cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help: The Xonar Phoebus wont change between headphones and my stereo speakers!

SeanTheGamer
Level 7
For some reason when i plug in my headphones and later unplug them for any reason the card wont output any sound to my speakers, without uninstalling and re-installing my drivers, and all the software related to sound, EQ, etc... i made sure to check the Xonar software and select the line in, instead of the headphones (which no longer show up) and i tried changing the sample rate, and restarting, etc. but nothing seems to work other than uninstalling and re-installing all the drivers 😞 any help would be appreciated. 🙂
12 REPLIES 12

Glasofruix
Level 8
Line-in? Why in the world?

KILLER_K
Level 10
SeanTheGamer, Could you possible explain how you have everything hooked up? Also are you using the breakout box? Not 100% sure of the line in statement you used.

Neumi
Level 7
Try to switch the driver to speakers BEFORE unplugging the headphones, that should do the trick.

i have the same problem my headset and my skeaker are always connected to the sound card and i use the asus driver to switch to headset or speaker but in game (all game) impossible to switch . The sound continue to play to the last audio used. I have windows 8.1 with the last driver for the phoebus

Raja
Level 13
That might be due to exclusive control handed over to the game. Try disabling the exclusive control checkbox in device properties within control panel.

Geoff44
Level 7
thx for the Quick response but it didn't work. In fact when i start the game with headset and i choice speaker afetr the launch the sound of the game keep in headset but other new open application like windows media player or vlc ... play on the speaker

WTC
Level 7
I think that's how it's designed to do (by Windows audio system, not Phoebus software). While selecting output device in Phoebus control SW (or Windows audio control panel), you are assigning the "default output device", which tells applications which output device to use at start up. If your game already started, the game will use the default output device. Switch default output device without restarting the game will not change the output path for the game. Usually in the games's audio option there is a designated output device selection. That might be the right place for changing the output device for game.

I believe this is how Windows makes "multiple streaming" work. (Different applications using different output device for playback at the same time) I'm not sure if this policy is different between Vista/Win7/Win8/Win8.1.

Geoff44
Level 7
OK I understand your point of view. But all my games do not have this option. Because there is the option to change the driver for the sound card that is dedicated gamer I would have thought it would have been provided by asus. I'll look on the side windows and veréfié in games that have that option unfortunately. Sorry for my bad english I'm French.

Thx for your response

WTC wrote:
I think that's how it's designed to do (by Windows audio system, not Phoebus software). While selecting output device in Phoebus control SW (or Windows audio control panel), you are assigning the "default output device", which tells applications which output device to use at start up. If your game already started, the game will use the default output device. Switch default output device without restarting the game will not change the output path for the game. Usually in the games's audio option there is a designated output device selection. That might be the right place for changing the output device for game.

I believe this is how Windows makes "multiple streaming" work. (Different applications using different output device for playback at the same time) I'm not sure if this policy is different between Vista/Win7/Win8/Win8.1.

That's EXACTLY how it works, some games allow you to select the desired output (GW2, SC2, D3 to name a few) while some others don't. The best way remains to select the output you want is to do it before launching the game.