cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cleaning?

BlackHawk
Level 7
Well considering removing the cover doesn't even allow you to stick your finger onto the fan to prevent it from spinning when you blow compressed air through the vent is there any way to actually clean them out without having to resort to tear apart basically the entire laptop just to access them? Just curious if there was an easier way.
10 REPLIES 10

villiansv
Level 11
Maybe you can stick a piece of wire that's thin enough to go through the grille and reach the fan? Other than that, unless you completely tear down the laptop, you can't reach the fans.

Zygomorphic
Level 17
Welcome to ROG, @BlackHawk! 🙂 Actually, @villiansv's suggestion is a good one. An unfolded paper-clip will do nicely, provided that you leave the last bit folded over so that the paper-clip can't accidentally get blown/fall inside the fan. It will prevent the fan from spinning, just be sure to gently insert it. +rep, @villiansv!
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

BlackHawk
Level 7
hmm the paperclips i have all seem to be way too fat to fit all the way through since the grilles are really deep. Oh well... guess it just means no more blowing half a can through the vents.

Dr__Zchivago
Level 12
If you have a pair of sidecutters, and if you have an old spiral notebook that you don't care about - you can cut and straighten a nice length of that wire as long as you need. It's super stiff stuff and it's thin enough to fit.

I have used long Q-tips (not for your ears!) with isopropyl alcohol to reach places I am unable, or unwilling, to disassemble. There are nice stalk lights that make it easier to see where you are touching deep inside the device.

I don't have a particularly dust free environment, but I don't see a need to blow out the dust at the vent end, yet. Finding the intakes and keeping them clean would be where I would start - and if there isn't any filtering at the intake you can put some mesh in place to trap the dust before it comes in to the laptop. Then you can blow off the dust on the outside facing part of the mesh. For my desksides I do that once a month, or so.

hmscott wrote:
I have used long Q-tips (not for your ears!) with isopropyl alcohol to reach places I am unable, or unwilling, to disassemble. There are nice stalk lights that make it easier to see where you are touching deep inside the device.

I don't have a particularly dust free environment, but I don't see a need to blow out the dust at the vent end, yet. Finding the intakes and keeping them clean would be where I would start - and if there isn't any filtering at the intake you can put some mesh in place to trap the dust before it comes in to the laptop. Then you can blow off the dust on the outside facing part of the mesh. For my desksides I do that once a month, or so.

I believe he's at the point where it has become necessary to blow out the cooling ducts.

I have covered every square inch of this laptop (I should mention that I have a G55vw and not a G750), and the best idea I have come up with so far is that the "intake" is the keyboard and the area around the memory slots. I have been unable to locate any airflow diagrams, but as soon as I get it figured out for certain, I'll put up some diagrams (if anyone can shed some light immediately, that'd be marvelous).

@Blackhawk - did you try the spiral notebook idea? Any thin, stainless steel wire works well (I suggested the spiral notebook wire because that's what I used).

Dr. Zchivago wrote:
I believe he's at the point where it has become necessary to blow out the cooling ducts.

@Blackhawk - did you try the spiral notebook idea? Any thin, stainless steel wire works well (I suggested the spiral notebook wire because that's what I used).

Hasn't quite reached that point but I just want to make sure when it does I'm able to do it, since the fact that you can't even hold down the fans of the laptop by opening the service panel is kind of BS. As for the wire idea it's kind of a tight fit but i guess it works. Kind of a clumsy method to do something that was supposed to be an easy task on most laptops though, especially gaming ones.

Dr. Zchivago wrote:
If you have a pair of sidecutters, and if you have an old spiral notebook that you don't care about - you can cut and straighten a nice length of that wire as long as you need. It's super stiff stuff and it's thin enough to fit.

Hadn't thought about that. Good one!

Dr. Zchivago wrote:
I have covered every square inch of this laptop (I should mention that I have a G55vw and not a G750), and the best idea I have come up with so far is that the "intake" is the keyboard and the area around the memory slots. I have been unable to locate any airflow diagrams, but as soon as I get it figured out for certain, I'll put up some diagrams (if anyone can shed some light immediately, that'd be marvelous).

The intake should be the grille above the keyboard, where the speakers are located. That, and any slots on the bottom of the notebook. I know for certain that's true for the G53SX (previous model to yours), and the G73JH was similar (it also used the subwoofer grille as an air intake). Unfortunately, I don't have any official air-flow diagrams to share. 😞
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

villiansv
Level 11
The closest I've seen to an airflow diagram is a pic on http://promos.asus.com/us/G750/ - blue/red airflow in the Sustain the Power section. Seems to confirm the intake is on top, not the bottom.

Non-official sources would be disassembly pics. http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/726296-asus-g750-disassembly.html - I simply don't see a way for the fans to suck in air from the bottom, going by where they are located. There are no grilles on the bottom of the laptop there.