/KHX1600C9D3K4_16GX.pdf)

Video Card: ASUS GeForce GTX 780 DirectCU II
SSD: 2x Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB(SH103S3/120G) (not used in RAID) - SATA3
HDD: 1x WD VelociRaptor 500GB(WD5000HHTZ) – SATA3
PSU: Seasonic Platinum-1000 (SS-1000XP)
Case: Thermaltake Chaser A71

CPU Cooling: Noctua NH-D14
Case Cooling: Front (intake) 200mm fan (600rpm), Rear (exhaust) 120mm fan (1000rpm), Top (exhaust) 200mm fan (600rpm), Side (intake) 200mm fan (600rpm)

Peripherals: SteelSeries Apex Keyboard, SteelSeries Sensei MLG Mouse, Apple Cinema Display 21”

After searching the web for some answers regarding different matters related to my system I can't say I found a final answer to my questions, and I thought I may ask here. So...

1. The RAM. These are from my previous system, and since this RAM kit appeared in ASUS Motherboard Manual and DRAM Qualified Vendors List at 1600MHZ 9-9-9 1.65V, also on Intel Extreme Memory Profiles that was tested with 4770k at 1600MHZ 9-9-9 1.65V and Z87 Chipset (the DIMM module KHX1600C9D3/4GX in that is contained in the above kit KHX1600C9D3K4/16GX), Windows 7 64bit Home Premium does only recognize 16GB RAM, these are low profile so Noctua NH-D14 can fit, and because RAM is much expensive now I choose to keep and use them with XMP profile 1600Mhz 9-9-9-27 1.65V.

Links to check the RAM where I mentioned:
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/gaming/xmp-for-core-processors.html
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1150/MAXIMUS-VI-HERO/M6H_DRAM_QVL_0703.pdf

Also I saw the 4770k memory voltage spec are: 1.50V, <= 1.65V XMP (understood less or equal), 1.35V DDR3L so I thought this RAM Kit is ok.
I put all components together set in UEFI only XMP Profile to 1600Mhz 9-9-9-27 1.65V Installed Windows, benchmarks, tests, played some games for short time like Battlefield 3, Crysis 2, SWTOR... all was OK... no BSOD, hang, freeze, or any other problem. Tested the Ram with Memtest86 - 1 Cycle - no errors. Doing this noticed in ASUS manual a note on Ram that is recommended Ram voltage less than 1.65V, here wasn't less or equal to 1.65V. So I searched on google for people opinions and started to get worry about not damage the IMC/CPU with 1.65V. Most of the people comments were NOOO WAY 1.65V, only a few that run on 1.60V, 1.65V or even 1.71V. So I put back the RAM on default 1333MHZ 9-9-9-21 1.50V.

a) Long story, short in my system configuration, the above RAM with XMP profile set in UEFI 1600Mhz 9-9-9-27 1.65V, it will damage or not the IMC/CPU – CPU on default settings? Should I use it in XMP configuration? I hope for an answer from someone who really know about what is talking about.

b) If I set the XMP profile in UEFI 1600Mhz 9-9-9-27 1.65V, save and enter back in UEFi the DRAM voltage is around 1.668 for example. This is ok?

c) When setting the XMP in UEFI the profile is like this written: 1600Mhz 9-9-9-27 1.65V-1.20V. The 1.20V at the end what is it?

d) If I use the XMP 1.65V on RAM can I think about overclocking the CPU?

Attached ASUS SPD Information:

2. Used the computer for a while then went Start → Shutdown... shut down screen, then display went all black q-code 05 on motherboard, fans, lights in case running. Couldn't reproduce this after.
What I've changed before I get this:
- Updated to latest BIOS 0804 a couple of days ago with the Flashback button from the rear motherboard panel from a USB stick using the marked port for this function.
- Added WD VelociRaptor 500GB(WD5000HHTZ) – SATA3 on Intel SATA port 04. OS is installed on one of the SSDs port 01
- UEFI settings: disabled fan settings to auto adjust, enabled fast boot and done some settings in fast boot section. Hardware fast boot was on disabled.

Any idea about this q-code? Didn't found any 05 q-code in motherboard q-codes list from the motherboard's manual.

3. Never had a 10000rpm HDD. Have nothing on it, and didn't accessed but noticed that from 1,2sec to 1,2 sec it makes a reading/writing sound like any other HDD and of course HDD lights up.
This is a normal behavior?

4. Random. When prompt to enter UEFI Press DEL to enter UEFI, mouse light turn of and mouse is not working in UEFI. Exit UEFI, Windows loaded, mouse not working either until I plug out the mouse and plug back in the USB port. This also first happened after the updated yo 0804 UEFI.

