cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus v Extreme, Xonar phoebus, GTX 580 Dcii Problems

Brute_Force
Level 7
Hi guys, at this point i am so desperate that i am just one step a way from giving my very desktop to the garbage man.... PLEASE HELP ME!

I am having problems with 2 GTX580 Dcii and a Xonar Phoebus (asus soundcard) on Rampage v Extreme motherboard.

the problem is this, i only can enable SLI when having my 1 GTX 580 in slot 1 (PciE_X8X16_1) and the other one in the 3ec.

When i'd get me a xonar poebus soundcard, Myu first Gpu is in slot1(PciE_X8X16_1) i was able 2 fit it in the black PciE slot(PciE_X8_2B). But it won't recognized by windows or bios, find below how i installed it

i did had an other option, the 1st gtx580 in slot 1((PciE_X8X16_1) and the other one in the black PciE slot(PciE_X8_2B), and my xonar phoebus installed on the last PciE slot(PciE_X8_4), but then the motherboard nor windows wouldnt recognize the second GTX580 and the xonar phoebus as well.

I've 2 mention that when it's in sli ( that means the graphic cards are in slo: PciE_X8X16_1 and PciE_X8_3).
the first 1 is Native and the second is PLX

So if someone could help me out with this one, thank!
17 REPLIES 17

revenge666
Level 7
are u shure is RAMPAGE V Extreme ? or MAXIMUS ? have did you configure de Bandwith of the PCI SLOTS? you shuld have x8 x8 x1 for the phoebus i think
MAximusS V Extreme + XFX 7970 black ed CrossfireX + 3 tb WD Black + Crucial m4 OS/Games + TT 1000W TRX2 + 4 Multi -Display + Xonar DX7.1 + Core i7 3770k + 16gb Gskill TridentX 2.4ghz + LG 2486l display x 3 + philips 42" tv + Thermaltake element V + Harmand/Kardon and Polkaudio 5.1 sound system ready 😛

erc7ws@hotmail.com wrote:
are u shure is RAMPAGE V Extreme ? or MAXIMUS ? have did you configure de Bandwith of the PCI SLOTS? you shuld have x8 x8 x1 for the phoebus i think

yes i am very shure it's a ASUS ROG Maximus V extreme, so sorry about the title....however in my bios configuration this is what i see

PCIE1 /x8 native\ Gen2

PCIE2a / - \auto

PCIE2b / - \Gen2 (black one)

PCIE3 / - \auto

PCIE4 / - (x1) \Gen2

But in windows it wont sow up and sli is disabled (just that it sees 1 card in gpu z).

if i put the asus phoebus card in the middle slot (black one) SLI is working just fine. but then the asus phoebus card will not work....

revenge666
Level 7
hummm... have you checked to have all PCI slots ON on the deep switch in the maximus? i have the same motherboard... crossfire 7970 but my sound card uses the small pci slot (xonar dx)

check that the 4 switches are in ON position...
could you post your bios config?

have your PSU enough power to manage the 2 video cards?

if you set all in AUTO? your pci bandwith?... may be the motherboard manage itself to config this...

and at the end of that page in the bios i remember there is an option to force gen 3... how did you configure that?
MAximusS V Extreme + XFX 7970 black ed CrossfireX + 3 tb WD Black + Crucial m4 OS/Games + TT 1000W TRX2 + 4 Multi -Display + Xonar DX7.1 + Core i7 3770k + 16gb Gskill TridentX 2.4ghz + LG 2486l display x 3 + philips 42" tv + Thermaltake element V + Harmand/Kardon and Polkaudio 5.1 sound system ready 😛

The problem is not the GPUs, the Phoebus should be in the PCI-E 2.0 slot, not one of the GPU slots. Putting the Phoebus in the bottom slot is throwing the board off thinking you are running tri-SLI. Move the Phoebus to slot #5 (PCI-E 2.0) and let us know how it goes. According to the manual and card that came with your board you should use slots # 1 & 3 for SLI so your GPUs are correct.

When you move the Phoebus and boot go into the BIOS, what does it show under the GPU sub-menu? You should see both GPUs, if not check the manual for the proper SLI settings or come back here.
I'd rather be a smartass than a dumbass!!!

Maximus V Extreme - 3770K @ 4.5ghz - Kingston Hyper X KHX24C11K4/16X 16GB @ 2400mhz
Corsair Hydro Series H80i - 2 x MSI GTX 770 Lightning - Samsung 830 SSD 256GB - WD Caviar Black 2TB
Xonar Phoebus - Corsair AX1200i - Antec Eleven Hundred - LG 27EA63V

Highlnder3 wrote:
The problem is not the GPUs, the Phoebus should be in the PCI-E 2.0 slot, not one of the GPU slots. Putting the Phoebus in the bottom slot is throwing the board off thinking you are running tri-SLI. Move the Phoebus to slot #5 (PCI-E 2.0) and let us know how it goes. According to the manual and card that came with your board you should use slots # 1 & 3 for SLI so your GPUs are correct.

When you move the Phoebus and boot go into the BIOS, what does it show under the GPU sub-menu? You should see both GPUs, if not check the manual for the proper SLI settings or come back here.

i have 3-slot-card so it's impossible to do it that way... and i just see only one gpu checked the sli cable and bridge(working just fine).

so the only available options is to have it run in slot 6 (PciE-4.0),

don't know what to do i will do everything it takes to get it work, just let me know if i can provide you something to help me out!

revenge666 wrote:
hummm... have you checked to have all PCI slots ON on the deep switch in the maximus? i have the same motherboard... crossfire 7970 but my sound card uses the small pci slot (xonar dx)

check that the 4 switches are in ON position...
could you post your bios config?

have your PSU enough power to manage the 2 video cards?

if you set all in AUTO? your pci bandwith?... may be the motherboard manage itself to config this...

and at the end of that page in the bios i remember there is an option to force gen 3... how did you configure that?

if you tell me how and what you want to see i'll make screenshot and post them over here,

i do have 1050W psu so that would be more than enough of juice is suppose

i'd tried every option and every combination, with force of gen 3 x16 and what's so ever i can't come up with something i didn't try i think,

HiVizMan
Level 40
You do know you can set the bottom slot to run at 1x in the bios.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
You do know you can set the bottom slot to run at 1x in the bios.

just tell me how to do so because i see that it all ready sees that it is 1x

Brute Force wrote:
just tell me how to do so because i see that it all ready sees that it is 1x

This is what I was afraid of, he still has the last PCI-E 3.0 slot setup for GPU.
I'd rather be a smartass than a dumbass!!!

Maximus V Extreme - 3770K @ 4.5ghz - Kingston Hyper X KHX24C11K4/16X 16GB @ 2400mhz
Corsair Hydro Series H80i - 2 x MSI GTX 770 Lightning - Samsung 830 SSD 256GB - WD Caviar Black 2TB
Xonar Phoebus - Corsair AX1200i - Antec Eleven Hundred - LG 27EA63V