Note: Didn't blame the UEFI update I just mention what was changed when some of the above happene%%d. And in this period I haven't installed any new software beside the Regular Windows Updates when were available. Also mouse and keyboard are plugged in the 2 USB ports near the PS2 connector in the rear motherboard panel.
- Dearka
10 REPLIES 10

Chino
Level 15
a) Although the official Intel specifications recommend 1.5V memory kits, running 1.65V nowadays is pretty standard. And we've been defying Intel's specification since the Sandy Bridge days. Will 1.65V kill your IMC? Heck no.

b) It's perfectly normal. There willalways be a 1% variation in the voltage you set.

c) Quick crash course for you. VTT is the voltage for the IMC and VDIMM is the voltage being fed to your RAM. The rule is that your VDIMM should not be 0.5V above your VTT because it will cause instability. So 1.65V is your VDIMM and 1.2V is your VTT. If you do a simple subtraction (1.65V-1.2V), you get 0.45V as a result which means you're well within the parameter.

d) Of course, you can overclock your CPU.

2. If you have the Intel RST software installed, remove it and the system should shutdown normally.

3. No idea. What do you use that HDD for?

4. Try sawpping USB ports.

Thank you both for for clarifying the RAM voltage question. I will start using that XMP profile - 1600Mhz 9-9-9-27 1.65V-1.20V.

Chino wrote:
c) Quick crash course for you. VTT is the voltage for the IMC and VDIMM is the voltage being fed to your RAM. The rule is that your VDIMM should not be 0.5V above your VTT because it will cause instability. So 1.65V is your VDIMM and 1.2V is your VTT. If you do a simple subtraction (1.65V-1.2V), you get 0.45V as a result which means you're well within the parameter.

Thanks for the info. Went and checked in UEFI the 2 parameters that you mention. Found them in Extreme Tweaker tab as DRAM Voltage (I assume this is VDIMM you mentioned) and VTTDDR Voltage (also assumed this is VTT you mentioned).
And here are my values:

1. Default settings in UEFI, only Fan Controls are set to disabled.
Dram Voltage = 1.517v ; VTTDDR Voltage = 0.750v ; 1.517-0.750 = 0.767v

2. XMP set to enable , rest on default as before in UEFI, also Fan Controls are set to disabled.
Dram Voltage = 1.665v ; VTTDDR Voltage = 0.825v ; 1.665-0.825 = 0.840v

So in both cases it exceed the 0.5v difference. In UEFI noticed that CPU is running at 3.5Ghz @ 1.056v on cores. Here is the Voltage Monitor screen.

In rest:

About overclocking the CPU I didn't formulate the correct question. I meant in case I use the XMP Profile with DRAM Voltage 1.65v can I overclock as I would with 1.50v DRAM or I need to pay attention on some other voltages to compensate the increased voltage on Dram Voltage and VTTDDR Voltage that possible may result in extra heat on the CPU?

The hang on shutdown, black screen and q-code 05 occurred only one time, I think on first shutdown after UEFI update to 0804. But makes sense what HiVizMan said:
05 Q-Code is a seldom seen indicator of bios training that is/has just been completed not likely you will see it again.

Unistalled IRST anyway. Thought that was required. In case you know some pros/cons not using please tell me. Noticed that after I unistalled it HWMonitor now shows correct temp on WD5000HHTZ HDD, before was showing the same temp as the secondary SSD.

On WD5000HHTZ HDD. The HDD seemed to work ok, tested sped with HDTune, done some copy on it, scandisk with no bads showing the only thing was that it was making a "tick-tock, tick-tock..."(continuously from 1.5sec to 1.5sec) working sound with LED indicator lit on "tock" when the HDD was not in used at all, anyway it was just empty after format as GUID partition then scandisk. But not that clicking noise like on YouTube videos showing HDD that failed. Just normal read/write short sound.
Anyway I investigated more on this and notice that this happens only when I use HWMonitor 1.23 that is running from SSD not on the HDD. Possible because HWMonitor read it's temperature? And because these days I used all the time HWMonitor this behavior seemed permanent.

Finally on Mouse some times not working in UEFI... tried different USB ports, same behavior occurred. Set in UEFI Fast Boot to disable and from now the mentioned behavior doesn't appear anymore. I will investigate more on this.

Note on BIOS update: 1 - renamed the downloaded .CAP file from ASUS website(MAXIMUS VI HERO page) with the mentioned name in the MB manual "M6H.CAP"; 2 - copied to a FAT32 4GB Memory Stick; 3 - Shut down the PC; 4 - disconnected all devices from the rear MB back panel(only power cable left connected to the PSU); 5 - inserted the memory stick in the marked USB port below the BIOS Flashback button(the one with white outline); 6 - pressed and hold the BIOS Flashback till it lit up; 7- released the button(light from button started to blink); 8 - waited the button light to go out (meantime the light from button blinked, also the stick light); 9 - light from button and light from stick went out, waited 10-20sec to be sure; 10 - reconnected all devices - power on
- Dearka

HiVizMan
Level 40
1 No worries running 1.65

2 The voltage set and the actual voltage delivered is somewhere between what you see on the monitoring software, the bios and what you have set. The only way to really know is to use a DMM and measure it. As was said quite normal and not to worry about. 05 Q-Code is a seldom seen indicator of bios training that is/has just been completed not likely you will see it again.

3 Intel market their product as a K SKU that is an unlocked multi as you know, and that is for overclocking so yes if you wish to OC then do so.

4 IRST the latest one, has been identified as the cause. You can use an older version with no shut down issues.

5 Mechanical drives will make noise, they spin up, and a 10 000 RPM drive especially. I remember my Raptors for example they used to really wail.

6 USB issue, how do you update your BIOS?
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan
Level 40
My I be very direct here. With Haswell you do not need to overcomplicate or over think your OC. There are three settings you basically need to change voltage wise.

The first you do with the XMP profile and then you leave the DDR3 memory settings alone.
The second is your LLC - this is found in the Digi+ section and you set to level 4 or 5
And finally the vcore it self.
A couple of choices here, manual, adaptive or offset. Offset being the one I prefer and the one I suggest folks use.

Simple process to do.
Select the mode of voltage to offset
+

That is for a typical 44x multiplier, some CPUs will need the offset amount to be increased to 0.030 or even higher (CPU dependant)

That is it.

USB Flash back.

You have it pretty much laid out how it goes, the one thing that is very different from when I do it to when you do it. Is the duration, my duration of the bios flashing (as indicated by the blinking lights both on the motherboard two bios led and the activity indicator on the USB stick I use) is way way longer than what you report. The duration you report is most commonly see when your are flashing an already flashed bios. In other words you are attempting to flash over a bios with the same bios.

The reason for the often very long duration of this process is the firmware update that can occur.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Hi again,

Thanks for the tips on OC 4770k.
When you have time can you look on the posted voltage difference between the VTTDDR Voltage and DRAM Voltage and tell me your opinion?
I will start maybe a separate OC thread if it will be the case.

HiVizMan wrote:

Select the mode of voltage to offset
+

That is for a typical 44x multiplier, some CPUs will need the offset amount to be increased to 0.030 or even higher (CPU dependant)

Both two values are correct in that context? Or you miss a decimal in first value for offset?

HiVizMan wrote:

You have it pretty much laid out how it goes, the one thing that is very different from when I do it to when you do it. Is the duration, my duration of the bios flashing (as indicated by the blinking lights both on the motherboard two bios led and the activity indicator on the USB stick I use) is way way longer than what you report. The duration you report is most commonly see when your are flashing an already flashed bios. In other words you are attempting to flash over a bios with the same bios.

The reason for the often very long duration of this process is the firmware update that can occur.

Here I meant, on step 9 that I waited 10-20 sec after the lights went down on button and stick to make sure the update process was complete. The entire blinking was longer maybe 1-1:30min from 0711 to 0840... and yes in case you flash with the same UEFI version the update process will be shorter.

Thank you for all advices, especially for the 1.65v DRAM and q-code 05 clarifications.
- Dearka

HiVizMan
Level 40
Thank you for spotting that, I have corrected the typo.

The VTDDR voltage which should be left on auto pretty much all the time, and the Dram voltage which is dependant on the chips used in the modules and how high you are OC them. Not really sure I understand what it is you are asking - sorry it has been a long day. 🙂

Dearka
Level 7
It's no problem.

I was reffering at this:
Chino wrote:

My XMP profile is written like this "1600Mhz 9-9-9-27 1.65V-1.20V" when selecting.
Chino mentioned that 1.20v is the VTT value (and in UEFi I found VTTDDR parameter, that I assumed is the VTT that Chino mentioned). SO I checked the values to see if that apply.

I have these 2 situations set in UEFI:

1. All auto/default settings in UEFI, get these readings in UEFI:
Dram Voltage = 1.517v ;
VTTDDR Voltage = 0.750v ;
-------------------------
1.517-0.750 = 0.767v

2. XMP set in UEFI rest on auto/default settings, get these values in UEFI:
Dram Voltage = 1.665v ;
VTTDDR Voltage = 0.825v ;
-------------------------
1.665-0.825 = 0.840v

So in both cases it exceed the 0.5v difference, and wanted to know why my differences values are higher than the max. 0.5v Chino mentioned. I'm just curious why. Or I interpreted wrong that formula: VTTDDR Voltage - DRAM Voltage <= 0.5v ?
- Dearka

HiVizMan
Level 40
Nope that is not the same thing at what he mentioned. The terms are confusing at times because the different vendors use different terms for the same things.
VCCIO and VCSSA are the closest to VTT on ASUS.

Seriously you do not need to worry about that at all.

Dearka
Level 7
Ok, thanks for the reply. Then we can consider this thread closed.

All the best.
- Dearka